You are not logged in.

#1 2005-05-12 22:34:21

phrakture
Arch Overlord
Website

screen + centericq = garbled [solved finally]

ok, so centericq draws borders and things with those ascii box characters.... you know what I'm talking about...
anyway, when running centericq in screen with a status line, the box characters bleed into the status and then corrupt everything in the screen session.... is there anything I'm missing?
I've noticed alot of people like to put huge amounts of term cap/info stuff in their screenrc's - would this have anything to do with it? I have nothing... is this possibly a termcap issue?

#2 2005-05-12 22:42:26

cactus
Taco Eater
Website

Re: screen + centericq = garbled [solved finally]

dunno. maybe if you set hardstatus to be lastline only in your screenrc it might help..

this is what i have..

hardstatus string "%{+b Rk}(%{-b g}$LOGNAME@%H%{+b R}) (%{-b g}%C %a%{+b R}) %{-b g} %n %t"
hardstatus alwayslastline
vbell on

"Be conservative in what you send; be liberal in what you accept." -- Postel's Law
"tacos" -- Cactus' Law
"t̥͍͎̪̪͗a̴̻̩͈͚ͨc̠o̩̙͈ͫͅs͙͎̙͊ ͔͇̫̜t͎̳̀a̜̞̗ͩc̗͍͚o̲̯̿s̖̣̤̙͌ ̖̜̈ț̰̫͓ạ̪͖̳c̲͎͕̰̯̃̈o͉ͅs̪ͪ ̜̻̖̜͕" -- -̖͚̫̙̓-̺̠͇ͤ̃ ̜̪̜ͯZ͔̗̭̞ͪA̝͈̙͖̩L͉̠̺͓G̙̞̦͖O̳̗͍

#3 2005-05-12 22:55:16

iphitus
Forum Fellow

i have similar issues with alsamixer, pebrot and other similar programs, re-attatching the screen always fixes it, which is as simple as ctrl-shift+t for me

#4 2005-05-12 23:03:24

phrakture
Arch Overlord
Website

my hardstatus line is similar (set to alwayslastline) - and detatching (just tried) actually plops me back on a garbled console... it's the kinda garbled you get when you do "cat /dev/urandom" and ^C out of it...

it seems to only happen in centericq and it seems to be due to the drawing... does anyone have any terminfo junk in their screenrc? (look here in the xterm tweaks section) I tried searching, as this seems like it's a terminal issue and not a screen issue, really...

#5 2005-05-12 23:14:23

cactus
Taco Eater
Website

http://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/scree … 00005.html

also, some people recommend pork. Never tried it myself..
http://dev.ojnk.net/

"Be conservative in what you send; be liberal in what you accept." -- Postel's Law
"tacos" -- Cactus' Law
"t̥͍͎̪̪͗a̴̻̩͈͚ͨc̠o̩̙͈ͫͅs͙͎̙͊ ͔͇̫̜t͎̳̀a̜̞̗ͩc̗͍͚o̲̯̿s̖̣̤̙͌ ̖̜̈ț̰̫͓ạ̪͖̳c̲͎͕̰̯̃̈o͉ͅs̪ͪ ̜̻̖̜͕" -- -̖͚̫̙̓-̺̠͇ͤ̃ ̜̪̜ͯZ͔̗̭̞ͪA̝͈̙͖̩L͉̠̺͓G̙̞̦͖O̳̗͍

#6 2005-05-13 00:46:31

phrakture
Arch Overlord
Website

cactus wrote:

also, some people recommend pork. Never tried it myself..
http://dev.ojnk.net/

wow, looks nice... I may have to try it

#7 2005-05-13 00:56:11

cactus
Taco Eater
Website

*oink*

"tacos" -- Cactus' Law

#8 2005-05-17 18:31:13

phrakture
Arch Overlord
Website

ok, tried pork... it's cool, but only supports aim and irc right now...
problem is, pork had the same garbling issue....

took me some time to realise that this was a putty issue, not screen.  putty has a "line drawing" setting, and I fiddled with it to use "poor man's line drawing (+, -, |)" and it works.... yahoo (I guess)

#9 2005-06-01 14:49:31

phrakture
Arch Overlord
Website

ok, just an update:
garbled8dn.th.png

that is the "garbled"ness I was talking about.

I posted a message to the centericq forums, and only got one response saying they had the same issues in Solaris unless the used Eterm.

so maybe this is an aterm issue?

does anyone have any idea what'sa going on - it happens with ANY ncurses based app... the screencap  is a result of weechat....

