You are not logged in.

#1 2011-08-01 14:30:47

Xi0N
Website

nVidia support on live USB

Well, the thing is that i am trying to have a working system on a USB drive, so I can plug it anywhere and have my arch linux system..... smile Im going to start a really long trip in a couple of days and i am finishing setting this up.

The only problem i encountered in the nVidia support..... i installed the default xorg drivers, and i think nouveau is trying to handle the nvidia cards, but it never starts successfully.
I tested on ati: I have video acceleration, intel gives good results as well... but 3 out of 3 computers i tested with nVidia end up locked in the gdm (before it even shows up) and i have to restart.....
In my desktop compuert, i have the nvidia driver installed... but i think this will give me problems if i install it on the USB key, won't it? I dont want it to get in conflict with the ATI drivers.....
Well, im a bit lost with this... any suggestions?

#2 2011-08-01 17:21:48

alphaniner

Re: nVidia support on live USB

The only thing I can think of is KMS.  I know nouveau requires it, and according to the wiki it can cause problems if you launch X via inittab method.  What method do you use for launching X, and have you tried just booting to command line and launching GDM manually?

But whether the Constitution really be one thing, or another, this much is certain - that it has either authorized such a government as we have had, or has been powerless to prevent it. In either case, it is unfit to exist.
-Lysander Spooner

#3 2011-08-01 17:26:34

MoonSwan

Try it without a G/Kdm or even with CMD?  That's what I'd try or try starting X from cli only?

#4 2011-08-01 17:50:48

lilsirecho
Veteran

Perhaps CTKArchLive will have a solution using nvidia drivers in version 0.7.

Prediction...This year will be a very odd year!
Hard work does not kill people but why risk it: Charlie Mccarthy
A man is not complete until he is married..then..he is finished.
When ALL is lost, what can be found? Even bytes get lonely for a little bit!     X-ray confirms Iam spineless!

#5 2011-08-01 19:23:55

Xi0N
Website

I just tested: I entered runlevel 3, then sudo gdm... and i have the same problem..... im glad i activated the REISUB thing so i can reboot safely.....
Any suggestion?

Last edited by Xi0N (2011-08-01 19:24:55)

#6 2011-08-01 19:54:07

alphaniner

I probably won't be able to help with this, but have you checked your Xorg logs for errors?  Maybe boot to console, mv/rm existing logfile, start gdm, REISUO, plug into a machine where X works and post the log?

But whether the Constitution really be one thing, or another, this much is certain - that it has either authorized such a government as we have had, or has been powerless to prevent it. In either case, it is unfit to exist.
-Lysander Spooner

#7 2011-08-01 21:24:11

Xi0N
Website

This is what happened....

http://pastebin.com/h6rpS7qm

Conflict between vesa and nouveau???

#8 2011-08-01 21:31:45

alphaniner

(EE) Failed to load module "nouveau" (module does not exist, 0)

No conflict.  nouveau is not found, and it ends up loading vesa plus fbdev (a frame buffer driver I think).

Are you sure package xf86-video-nouveau is installed?

Last edited by alphaniner (2011-08-01 21:34:30)

-Lysander Spooner

#9 2011-08-01 21:40:02

Xi0N
Website

Ok, that was lame... i didn't have that installed (i thought it was)...... now it boots and starts ok, although without 3d acceleration and really huge resolution....any other driver you recommend for maximizing compatibility with more video cards?
Also, is it recommendable to install nouveau-dri nouveau-firmware?

Thanks!

Last edited by Xi0N (2011-08-01 21:40:38)

#10 2011-08-01 21:50:56

alphaniner

nouveau-dri is experimental 3d support. I don't know anything about nouveau-firmware beyond the pacman description.  I'm running nouveau now and don't have either installed.

Are you saying you aren't getting a good resolution though?  My box defaulted to 1440x900 which I think is my monitor's max.

I think you probably have most bases covered with Intel, ATI, and nouveau.

On a side note, I had actually just installed nouveau earlier today, and performance is not as good as the proprietary nvidia driver was.  In particular, autoscrolling in FF is horrible with nouveau.  It may be possible to have the proprietary nvidia drivers installed along side the others, but as I discovered today there can be problems because nvidia creates a custom xorg.conf file.

Last edited by alphaniner (2011-08-01 21:59:40)

-Lysander Spooner

#11 2011-08-01 21:52:39

Xi0N
Website

Well, i installed that two packages and now looks better: I have two screens, and one of them is a 32'' LG which gets detected as another brand 52'' screen, and i cannot develop the max resolution it can achieve... but its still ok.....

Thanks for the help, fellas.....

Board footer