You are not logged in.

#1 2011-07-25 22:42:16

homer5439

Laptop keyboard weirdness

I have an HP pavilion dv7 running Arch. (Almost) everything is ok, however I've noticed that the "fn" key seems to work backwards.
Let me explain. In Firefox, normally "f3" means "go to next match" after a search. However, in this laptop f3 is also used to increase the brightness of the screen (with fn+f3). What happens is that fn+f3 in firefox goes to the next match, while f3 alone increases the screen brightness. Same for all the other function keys: when pressed alone, they behave as if I had done "fn+<key>", while "fn+<key>" gives me the result I'd expect from pressing the function key alone.

Any idea where I can start looking?
Thanks.

#2 2011-07-26 03:33:21

lagagnon
Website

Re: Laptop keyboard weirdness

First of all start by using "showkey" in a console to see what scancodes are being generated. Then use "xev" under X to see what keycodes are associated with those scancodes, to try to figure out what the heck is going on. See the wiki article on "Extra Keyboard Keys".

Philosophy is looking for a black cat in a dark room. Metaphysics is looking for a black cat in a dark room that isn't there. Religion is looking for a black cat in a dark room that isn't there and shouting "I found it!". Science is looking for a black cat in a dark room with a flashlight.

#3 2011-07-26 12:07:12

Dumbledore

Hey, I'm just taking a shot but it may help you.

In my laptop, the BIOS provides me an option to control this. Using F* keys directly is called the 'legacy' option while Fn + F* is the alternative option. See if your bios has a similar option and switch according to your preference.

GNU/Linux: Keep your options "open".

#4 2011-07-31 10:39:13

homer5439

Dumbledore wrote:

Hey, I'm just taking a shot but it may help you.

In my laptop, the BIOS provides me an option to control this. Using F* keys directly is called the 'legacy' option while Fn + F* is the alternative option. See if your bios has a similar option and switch according to your preference.

Hey, that was exactly it! It was called "action keys", that's why I had overlooked it. Thanks!

#5 2011-08-01 06:24:52

Dumbledore

smile

GNU/Linux: Keep your options "open".

Board footer