You are not logged in.

#1 2011-07-31 09:47:53

Burroughs

New initscripts package and daemons [SOLVED]

Good Sunday to everyone: I've updated this morning my Arch, using pacman, and, apart from KDE SC 4.7, I found out a new initscripts package, initscripts 2011.07.3-1.
Ok, all done, the problem is that, every time I boot my system up, I get this error message about iptables and hal (dbus, to be more precise):

a daemon is starting another daemon. This is unlikely to work as intended

This is the relevant part of my /etc/rc.conf file:

DAEMONS=(syslog-ng iptables hal sshd wicd mysqld clamav @spamd)

I have to say both iptables and hal work the right way, but it's true also that, before updating initscripts, no messages of this type had ever come out...
Any suggestions?

Burroughs.

Last edited by Burroughs (2011-08-02 13:41:33)

"Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe" (Albert Einstein)

#2 2011-07-31 09:56:15

swanson

Re: New initscripts package and daemons [SOLVED]

Since VERBOSE settings functionality in rc.conf is taken away, I think that your message isn't new. It has been there all along but you haven't seen it

I suspect HAL..

#3 2011-07-31 10:18:40

Lars Stokholm

It hasn't been there all along. It was introduced in 2011.07.1. It's not related to VERBOSE.

My guess is that it's a warning of bad practice as daemons shouldn't start each other. IIRC hal is starting dbus. I wouldn't put more thought into it; at least until we hear from someone who knows for sure.

#4 2011-07-31 11:25:40

Burroughs

I suspect it could be something related to initscripts itself: I've just updated my netbook (second PC in the house) and the kernel gives me the same kind of error related to syslog-ng and hal.
Nothing instead about iptables...
For your information, the laptop and the netbook use two different kernels...

Burroughs.

"Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe" (Albert Einstein)

#5 2011-07-31 11:50:58

tomk
Forum Fellow

Off-topic, but you shouldn't be using hal for anything these days. It's deprecated, and it has been (almost completely) replaced by better alternatives. Only a handful of relatively obscure apps still depend on it.

#6 2011-07-31 18:47:14

Demon

Put dbus just before hal in your DAEMONS array. But as already suggested, you should ditch hal.

#7 2011-07-31 23:45:39

tomegun
Developer

Burroughs wrote:

Good Sunday to everyone: I've updated this morning my Arch, using pacman, and, apart from KDE SC 4.7, I found out a new initscripts package, initscripts 2011.07.3-1.
Ok, all done, the problem is that, every time I boot my system up, I get this error message about iptables and hal (dbus, to be more precise):

a daemon is starting another daemon. This is unlikely to work as intended

This is the relevant part of my /etc/rc.conf file:

DAEMONS=(syslog-ng iptables hal sshd wicd mysqld clamav @spamd)

I have to say both iptables and hal work the right way, but it's true also that, before updating initscripts, no messages of this type had ever come out...

As someone already pointed out, the warning is new. However, the wrong behavior is not. So if everything worked fine before, it will continue to work ok.

The reason for the warning is that when a daemon starts another daemon we don't have any information about this dependency at shutdown, and they will likely be shut down in the wrong order. This caused problems for some packages. We have fixed most rc scripts to not do this any more, some still remain, but they are mostly going away anyway (like hal).

#8 2011-08-01 04:26:28

rabinhood

In my case the same warning at hal initiation was caused by indirect acpid execution. I just put both acpid and dbus before hal in DAEMONS section of rc.conf, and the warning stopped showing. Regards.

#9 2011-08-02 11:58:56

Burroughs

I've just changed the Daemons section in /etc/rc.conf this way:

DAEMONS=(syslog-ng acpid crond hal wicd iptables sshd mysqld clamav @spamd)

What I've noticed is that only crond gives me an error message now, but, if I change the daemons order, crond is okay.
Well, in a nutshell, whatever daemon I put as the third one in the above section, I receive an error...
Strange, isn't it?

Burroughs.

#10 2011-08-02 12:14:34

Demon

Why do you need hal anyway?

#11 2011-08-02 12:22:28

tomegun
Developer

Burroughs wrote:

I've just changed the Daemons section in /etc/rc.conf this way:

DAEMONS=(syslog-ng acpid crond hal wicd iptables sshd mysqld clamav @spamd)

What I've noticed is that only crond gives me an error message now, but, if I change the daemons order, crond is okay.
Well, in a nutshell, whatever daemon I put as the third one in the above section, I receive an error...

I think you are misreading your logs. Try removing hal from your array. If that fixes it, the proper solution is to add both acpid and dbus before hal in the array. If it does not fix it, please post the last few lines of /var/log/boot.

I have asked the hal maintainer to fix the rc script, but he rejected it with the reason that hal will be removed from the repos soon anyway. Maybe it would be worth reconsidering the reasons you are using hal?

More info about this issue can be found here: <https://bugs.archlinux.org/task/24843>.

#12 2011-08-02 13:40:42

Burroughs

I've fixed the issue, putting acpid and dbus just before hal, like tomegun suggested.
Well, maybe the only reason why I'm still using hal is because I rely on wicd to setup my network connections, rather than netcfg...
I think the time has come to make a change... :-)
Thanks to everyone for the precious support.

Burroughs.

Last edited by Burroughs (2011-08-02 13:42:20)

#13 2011-08-02 13:43:55

tomegun
Developer

Burroughs wrote:

I rely on wicd to setup my network connections, rather than netcfg...

I didn't know wicd relies on hal, thanks for pointing it out. NetworkManager is awesome by the way... ;-)

#14 2011-08-02 13:50:21

R00KIE
Forum Fellow

tomegun wrote:
Burroughs wrote:

I rely on wicd to setup my network connections, rather than netcfg...

I didn't know wicd relies on hal ...

It doesn't depend on hal, I use wicd and I got rid of hal quite a while ago and everything still works™.

R00KIE
Tm90aGluZyB0byBzZWUgaGVyZSwgbW92ZSBhbG9uZy4K

#15 2011-08-02 14:00:47

Burroughs

R00KIE wrote:

It doesn't depend on hal, I use wicd and I got rid of hal quite a while ago and everything still works™.

Yes, I think you're right: I've just removed hal from the daemons section of /etc/rc.conf, keeping acpid and dbus, though, and everything works exactly as before.
Sorry for the incorrect statement.

Burroughs.

#16 2011-08-08 12:51:19

Bonzodog

What command could I run to find out if anything on my system is dependent on hal?

edit ok, just run pacman -R hal, and was told that thunar-vfs is dependent on it....I think I can remove that ok.

Edited rc.conf, removed hal now.

Last edited by Bonzodog (2011-08-08 13:16:42)

#17 2011-08-08 12:52:40

karol
Archivist

Bonzodog wrote:

What command could I run to find out if anything on my system is dependent on hal?

Check if anything needs hal as a dependency.

#18 2011-08-08 12:52:49

mrstegeman

$ pacman -Qi hal | grep Required

Board footer