You are not logged in.

#1 2011-07-29 16:05:11

Who'sThere?

[Solved] No audio through Java browser apps...

Hello.

I'm running 64bit Arch, the Alsa sound system, and the offical Sun Java RE. When I go to use java apps with audio, I'm not receiving any type of ouput. All other forms of audio on my system seem to be working, so I'm unsure where to begin troubleshooting.

Where do I start?

EDIT;
Use 'aoss' instead of 'alsa-oss'. I made the mistake of thinking it was the name of package that needing to be entered.

Last edited by Who'sThere? (2011-08-31 14:35:05)

Arch Linux: x86_64, Default Kernel.
Repos: Core, Extra, Community, Multilib.

#2 2011-07-31 13:56:57

Who'sThere?

Re: [Solved] No audio through Java browser apps...

I unistalled the Sun JRE, and installed the OpenJDK + Icetea plugin.

No dice.

I noticed that there were a couple other threads from a few months back asking this question, but changing the sound system to PulseAudio isn't a solution. It's simply 'switching' the sound system, and it doesn't change the fact that Java sound isn't working in Alsa.

Last edited by Who'sThere? (2011-07-31 13:59:19)

#3 2011-07-31 17:37:55

oboedad55

I had the same problem, solved it by using pulseaudio and fixing java (sun) by following the wiki here;
https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Java

Registered Linux user #436067

#4 2011-08-04 00:32:45

doorknob60

You can try this but use aoss instead of padsp: https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Ja … Pulseaudio (I'm the one that wrote that section in the first place) I find using either aoss or padsp makes Java a little unstable for me though, at least with Runescape (but sound works). In my experience, ever since I started using OpenJDK instead of Sun Java, my sound has been working fine.

#5 2011-08-04 02:08:49

Who'sThere?

I've tried both the free, and proprietary, systems. No sound...

Here are two example sites where they didn't work;
http://modarchive.org/
http://www.kohina.com/

I recently switched, as in reinstalled, Arch. This time I went with the openbox w/panel instead of an entire DE like Xfce4 (like I had last time). Java sound was working before my reformat, so maybe Xfce pulled in some packages that fixed this? Or has something broken recently in the Java code?

#6 2011-08-06 01:55:23

Who'sThere?

The wiki has an article on using Pulse, but one shouldn't need it at all. That is unless one, or both, (Alsa/Java) have simply become incompatible with each other. I take i that this is the case.

Can anyone answer why I had Java sound running in Xfce4, without PulseAudio installed? There's absolutely no way I'm going to taint my current minimal install with an audio redirector. If someone knows how to use PulseAudio for only Java, please let me know.

I'll be marking this thread as null, or whatever.

#7 2011-08-06 05:49:38

doorknob60

Try running those pulse insctructions but using aoss instead of padsp (that requires only the alsa-oss package, not pulseaudio). It should work, but OpenJDK already should work fine with ALSA by default...One thing I've noticed before is sometimes if I use the openjdk browser plugin, sound doesn't work, but in non-browser applets it works fine...but I haven't tested that in quite a while. The aoss thing should fix Sun JRE too (that's what I originally used it for, because Sun JRE's sound is...a little funky).

Last edited by doorknob60 (2011-08-06 05:50:07)

Board footer