#10 2005-06-01 17:05:24

phrakture
Arch Overlord
Website

ok... this is a termcap/info/whatever problem...

setting $TERM=rxvt get's rid of this problem.... previously it was set to $TERM=xterm-color

I'll have to look around, as this whole term* crap I never bothered to understand (who want's to know what "terminfo xterm=a:[[a:a:a:k:k:k:K:ww:wD:[]][l/" means? not me)

#11 2005-06-02 07:35:19

iphitus
Forum Fellow

exporting $TERM to be rxvt doesnt fix it here,

for example, ill get this issue with alsamixer, open a new screen session, run alsamixer then ctrl+a-c, ctrl+a-p, ctrl+a-p, and we get a nice garbled prompt sad

term is being set fine, upon opening e terminal, echo $TERM spits out rxvt...

sad

#12 2005-06-02 13:49:11

phrakture
Arch Overlord
Website

hmmm yeah the TERM thing fixed it only for weechat... centericq still gets mucked.... argh!

#13 2005-06-02 15:10:23

phrakture
Arch Overlord
Website

ok, just for the record... I'm using aterm

anyone else with this problem: what terminal are you using?

#14 2005-06-02 15:38:15

iphitus
Forum Fellow

xfce terminal, and it also happens with rxvt....

until.............

i read the screen faq at here:
http://www4.informatik.uni-erlangen.de/ … n-faq.html
i dont know if its an official one, i dont really mind, it worked.

set $TERM to vt100 and it stops the garbling. you do lose colour in those ncurses apps that would normally garble it, but you dont get garbling. ls and bash and other non ncurses apps still have colour.

#15 2005-06-02 16:44:21

phrakture
Arch Overlord
Website

hmmm that makes sense because rxvt is a vt100 emulator (whereas xterm is > 100).. I'll look into this to try and find a real concise way to get this to work

hmmm if I do:

TERM=screen screen

everything works fine.... try that

oddly enough, TERM still reports as xterm-color when inside screen... so I think that as long as screen itself is running under vt100 mode (the screen terminfo setting is basically vt100) everything works fine...

let me know if this solves your issue too

#16 2005-06-02 23:04:26

iphitus
Forum Fellow

Seems like it works too, good work big_smile

#17 2005-11-17 04:48:43

elvalith

I've recently decided to try out screen and centericq and ran into the same problem as mentioned in this thread. When I did alias screen="TERM=screen screen" (I think that was the solution phrakture mentioned), while it did fix the problem with centericq garbling up everything, I ran into another problem.

I have screen set up so that it has a little caption thing in the bottom. When I run screen with that alias, the caption messes up so that the text is messed up to the point where it is not readable (but not garbled in the same way as before). Any ideas why this is happening? (I am using the most recent versions of urxvt, screen, and centericq that you can get through pacman.)

#18 2005-11-17 05:33:13

phrakture
Arch Overlord
Website

The problem is conflicting terminfo setups... you want to remove every instance of "TERM=blah" in your aliases/bashrc/whatever, and every instance of termName from Xdefaults.  Outside screen, echo $TERM should be "rxvt-unicode", inside screen it should be "screen"

#19 2005-11-18 19:05:53

elvalith

When I do echo $TERM outside of screen it does give me back "rxvt-unicode", and inside screen echo $TERM does give "screen", yet the error still persists (and I don't have TERM set to anything in my aliases/bashrc).

#20 2005-11-18 19:30:15

phrakture
Arch Overlord
Website

elvalith wrote:

When I do echo $TERM outside of screen it does give me back "rxvt-unicode", and inside screen echo $TERM does give "screen", yet the error still persists (and I don't have TERM set to anything in my aliases/bashrc).

Do you have a utf8 locale? IIRC my screen got real odd when I was using en_US.utf8

#21 2005-11-18 22:08:49

elvalith

No, I don't have a utf8 locale (typeing "locale" returns "en_US" for everything but LC_ALL, which is not set to anything). Also, just to clarify matters, screen and centericq work  just fine on the console, its just when I'm in X that I have troubles.

Edit: Nevermind, disregard what I said above. I took a look at /etc/X11/sessions/pekwm.desktop, and apparently it was set to "Encoding=UTF-8". So I went to my rc.conf file and set "LOCALE=en_US" and this seems to have fixed the problem (although the funny thing is that screen dosn't seem to have an alias anymore).

Board footer