You are not logged in.

#1 2011-07-23 19:54:19

BlackMagic1337

Compiz-0.9.5.0-dev[solved]

Hey guys,

Is anybody of you using compiz-0.9.5.0-core-dev (and all the other components) from AUR with an intel graphic card. Because it is not working for me. This behaviour is strange, because on Ubuntu Natty Narwhal Compiz 0.9.5.0 worked like a charm and compiz-0.8.8 works also. So - maybe it is a bug with intel cards or I´ve made a mistake.

I´ve been looking forward to hearing from you soon.

Regards,

Chris

AUR PACKAGE - http://aur.archlinux.org/packages.php?ID=49392

Last edited by BlackMagic1337 (2011-07-24 15:40:55)

#2 2011-07-24 01:43:16

rufflove

Re: Compiz-0.9.5.0-dev[solved]

Natty Narwhal includes Compiz 0.9.4 and I think it unlikely that your problem is hardware related. Are you trying to use the gconf or ini backend? The mass of spam in the comments suggests you're trying to use both simultaneously without loading the settings when calling Compiz from the command line (as explained by hobarrera and stated in the post installation message for the package). To be honest, I'd recommend you use the packages in the official repositories and read the wiki entry for Compiz.

Last edited by rufflove (2011-07-24 01:47:12)

"Its too big and too slow"

#3 2011-07-24 08:52:14

BlackMagic1337

rufflove wrote:

Natty Narwhal includes Compiz 0.9.4 and I think it unlikely that your problem is hardware related. Are you trying to use the gconf or ini backend? The mass of spam in the comments suggests you're trying to use both simultaneously without loading the settings when calling Compiz from the command line (as explained by hobarrera and stated in the post installation message for the package). To be honest, I'd recommend you use the packages in the official repositories and read the wiki entry for Compiz.

Hey rufflove,

Thank you for the information. I´ve installed compiz-0.8.8 from the official repo and it works like a charm. However, I´d like to use the actual compiz (developer version) because it has a better performance on the netbook. Is there any way how I am able to give you more information, so that you can help me to find the bug and eliminate it (e.g. sharing configs,...) ?

I´ve started compiz using compiz ccp --replace in terminal - after that the desktop was respawn about 100 times and I was able to see any desktop effects (including window borders/decoration).

I´ve deleted everything in the cache and config folder and now my Default.ini looks like...

[core]
s0_active_plugins = core;composite;opengl;imgjpeg;decor;text;move;compiztoolbox;mousepoll;wobbly;place;cube;firepaint;imgsvg;water;scale;shift;ezoom;regex;obs;resize;imgpng;group;scaleaddon;animation;rotate;animationaddon;cubeaddon;switcher;scalefilter;

[cubeaddon]
s0_deformation = 0

[decor]
s0_command = gtk-window-decorator --replace

[ezoom]
s0_fit_to_window_key = Disabled

[scaleaddon]
s0_zoom_button = Disabled

and .config/compiz-1/compizconfig/config
[general]
backend = gconf
profile =
integration = true
plugin_list_autosort = true

As far as I can see, I'm using gconf. So - Maybe its a bug on an intel graphic adapter (Should I contact smspillaz?).

Thank you for your quick response - I'm glad to talking to you. :-)

Have a great day,

Chris

By the way - I'm using:
Mesa DRI Intel(R) 945GME x86/MMX/SSE2

P.S. I'm sorry, I meant Oneiric Ocelot. smile (Snapshot)
##OT##
Nice avatar :-D
Which DE are you using / which graphic adapter?

Last edited by BlackMagic1337 (2011-07-24 09:41:28)

#4 2011-07-24 11:49:40

rufflove

If you're using gconf as the backend, then the contents of the .ini file are irrelevant; the settings are stored in an xml file, managed by gconf, not the ini file! I use the gconf backend because I use Compiz with a minimal GNOME setup, but I'd probably just stick to the ini backend with XFCE.

