You are not logged in.

#1 2005-05-08 20:34:59

pobudz
Website

creating an Arch Install DVD from my Arch CD/pacman cache

okay... I'm not sure exactly WHAT needs to be done to make this happen, however I've managed a few things

So far I've got 525 some packages in the arch/pkg folder, and mirrored it to arch/pkg/setup/packages.txt. The ISO is about 1.4gb.

The only problem I am running into, is that once I select the packages and it installs pacman, it says "failed sync to database: current, have you tried to run --refresh"

Do I have to mess with the pacman package in arch/pkg/setup? or is there something else I need to edit/add/fix.

I've got the arch cd iso mounted to /mnt/iso
I've got a replica (the one im creating) in /home/arch_dvd
I've got the dvd iso made and mounted in vmware 4.5.2-8848

Perhaps its a VMware issue? I don't have a spare computer to test it on, nor do I really want to waste DVDs.

If its out there, I'll sniff it

http://www.wifiscan.net/

#2 2005-05-08 21:52:32

dp
Website

Re: creating an Arch Install DVD from my Arch CD/pacman cache

if you are installing packages from arch/pkg folder, you need to run pacman -U /path/to/package-123-1.pkg.tar.gz

the best way to handle your situation would be to create a locale repository (gensync) and then put this on the DVD image

hope this helps - good luck

The impossible missions are the only ones which succeed.

#3 2005-05-09 02:57:00

iBertus

#4 2005-05-09 19:01:49

pobudz
Website

that script is well written... just a few modifications and i will obtain my goal of a fully loaded arch DVD (all current and most extra and a few community) for those 56k ppl @ my school interested in arch w/o the downloads

#5 2005-05-09 19:03:37

phrakture
Arch Overlord
Website

pobudz wrote:

for those 56k ppl @ my school interested in arch w/o the downloads

for the record, I highly suggest against giving people an Archlinux install disc if they cannot download updates....

#6 2005-05-09 19:43:24

CyberTron
Website

pobudz wrote:

that script is well written... just a few modifications and i will obtain my goal of a fully loaded arch DVD (all current and most extra and a few community) for those 56k ppl @ my school interested in arch w/o the downloads

When you are done, having a fully working arch-install dvd, please share your script big_smile

I would like to do a "custom-made" version that has everything I want in one dvd

big_smile

good luck

http://www.linuxportalen.com  -> Linux Help portal for Linux and ArchLinux (in swedish)

Dell Inspiron 8500
Kernel 2.6.14-archck1  (selfcompiled)
Enlightenment 17

#7 2005-05-10 06:40:29

Spider.007

pobudz wrote:

I am working on improving the script so your request will be easy to complete. Keep an eye on that thread smile

#8 2005-05-13 11:52:16

droog

phrakture wrote:

for the record, I highly suggest against giving people an Archlinux install disc if they cannot download updates....

What would be wrong with someone using arch without doing suy every day or ever for that matter? It would be fine just downloading the new Iso at every release and using that until the next release if it had the packages you needed on it.

The only thing you would need to update is the occasional security related problems or bugs that affect you, which are usually pretty rare. If you like arch and dont want to constantly be updating, it will still work great.  I think people using arch are so used to mostly needless updates that they think no one should use arch without doing the same.

I realize you wouldn't be utilizing one of the best things about arch, but i don't see why everyone basically says you shouldn't use arch unless you use it this way. I'm not directing this at anyone, I just keep seeing this response from the community and dont really agree with it.

#9 2005-05-13 21:40:21

jerem

if it had the packages you needed on it

Come on, the Arch official cd only has 10% of the packages I use.... and is filled with 90% that most people would never use...

#10 2005-05-13 22:40:17

droog

I guess you missed my point.

I was saying that i didn't see the need to try to run people off from arch if  internet wasnt available to them. if you have the packages you need, arch is still a good distro even without internet.

if you built a custom cd like most people want to that have limited internet you would have what you needed, whats wrong with that? I wasn't claiming that the full iso had what everyone needed, just that if you had a cd with what you did need Where's the problem?

#11 2005-05-16 17:57:53

pobudz
Website

i had the DVD to the point where everything would get passed dependency check, and then onto installing

it started crashing "too many files open"... the only way to keep this from happening is modifying the actual boot CD is it not? At this point I was near 1500 some pacakges.

Oh, and I got rid of all but 470 packages... and it would crash after installing kshutdown without any error messages, just Failed. So either direction I went, it would crash.

#12 2005-05-18 01:51:03

Euphoric Nightmare

I know everyone thinks that Arch is bad for people that can't download updates all day, but I have found this distro to be the best...even without an internet connection at home...

Board footer