You are not logged in.

#1 2011-07-20 08:42:02

Dheart

Wi fi chip antennae question.

Hey... I bought an Asus eeepc 1201n and I was horribly disappointed with the wi fi solutions (Realthek 8192 se). It couldn't connect at all when signal strenght was below 90%, so I got an Intel Centrino 6200. I replaced it yesterday and so far it works like a charm, but I have one question.

The Realthec had only one antennae, but the intel chip uses 2, however I didn't have another antennae avaliable so I just connected one of them, left the other slot empty and closed the laptop. It works fine, however I don't know what side effects this might have? Besides the obvious lower range, anything else I should know? I won't be able to get a second antennae for 3-4 months, since they're not sold in my country and post is not realible. Is it worth the pain to install a second one in the netbook?

My victim you are meant to be
No, you cannot hide nor flee
You know what I'm looking for
Pleasure your torture, I will endure...

#2 2011-07-20 09:22:08

.:B:.
Forum Fellow
Website

Re: Wi fi chip antennae question.

There are no side effects. The only implication is: the less antennae, the less bandwidth. Your Intel chip can do 300 Mbps, but that's with two antennae - with one, it can only do 150 Mbps theoretically.

I don't know if it's worth installing a second antenna, that's entirely up to you to decide. The thing is - the antennae are usually positioned around the LCD panel.

Last edited by .:B:. (2011-07-20 09:24:15)

Got Leenucks? :: Arch: Power in simplicity :: Get Counted! Registered Linux User #392717 :: Blog thingy

#3 2011-07-20 10:11:40

Dheart

I could install a second antennae by curving it around the space avaliable in the netbook (which is not much) and then sticking it to the panel with some sort of duct tape. It won't work as good as the monitor one (because of the non vertical positioning) but it will be there. My question was whether it'd affect connectivity range, that's all I'm really concerned with.

My previous wi fi refused to connect with signal less than 90% and once connected it refused to work with signal under 70%. Also the driver would crash quite often (Hurray for the buggy realthec drivers... never buy this thing...). Funniest thing was that I could crack a network that I had 20% signal, but I could only connect with my phone, or other laptop... How lame...

My victim you are meant to be
No, you cannot hide nor flee
You know what I'm looking for
Pleasure your torture, I will endure...

#4 2011-07-20 12:01:58

.:B:.
Forum Fellow
Website

My guess is you'll still have the reach of the fully functional antenna, but it's only a guess. I've never done any tests and I don't know if anyone else has. Certainly haven't seen that kind of stuff on tech sites.

Got Leenucks? :: Arch: Power in simplicity :: Get Counted! Registered Linux User #392717 :: Blog thingy

Board footer