You are not logged in.

#1 2011-07-17 12:55:59

w1ntermute

SMPlayer cant replay mkv's unlss .config/smplayer/file_settings deletd

I'm using extra/mplayer 33805-1 & extra/smplayer 0.6.9-3 on Arch x64, and if I try to replay an MKV file, the video doesn't show up. Instead, the file starts playing the audio from a few minutes in, with nothing but a black screen. Deleting ~/.config/smplayer/file_settings seems to fix this, but then I lose all the position data for previously played videos. Any ideas on fixing this?

Thanks!

#2 2011-07-17 17:09:55

karper

Re: SMPlayer cant replay mkv's unlss .config/smplayer/file_settings deletd

Can you play the video using mplayer directly? As I understand it, smplayer just uses mplayer in slave mode to play the videos.

If mplayer has issues as well, look in .mplayer/config. This is the file that mplayer uses to save its configuration. My (simple version) .mplayer/config file looks like this:

# Write your default config options here!
ao=alsa
nolirc=yes
msgcolor=yes

If mplayer works fine, then the problem is likely smplayer-specific. In that case, try moving the smplayer configuration files to another location and try with default settings for smplayer. With luck, it'll be some config file in .smplayer that's borked.

Good luck!

Last edited by karper (2011-07-17 17:10:22)

#3 2011-07-18 07:27:24

w1ntermute

karper wrote:

try moving the smplayer configuration files to another location and try with default settings for smplayer. With luck, it'll be some config file in .smplayer that's borked.

Like I said, deleting ~/.config/smplayer/file_settings/ fixes the problem, so the issue is SMPlayer-specific. However, I would prefer not to have to do this, because it results in me losing playback positions for recently watched videos.

Last edited by w1ntermute (2011-07-18 07:27:46)

#4 2011-07-18 07:38:02

karper

It's a last resort. Besides, I don't remember if smplayer stores the playback positions in the same file as other configuration options. If it's a separate file (and it should be), then you can leave the playback positions file alone and just move the configuration options file.

So, did mplayer work fine by itself?

#5 2011-07-18 07:55:16

w1ntermute

karper wrote:

It's a last resort. Besides, I don't remember if smplayer stores the playback positions in the same file as other configuration options. If it's a separate file (and it should be), then you can leave the playback positions file alone and just move the configuration options file.

That's still not a good solution. I have to do this each time I want to reopen an MKV. It's not a one-time thing.

karper wrote:

So, did mplayer work fine by itself?

Yes.

#6 2011-07-19 03:06:30

stqn
Website

I have the same mplayer and smplayer versions as you, and also under Arch 64 bit. I've just tried stopping an mkv file and re-launching it with smplayer, and it worked fine; the position was memorized and it restarted from the right spot.

Have you tried with clean mplayer and smplayer config directories?

If that doesn't work, I have no other idea than to delete only the file_settings file that concerns this particular video, but they didn't make it easy since the file names aren't stored in there... Smplayer is using some sort of 64 bit hash to identify the videos... (So that's not a sha nor a md5 sum - they are bigger than 64 bits.)

#7 2011-07-23 09:02:14

w1ntermute

I managed to figure it out. I had this line in my ~/.mplayer/config:

[extension.mkv]
demuxer=mkv

Commenting it out fixed the problem. Though I must've added that for some reason, so hopefully it doesn't have other side-effects.

Last edited by w1ntermute (2011-07-23 09:02:35)

Board footer