You are not logged in.

#1 2011-07-30 03:56:59

Wittfella

linux-3.0 upgrade failing

Hello, the upgrade from 2.6.39-3 to linux-3.0-2 is failing for me.

First thing I notice upon reboot is "Loading modules -> FAIL" in the coloured messages.  It then spews a whole bunch of errors for the rest of the coloured section (mostly releated to the filesystem being read-only, so probably not a primary issue)

I can then login normally, but the filesystem is read-only.  I can "remount,rw" though to fix things up.

Checking some logs the issue seems to be

ERROR: cannot load "/lib/modules/2.6.39-ARCH/modules.dep", does not exist

If I look in "/lib/modules/" I have both 2.6.39-ARCH and 3.0-ARCH folders.  2.6.39-ARCH is empty except for a weird symlink

3.0.0-ARCH --> 3.0.0-ARCH

Thats wierd isn't it, a symlink to iteself.  And 3.0.0-ARCH? Isn't it 3.0-ARCH?

I thought maybe there is supposed to be a symlink 2.6.39-ARCH/ --> 3.0-ARCH/ in /lib/modules but I tried it and no dice.

#2 2011-07-30 07:47:36

graysky
Wiki Maintainer
Website

Re: linux-3.0 upgrade failing

Some modules have been renamed I have noticed.  Check them in your MODULES array against their names in /lib/modules/$(uname -r)

As to the other problems, I dunno... I do not have a symlink in /lib/modules to an older kernel.

CPU-optimized Linux-ck packages @ Repo-ck  • AUR packagesZsh and other configs

#3 2011-07-30 14:14:58

Wittfella

Well I got a bit further.

I reverted back to 2.6.39 after that first attempt, all good everything back to normal.  I checked a few things and then installed linux-3.0 again.  This time there was no problem with loading modules, I checked /lib/modules/ and there is only a 3.0-ARCH folder, 2.6.39 is gone.  Don't know what changed but it seems correct now.

But it still had the problem with the read-only filesystem.  The "mount -n -o remount,rw /" in rc.sysinit is failing, something to do with "cannot change data options on remount".

I checked fstab and my root drive is ext4 which had an option "data=writeback".  I removed that option and now rc.sysinit mostly works.

There are still two "FAILS" occuring in the coloured messages.  One is the "Creating mtab" part, and the other is something to do with "Removing leftover files".  I think these are the ones, it flies by pretty fast its hard to tell.

#4 2011-07-30 14:17:49

litemotiv
Forum Fellow

Wittfella wrote:

There are still two "FAILS" occuring in the coloured messages.  One is the "Creating mtab" part, and the other is something to do with "Removing leftover files".  I think these are the ones, it flies by pretty fast its hard to tell.

This can help you with that: https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Di … t_Messages

ᶘ ᵒᴥᵒᶅ

#5 2011-07-30 21:55:48

.:B:.
Forum Fellow
Website

Probably utterly useless, but the first 3.0 kernel Arch provided was indeed 3.0.0-ARCH. The rebuild is just 3.0-ARCH (which broke NFS tongue).

Got Leenucks? :: Arch: Power in simplicity :: Get Counted! Registered Linux User #392717 :: Blog thingy

#6 2011-07-30 22:03:27

falconindy
Developer
Website

Wittfella wrote:

Hello, the upgrade from 2.6.39-3 to linux-3.0-2 is failing for me.

First thing I notice upon reboot is "Loading modules -> FAIL" in the coloured messages.  It then spews a whole bunch of errors for the rest of the coloured section (mostly releated to the filesystem being read-only, so probably not a primary issue)

I can then login normally, but the filesystem is read-only.  I can "remount,rw" though to fix things up.

Checking some logs the issue seems to be

ERROR: cannot load "/lib/modules/2.6.39-ARCH/modules.dep", does not exist

If I look in "/lib/modules/" I have both 2.6.39-ARCH and 3.0-ARCH folders.  2.6.39-ARCH is empty except for a weird symlink

3.0.0-ARCH --> 3.0.0-ARCH

Thats wierd isn't it, a symlink to iteself.  And 3.0.0-ARCH? Isn't it 3.0-ARCH?

I thought maybe there is supposed to be a symlink 2.6.39-ARCH/ --> 3.0-ARCH/ in /lib/modules but I tried it and no dice.

Please make sure that you have /boot mounted when you do an upgrade, particularly when it involves a kernel. You're still booting off of 2.6.39. Mount /boot and reinstall the kernel package.

.:B:. wrote:

Probably utterly useless, but the first 3.0 kernel Arch provided was indeed 3.0.0-ARCH. The rebuild is just 3.0-ARCH (which broke NFS ).

And SBCL, apparently.

Board footer