Fire up ccsm, go to preferences and set the backend to Flat-file configuration backend. Wait a moment and then hit reset to defaults. At this point you won't have a gazillian plugins to test. Enable others now if you're a masochist, but leave them disabled if you want to get Compiz running. Now, fire up compiz in a terminal emulator with:

compiz ccp --replace --indirect-rendering

The --indirect-rendering paramter improves performance with Intel graphics adapters, also as stated by the post-install message and the wiki.

If Compiz then segfaults, post the output here. Hit CTRL+C to kill the process. If Compiz didn't go ape, you can then try enabling more plugins. For starters, you'll want to setup gtk-window-decorator via the window decorator options and then run Compiz again from a terminal emulator to test it.

Trying to run a ton of plugins that render explosions, typhoons and a variety of other natural disasters on four sides of a virtual cube, whilst also allowing you to select windows by 84 different methods is likely to make you poor GMA945 collapse in a steaming, sweat covered heap like the poor old mule it is. First, enable the more essential plugins that provided desired usability. If you run into trouble, test them one-by-one using the aforementioned method. Once you have a working setup, go ahead and add some bling plugins, but be aware that even if you get them to run, you'll probably need to adjust their settings so they don't cripple your rendering performance.

Unless you find a bug that can clearly be identified via error messages or a specific set of conditions that cause it, don't bother Sam, I'm sure he is very busy already!

#5 2011-07-24 15:16:57

BlackMagic1337

WoW!!! Thats awesome. I´ve just switched to gnome3 (gnome basic package), reinstalled compiz and now it works like a charm - Also with window borders. So as far as I can see, compiz-0.9.5.0 is incompatible with XFCE (Maybe a gtk-window-decorator patch is needed). But I'm happy with Gnome 3 (Fallback Mode).

Thank you so much for your help rufflove if I am able to help you in any situation, please do not hesitate to contact me. :-)

Compiz 0.9.5.0 is awesome! smile Keep the great work up.

P.S. I'm sorry for the spam, but I was yesterday in hurry...

P.P.S. Have a great day!

Regards,

Chris

#6 2011-07-24 15:36:24

rufflove

I know others have Compiz 0.9.x working with XFCE, but I've been curious to test it out anyway at some point. Given that Emerald is broken due to the decorator plugin changes in 0.9.5 (and likely to stay that way I suspect), using Compiz with GNOME does seem to be the obvious choice; Metacity pulls in a fair few dependencies and installing gnome-session does not add many more... And you get a good session manager, capable of saving state, into the deal! Saying that, I've never tried Compiz with KDE. The current release doesn't have a kconfig backend package, although I presume kde-window-decorator is still working.

#7 2011-07-24 15:46:55

BlackMagic1337

rufflove wrote:

I know others have Compiz 0.9.x working with XFCE, but I've been curious to test it out anyway at some point. Given that Emerald is broken due to the decorator plugin changes in 0.9.5 (and likely to stay that way I suspect), using Compiz with GNOME does seem to be the obvious choice; Metacity pulls in a fair few dependencies and installing gnome-session does not add many more... And you get a good session manager, capable of saving state, into the deal! Saying that, I've never tried Compiz with KDE. The current release doesn't have a kconfig backend package, although I presume kde-window-decorator is still working.

Maybe I have made an error with the configuration in XFCE. However, Gnome 3 (Fallback) and Compiz-0.9.5.0 are going to run smooth on that old netbook. ;-)

A friend of mine has talked with smspillaz in #compiz-dev some weeks ago, and smspillaz said, that there is no KDE developer for compiz-0.9.5.0. As far as I read on phoronix.com Martin (The main KWin developer) is going to get the support for compiz in KDE 4.8/4.9. smile Let's hope so. A better solution would be, that emerald is also going to be ported to C##, so that is compatible with compiz-0.9.x.

