You are not logged in.

#1 2011-07-19 17:05:46

esuhl

Thunar opening delay, opening twice, and "folder could not be opened"

I use the Thunar file manager under XFCE on a 64-bit Arch build and, until a month or so ago, it worked as expected.  Now, the first time I execute Thunar after running XFCE, there is a delay (of about 25 seconds) before the Thunar window opens, then after another (~25s) delay, either a second Thunar window opens or I get a "Launch Error" message window with the following text:

Did not receive a reply. Possible causes include: the remote application did not send a reply, the message bus security policy blocked the reply, the reply timeout expired, or the network connection was broken.

There doesn't seem to be any pattern to whether a second window opens or I get the error message, although most of the time I get two Thunar windows and no error message.

After I have opened Thunar once, I can close it and it subsequently opens as expected (takes <1s to open, gives no error and doesn't open multiple windows).  If I log out of XFCE, then run it again, the problem occurs again.

I also noticed that if I run Thunar from a command prompt, I get the following error message:

thunar: symbol lookup error: /usr/lib/libstdc++.so.6: undefined symbol: _ZNSt14error_categoryD2Ev, version GLIBCXX_3.4.15

Would anyone have any suggestions as to what might be causing the problem or how I can investigate further?

Many thanks in advance :-)

#2 2011-07-23 21:44:11

esuhl

Re: Thunar opening delay, opening twice, and "folder could not be opened"

Well, I tried re-installing Thunar, but (as expected) it didn't help... :-(

#3 2011-07-27 03:24:57

QuimaxW
Website

I'm trying to find a solution to this myself as well. The XFCE bug 7373 was (claimed to be) incorporated into Thunar 1.2.2, so we shouldn't have that problem anymore.

On my system, if I uninstall gvfs-smb, my problems go away. I would like to use smb://xxxxxxx addresses though.

"He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep to gain that which he cannot lose." -Jim Elliot

#4 2011-08-13 13:22:34

esuhl

Sorry for the delay in replying - had a family bereavement :-(

Anyway, thanks for your comments - I uninstalled gvfs-smb and you're right - the problem disappears.  I can live without gvfs-smb for the moment, although I would prefer to be able to have it installed.

Should this be raised as a bug?  I'm happy to do that if it's the right thing to do, but as a total newbie it's not something I've done before!

#5 2011-08-13 14:00:27

QuimaxW
Website

Another option would be to use dolphin or another file manager. I'm not really a KDE fan, but I use several other KDE (or QT if you'd rather) apps anyways so I keep Dolphin installed for more "advanced" file manager features.

"He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep to gain that which he cannot lose." -Jim Elliot

#6 2011-08-13 16:31:17

GSF1200S

You would have to file upstream with XFCE as it isnt a bug with Arch, and theyd prolly close the bug report. I had the same issue on Xubuntu 11.04, and as its frozen on release date, its STILL that way for me; the "fix" they incorporated merely causes thunar to open instant- its just unusable for 30 seconds. Interesting to note- I run thunar with gvfs on Arch but under openbox and I have zero delay issues (on 64bit as well). I really dont know why I dont though- all indications and forums/bug-reports point to this being a thunar/gvfs issue.

I know that only 64 bit systems get the double opening of thunar, though I think both have the delay. Up to date 64bit Arch system running Openbox with no issues in case it helps- perhaps it has something to do with xfce's session manager or something?

#7 2011-08-14 18:56:55

Enverex
Website

Hrm, I'm having this issue too, it's really annoying. Was hoping to find a fix... apparently not.

#8 2012-03-11 00:24:41

plenty

Just gonna chip in here & say I got the very same problem all these months on from the last post. Cant do without my samba. I gotta say - I've lived with this querk now for so long that where once it irritated me greatly it's become normal. It bothers me, but it's become routine for me to open thunar in workspace 2 soon after boot then revert to my browser on the first workspace. Sad or what.

#9 2012-07-27 15:27:45

JackCQ

Hi, just thought I'd mention, that I had this problem as well, not only on ArchLinux but also on Fedora 16. Thanks to the hints
in this thread, I solved it by removing gvfs-smb. As for you need samba, why not go for autofs instead? Instead of accessing
your windows shares via smb://,  just let autofs mount them to a dedicvated directory of your choice and access them like local folders with
Thunar. I have autofs for nfs shares anyway, so it seems like a nice sollution to me, at least until this gets fixed.

Last edited by JackCQ (2012-07-27 15:28:39)

#10 2012-07-28 19:10:46

esuhl

JackCQ wrote:

Hi, just thought I'd mention, that I had this problem as well, not only on ArchLinux but also on Fedora 16... I solved it by removing gvfs-smb.

How recently did you remove gvfs-smb?  I think the issue has been fixed now...  (I still have gvfs-smb installed and on my system Thunar reverted to opening properly about a month or so ago).

#11 2012-08-08 23:04:01

Stemp
Website

esuhl wrote:

How recently did you remove gvfs-smb?  I think the issue has been fixed now...  (I still have gvfs-smb installed and on my system Thunar reverted to opening properly about a month or so ago).

Not fixed, I'm having the issue.

Sorry for my English - Home Page - «Violence never settles anything.» : Genghis Khan, 1162-1227

#12 2012-08-10 07:05:25

Padfoot

I am having the delay issue as well, but only happens as user. Root works instantly. Perhaps a permissions issue between thunar and gvfs?

#13 2012-08-10 07:35:36

WonderWoofy

This should solve the delay.

Edit: If you don't plan on using Thunar as soon as you log in, you can always run it as a daemon.  I don't use thunar anymore, but I think this should cause it to establish a connection upon starting as a daemon, so ~25 seconds later should be ready to go.

Last edited by WonderWoofy (2012-08-10 07:37:31)

#14 2012-08-25 22:59:09

Roken

i solved this by adding

gvfs-ls network: > /dev/null

to xfce session startup. No more delay or double window when starting thunar the first time, and no need to remove anything.

Last edited by Roken (2012-08-25 23:00:46)

Ryzen 5900X 12 core/24 thread - RTX 3090 FE 24 Gb, Asus Prime B450 Plus, 32Gb Corsair DDR4, Cooler Master N300 chassis, 5 HD (1 NvME PCI, 4SSD) + 1 x optical.
Linux user #545703

Board footer