You are not logged in.

#1 2005-05-12 20:31:51

shadowhand
Website

MPD visualizations

Does anyone know of a MPD client that supports visualizations? I've been Googling about it for a while, but haven't gotten anything back yet. Even something that could "visualize" the output line from the soundcard would do it... I rather enjoy being able to have visualizations....

Thanks.

·¬»· i am shadowhand, powered by webfaction

#2 2005-05-12 21:32:38

phrakture
Arch Overlord
Website

Re: MPD visualizations

hmmm, it'd be a fun project... shouldn't be all too hard, as mpd allows multiple clients to connect... you just make a new client which connects and uses the output to render the visualization

#3 2005-05-13 00:31:08

shadowhand
Website

I have no idea what's involved, but using the OSS "goom" visualization from the Xine project and tying it to MPD would be awesome. Even better, porting the XMMS/BMP style visualizations  would be even better.

If I knew how to program, I'd be all over this in a second.

EDIT: can someone move this to Multimedia?

#4 2005-05-13 02:42:42

shadowhand
Website

I just found this article that explains how to create a OpenGL screensaver that works off of Winamp. I imagine that it wouldn't be hard to use the idea here to make a visualization or screensaver ( 8O ) that uses MPD instead of Winamp for sound.

#5 2005-05-13 14:09:06

neri
Forum Fellow

phrakture wrote:

hmmm, it'd be a fun project... shouldn't be all too hard, as mpd allows multiple clients to connect... you just make a new client which connects and uses the output to render the visualization

The server-client interface itself is probably the wrong place to hook things, since it prolly won't transmit audio related data but pure textstuff
(title, artis, volume state etc)
mpd supports either alsa and oss architecture so ther emight be some kind
of meta layer for audio stuff, I just wonder if it woulde be really easy smile

-neri

#6 2005-05-13 15:17:10

phrakture
Arch Overlord
Website

neri wrote:

The server-client interface itself is probably the wrong place to hook things, since it prolly won't transmit audio related data but pure textstuff
(title, artis, volume state etc)

I think that hit me just after I posted... but I was being lazy - yeah mpd clients to get any direct audio signals... only info.

So, it'd probably require either a direct hack into the mpd code, or some way to stick a "shim" inbetween mpd and the sound device (that's kinda interesting, now that I think about it... maybe an alsa plugin, which would allow visualizations for any player... ugh, too much thinking....)

Board footer