Ah! Alright, every desktop effects are going to work except of one (But I think this option was going to be removed in 0.9.x). When I'm going to pick a window and move it to the left/right I see the desktop-cube rotation. But after some seconds, the cube is going to be moved to the last state. When I'm using the keyboard keys (move window to the left / right) it works like a charm. So - It is a bug or a "new" feature? :-D

However, thank you for supporting me and sharing this nice PKGBUILD with the Arch community!

+100 from me! Great work, nice guy!

Have a nice sunday! :>

Chris

#8 2011-07-24 19:03:47

rufflove

I've no experience with cube and related plugins, so I can't help there, sorry.

You don't have to use the fallback session for Compiz. If you look in the PKGBUILD for compiz-core-dev, there is an option to install gnome-session entries that allow you to select a Gnome/Compiz session from GDM. The file /usr/share/gnome-session/sessions/gnome-compiz.session can then also be edited to also launch a dock/panel application. For example, mine looks like this:

[GNOME Session]
Name=GNOME Compiz
RequiredComponents=gnome-settings-daemon;
RequiredProviders=windowmanager;notifications;panel;
DefaultProvider-windowmanager=compiz
DefaultProvider-notifications=notification-daemon
DefaultProvider-panel=avant-window-navigator

Gnome-session looks for a .desktop file corresponding to the name 'avant-window-manager' in /usr/share/applications. So for panels like tint2 which don't come with a desktop file, you'd need to create it.

You'd also then need to edit the exec line in /usr/share/applications/compiz.desktop to suit the GMA945:

Exec=compiz ccp --replace --indirect-rendering

Yeah, I'd also like to see a DE independant window decorator solution too, preferably one that supports metacity themes - which seem to have become the de-facto standard - without requiring metacity and gconf to be installed... Not an issue for Ubuntu though, as Metacity is required for Unity 2D, anyway...

Last edited by rufflove (2011-07-24 19:04:57)

#9 2011-07-25 00:20:27

rufflove

I've just installed xfce4 and metacity in an virtual machine to test the *-dev  packages and can confirm that a basic setup works ok. Wiki knows: I set compiz to start in place of xfwm4 by editing /etc/xdg/xfce4/xfconf/xfce-perchannel-xml/xfce4-session.xml.

#10 2011-07-25 15:51:44

BlackMagic1337

rufflove wrote:

I've just installed xfce4 and metacity in an virtual machine to test the *-dev  packages and can confirm that a basic setup works ok. Wiki knows: I set compiz to start in place of xfwm4 by editing /etc/xdg/xfce4/xfconf/xfce-perchannel-xml/xfce4-session.xml.

rufflove, I´ve switched back to XFCE with your trick and I have found my "bug". I´ve forgotten to install gnome-session. Now it works like a charm (And I like the cool metacity theme - See http://gnome-look.org/content/show.php/ … ent=121263 :-).

Sorry for the inconvience you may have been caused (including the spam on your AUR package site).

And I´ve also eliminated the "bug" with the window - compiz has made a option - Look at Rotate Cube -> Tick Edge Flip Move -> Click at additional settings -> Change the flip time to zero. smile

Now everything works like a charm, I like compiz and I hope, that metacity will be supported all the time and maybe emerald will be ported to compiz-0.9.x / git-release. smile

Thank you so much!!!

Have a nice day,

Chris

#11 2011-07-25 18:02:38

rufflove

rufflove, I´ve switched back to XFCE with your trick and I have found my "bug". I´ve forgotten to install gnome-session. Now it works like a charm (And I like the cool metacity theme - See http://gnome-look.org/content/show.php/ … ent=121263 :-).

What trick was that? Reading the wiki? tongue When I tested the packages with an XFCE installation I actually made a point of uninstalling all GNOME packages beforehand to avoid muddying the water and I know that gnome-session is definitely not required for Compiz to play nicely with XFCE. Whatever mistake you'd made, it wasn't related to missing gnome packages.

Anyhow, glad you're getting around Compiz's 'idiosyncracies'.

Board footer