You are not logged in.

#26 2011-07-25 17:24:42

ron9

Re: [SOLVED] Can not setup my wireless Broadcom-wl

Are you using an ascii key?

# iwconfig eth0 essid MyEssid key s:asciikey

Take a look at the very good wiki page: https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Wireless

lenovo w500 - huawei matebook 14 | archlinux | swaywm | foot | falkon

#27 2011-07-26 08:17:17

ehabreda
Website

ron9 wrote:

Are you using an ascii key?

# iwconfig eth0 essid MyEssid key s:asciikey

Take a look at the very good wiki page: https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Wireless

No i am using a wep key as mentioned on my router.

I am really stuck here guys, I even installed the ck kernel and it's working fine with nvidia and broadcom-wl but still don't know how to get my wireless started.
I can still see my network in front of my eyes and can't touch it?!

I there any extra tweak with the ck kernel for the wireless?

#28 2011-07-28 04:37:43

msx
Website

ehabreda wrote:
msx wrote:

Hi @ehabreda, guys:

You shoud try start using 'netcfg' (https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Netcfg) instead plain wpa_passphrase/wpa_supplicant.
For a quickstart, if you are using WPA encryption and DHCP just copy /etc/network.d/examples/wireless-wpa to /etc/network.d and edit it to your needs, then issue a # netcfg -u {your network} and it should connect after a couple of seconds.

This is what I got:
Assuming the following *My key is a wep * My wireless is eth1

[ehab@myhost ~]$ sudo netcfg 17
Password: 
:: 17 up                                                                                                                                     [BUSY]
nl80211: 'nl80211' generic netlink not found
ioctl[SIOCSIWMODE]: Operation not supported
ioctl[SIOCGIWRANGE]: Operation not supported
ioctl[SIOCGIWMODE]: Operation not supported
ioctl[SIOCSIWAP]: Operation not supported
ioctl[SIOCSIWENCODEEXT]: Operation not supported
ioctl[SIOCSIWENCODE]: Operation not supported

> WPA Authentication/Association Failed 
                                                                                                                                                [FAIL] 

Gotcha!
Are you using by chance the broadcom-wl module compiled from AUR? I myself got the _exact same error_ two or three days ago after installing it with resulting erratic connection and most of the time having this output (I was told "ioctl" is a frequent error with crappy, bad-coded drivers...)
Then, I tried several other modules -my  64-bits notebook have a BCM4313 card- and finally I make it work with all the features enabled (even the wifi key led is now white instead orange) with the dkms-broadcom-wl package from AUR: https://aur.archlinux.org/packages.php?ID=47615
Hope this helps

Enjoying i3wm w/ lifebar + j4-dmenu-desktop + tab_windows / fish shell / Emacs / tmux / Konsole / KDE apps
Arch + Linux-libre kernel: ParabolaGNULinux.org

#29 2011-07-28 10:59:19

ehabreda
Website

Thanks for your help,

Should I remove the existing driver first? And how?

pacman -R package_name

Or something different?

#30 2011-07-31 14:01:33

msx
Website

ehabreda wrote:

Thanks for your help,

pacman -R package_name

Or something different?

Yes you must, but before going ahead I *suggest* you read first "Broadcom B43" entry in the wiki to learn which driver/module is best for your system AND then download and keep them at hand in your hard disk in case you don't have a wired connection near: I had a hard time until I found the driver that suits me best because depending the driver/module you install you could end up without any network interface available.

Note: I have had to uninstall the previous package because the driver was horrible erratic and now I'm using firmware-brcm80211-git from AUR, as you see until there's a good quality driver avaliable you will need to try several times until you found the one is best for you.

Enjoying i3wm w/ lifebar + j4-dmenu-desktop + tab_windows / fish shell / Emacs / tmux / Konsole / KDE apps
Arch + Linux-libre kernel: ParabolaGNULinux.org

#31 2011-08-03 16:52:16

ehabreda
Website

Hello again,

According to the following post there is a problem with the 64bit edition with the broadcom-wl

https://bbs.archlinux.org/viewtopic.php?id=123131

Can anybody confirm that?

#32 2011-08-17 18:16:33

ehabreda
Website

msx wrote:
ehabreda wrote:

Thanks for your help,

pacman -R package_name

Or something different?

Yes you must, but before going ahead I *suggest* you read first "Broadcom B43" entry in the wiki to learn which driver/module is best for your system AND then download and keep them at hand in your hard disk in case you don't have a wired connection near: I had a hard time until I found the driver that suits me best because depending the driver/module you install you could end up without any network interface available.

Note: I have had to uninstall the previous package because the driver was horrible erratic and now I'm using firmware-brcm80211-git from AUR, as you see until there's a good quality driver avaliable you will need to try several times until you found the one is best for you.

Ok! This time I think -no I'm sure- I have done properly?! I used the dkms-broadcom-wl and used the wicd and It is just worked with the same settings!

Thank you all for your help.

Board footer