You are not logged in.

#1 2011-07-31 00:21:36

mdevonb

xorg keyboard / mouse focus issue

I apologize if this should go in the newbie corner since it's probably just my incompetence.

I'm having an issue where I cannot change focus properly between windows. I am assuming it is an xorg problem since this happens in Gnome 3, KDE 4, and XFCE 4.

Using Gnome 3 as an example, the OS key will not bring up the gnome-shell, Alt-Tab does nothing, and clicking into another window is equally as useless. I can make those work by clicking the active program's menu bar, then doing those actions, but not without. Even when doing that, if I click into the other window instead of it's titlebar/alt-tab/shell, it gets mouse focus only. Meaning I can click where-ever I want on the program, but all keyboard events are sent to the previously active window. The title bar also remains inactive. Similarly, on gdm, I need to click the power icon in the upper right before I can use the login window.

Alt-F4 remains functional through-out.

I reinstalled Arch fully, and the problem remained. Xorg.0.log ( Pastebin ) doesn't have any errors that I could relate to it, and .xsession-errors ( Pastebin ) doesn't have anything specific enough that I could Google and get decent results from. (Miscellaneous Firefox bugs, and completely unrelated mailing-list topics are all I usually find.) To add a bit more to my confusion, occasionally (Maybe twice in a month) I've had problem free sessions.

#2 2011-08-06 18:00:52

Rakoon

Re: xorg keyboard / mouse focus issue

Hi, I have the exact same problem. Do you already found out what the problem is? In case you don't we should see what we can do together...

#3 2011-08-06 21:03:40

mdevonb

Sadly I haven't figured it out yet. Fact that someone else is having the issue gives me motivation to try and find the cause instead of just complaining then. Let's try to rule out hardware/driver issues first then. What graphics card and video driver are you using, and is your mouse and keyboard USB, or PS/2?

If you're using a USB mouse/keyboard, do you have a PS/2 mouse/keyboard to try? I'd try it myself but my motherboard is USB only. I don't think thats the problem though, but it's worth a shot if you have them readily available. Finally, are you using the default, or do you have a modified xorg.conf?

I'm almost completely in the dark so if you have any suggestions, suggest away.

ATI 5770 w/ xf86-video-ati
USB mouse and keyboard

#4 2011-08-07 07:17:24

Rakoon

Well, I'm using a PS2 Mouse and Keyboard. So I guess this isn't the problem. My graphic-card is an ATI X800 with the xf86-video-ati driver. My xorg.conf file has some modifications:

Section "Device"
        Identifier            "ATI Technologies Inc R420 JI [Radeon X800PRO]-0"
    Driver        "radeon"
    BusID                "PCI:1:0:0"
    Option         "DynamicClocks" "true" 
    Option         "ColorTiling" "1"
    Option         "EnablePageFlip" "1"
    Option         "AGPMode" "8"
           Option          "RenderAccel" "on" 
    Screen              0        
EndSection

Section "Monitor"
    Identifier       "Monitor0"
    VendorName   "NCI"
    ModelName        "NECCI CT900pm"
    Option           "DPMS" "false"
    HorizSync         30.0-80.0
    VertRefresh       60.0-75.0
    Option              "PreferredMode"     "1280x1024" 
EndSection

Section "Screen"
    Identifier    "TFT"
    Device        "ATI Technologies Inc R420 JI [Radeon X800PRO]-0"
    Monitor        "Monitor0"
    DefaultDepth    24
    SubSection       "Display"
    Depth                24
    Modes               "1280x1024"
    EndSubSection
EndSection

Section "ServerLayout"
    Identifier    "Default Layout"
    Screen 0    "TFT" 0 0
EndSection

The strange thing is that the problem occured  the first time on my computer without having any changes on my configuration files or updates. But I'll try to update the driver to see if this helps...

#5 2011-08-08 23:16:29

mdevonb

I've been using the default xorg.conf so it seems it's not that. I tried xf86-video-vesa, that didn't help out either. I'm not too sure what else hardware wise could be the culprit since the issue definitely seems isolated to us. So:

It's not a dual-monitor issue. (Happens in single/dual mode)
It's not a USB device issue.
It's not a PS/2 device issue.
It's not a graphics card/driver issue.
It doesn't seem to be a configuration issue.
It's not a GTK2/GTK3/QT issue.
If it were a processor issue, we'd definitely see threads on other forums regarding this topic.

I had a problem that isn't exactly the same, but is similar when I tried a Fedora CD (I couldn't use my mouse on prompts) so I guess it isn't an Arch issue. Next time I have the ability to focus I'll start looking into udev to see if it's an issue with that. Hopefully it is, because I do not want to dig through the Xorg source to see if I can find a cause in there if I can help it.

Running Arch in a VM on Windows hasn't been giving me the same problems oddly enough.

Ah, are you having problems with the clock as well? I figure thats a separate issue, but worth a shot to see if it's related.

#6 2011-08-09 05:38:12

Rakoon

I don't think it's a hardware issue. I haven't change hardware in ages. Neather I have problems with the clock. But I have some other problems since I updated to gnome 3. Further I found out it helps to klick with the right mouse button on the panel. Right now I'm using openbox without any panel and until now the problem didn't apperd. But the problem seemd to appeard randomly. So it still can be an accident.

#7 2011-08-11 10:12:56

Rakoon

Ok, sice I've banned all panels from my desktop I havn't had the mouse focus problem anymore. The big question is why does the panel cause this problem?
BTW: before I banned the panel I've tryed some different panels like LX-panel, Pypanel and AWN. Each of them caused the same problem.

#8 2011-08-17 12:00:38

NobeyamaGP

Just wanted to chime in and say I'm having the same problem. Fresh arch install with a fresh KDE install. Removing the panel from my KDE desktop allows alt-tab to work as usual, but with the panel there, the task switcher only appears once every few tries.

#9 2011-08-19 18:56:46

Rakoon

really strange situation. Unfortunately I have no clue what the reason for this problem could be. Any suggestions how to trace this bug?

Last edited by Rakoon (2011-08-19 19:27:17)

#10 2011-08-31 05:58:24

Rakoon

Hey guys, I've made some changes at system and now it seams that it solved the problem.
First I banned Gnome from the System completely. Second I replaced fam with gamin and networkmanager with wicd. I don't know which of those changed solved the problem, but the fist thing you sholud look for is fam (loot at the Deamons section in your /etc/rc.conf).

Board footer