You are not logged in.

#1 2011-07-24 15:15:49

sergiogiogio

Windows and Arch Dual boot question

Hello Gurus!

I would like to dual boot XP (already installed) and Arch and I have problems understanding the wiki "Windows and Arch Dual Boot" (https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Wi … _Dual_Boot) which is supposed to apply to my situation: "When installing grub, you must configure /boot/grub/menu.lst), and make sure to install grub to /boot (or root (/) if you did not create a separate partition for /boot). Installing grub onto your Windows partition may cause Windows not to boot"

Well my understanding is that, if I install grub to /boot, it will never be launched since the BIOS will keep on loading the existing Windows MBR which will have no clue that Arch is installed in one of the partitions. Isn't that the case?

Thanks in advance for any help!
sergiogiogio

#2 2011-07-24 15:31:28

satanselbow

Re: Windows and Arch Dual boot question

sergiogiogio wrote:

Well my understanding is that, if I install grub to /boot, it will never be launched since the BIOS will keep on loading the existing Windows MBR which will have no clue that Arch is installed in one of the partitions. Isn't that the case?
sergiogiogio

The wiki article includes details on howto "chainload" or create boot entries for linux from the windows boot loader.

IMHO it is better to install grub to the MBR and chainload your windows partition wink This does however mean you need to reinstate the Windows MBR if you were to remove Linux at a later date from the disk via the Win Recovery Console or installation disc wink

If your windows installation includes 2 partitions - 1 small 100MB and larger main partition you will need to point grub to the larger (typically /dev/sda2) of the 2 wink

#3 2011-07-26 15:52:40

sergiogiogio

Thanks for your answer satanselbow!

After several re-reads I think the wiki tries to say that GRUB should not be installed on the Windows partition (e.g. sda1) but on the MBR itself (e.g. sda), which is already mentioned in the Beginner's guide (https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Beginners'_Guide#Install_Bootloader).

I am still slighlty puzzled about the note from the wiki:

Note: The above instruction is conflict with the GRUB installation position documented in GRUB#General notes about bootloader installation which says GRUB should be installed to MBR or the first partition to be recognized by most BIOS.

hmm

I think for more safety I may use the XP bootloader even though the wiki again advises agains it:

I do not believe there are any distinct advantages of this method over the linux boot-loader

Last edited by sergiogiogio (2011-07-26 15:53:31)

#4 2011-08-01 11:47:17

Pernig

Hi. This is my first post here but grub is a subject I am knowledgeable on so I thought I'd chime in.

If you want to learn how grub works, you can install it to the mbr relatively safely. If, for whatever reason, you cannot boot into XP, you can boot from your Windows setup CD, go into 'Recovery Console' and type 'fixmbr'. This will restore the original bootloader, giving you access to XP again.

This trick has always managed to save me from trouble, but make sure you take the precaution of backing up your important things first, of course.

Board footer