You are not logged in.

#1 2011-08-04 19:20:07

nicholma

I can find a mpd client I really like...

You can skip this paragraph. As this is my first post I feel the need to introduce myself: Engineernig stuent who has taken a late calling in life to be a computer nerd. I have been using linux for maybe 6 months, last two months I have been using Arch. I consider myslef a Newb but I think I am learning quickly enough (I have a good firend who helps me) resently desided that Computer Engineering could be fun. I have finished first year of a common entry course, for the first years we cover some civil, mechanical, electrical and computer engineer. So have 12 weeks of C++ lectures.

Okay, my introduction is done. I haven't found an graphical mpd client which I love. I currently use ncmpcpp. But I miss browsing music by album art work like iTunes or Windows mediaplayer or banshee. I am not aloud to use banshee (jk a friends hate it because it is written in C#, but I like the idea of mpd) I know gmpd has a plugin which I tried  but it isn't perfect. I have tried a handful of clients: gmpc, ario, sonata, quimup, qtmpc and gmpdclient.

I have come to the conclusion that I should write my own client. I know there are libraries for controling mpd so it is not like I have to start from scratch. I am think of using Qt and C++. I hope to get something that look similar to itunes or banshee, with a grid of album cover. I love the look of google music

So, Any advice?
What mpd clients do you use? Any with album cover?
Any advice to someone who is getting started with Qt?
Can it be done? (I believe it can be but may just take more work than I anticipate)
When I start work properly I will come back to this post and look for help, so subscribe if your interested/ can offer help in the future.

Ohh yeah. I found that the gmpc AlbumView plugin was not fluid and disliked it. I want some thing visualy similar but... better? Ario was my favourite but it lacks what I want from a graphical client, ncmpcpp can do everything it does. I am probably overly concerned with aesthetics but hey that's a good thing, ohh something shiny.

Thanks for reading.

#2 2011-08-04 19:58:08

litemotiv
Forum Fellow

Re: I can find a mpd client I really like...

Welcome to the forums nicholma.

It can certainly be done, but it might be a good idea to skim through the existing clients first. There are about 180 of them, though not many focus on aesthetics so there's probably still room for one more. wink

http://mpd.wikia.com/wiki/Clients

ᶘ ᵒᴥᵒᶅ

#3 2011-08-05 07:39:43

qball
Website

nicholma wrote:

You can skip this paragraph. As this is my first post I feel the need to introduce myself: Engineernig stuent who has taken a late calling in life to be a computer nerd. I have been using linux for maybe 6 months, last two months I have been using Arch. I consider myslef a Newb but I think I am learning quickly enough (I have a good firend who helps me) resently desided that Computer Engineering could be fun. I have finished first year of a common entry course, for the first years we cover some civil, mechanical, electrical and computer engineer. So have 12 weeks of C++ lectures.

Okay, my introduction is done. I haven't found an graphical mpd client which I love. I currently use ncmpcpp. But I miss browsing music by album art work like iTunes or Windows mediaplayer or banshee. I am not aloud to use banshee (jk a friends hate it because it is written in C#, but I like the idea of mpd) I know gmpd has a plugin which I tried  but it isn't perfect. I have tried a handful of clients: gmpc, ario, sonata, quimup, qtmpc and gmpdclient.

I have come to the conclusion that I should write my own client. I know there are libraries for controling mpd so it is not like I have to start from scratch. I am think of using Qt and C++. I hope to get something that look similar to itunes or banshee, with a grid of album cover. I love the look of google music

So, Any advice?
What mpd clients do you use? Any with album cover?
Any advice to someone who is getting started with Qt?
Can it be done? (I believe it can be but may just take more work than I anticipate)
When I start work properly I will come back to this post and look for help, so subscribe if your interested/ can offer help in the future.

Ohh yeah. I found that the gmpc AlbumView plugin was not fluid and disliked it. I want some thing visualy similar but... better? Ario was my favourite but it lacks what I want from a graphical client, ncmpcpp can do everything it does. I am probably overly concerned with aesthetics but hey that's a good thing, ohh something shiny.

Thanks for reading.

Please for the love of everything that is holy and unholy, do not write yet another MPD client (Tm).
The main problem with all these clients is, somebody steps up: "You suck I can do better", writes a half assed client and then abandons it. The next person steps up: "These all suck,  I can do better". And we never get a MPD client that has everything right.

At the moment the only clients that has been propperly maintained are: ncmpc(pp), gmpc, mpc.  I am the person behind gmpc (since 2003).
So if you want to code on a client for MPD, I beg of you, do not start yet another MPD client (tm), but try to improve one of the existing one.

For example I would love for somebody to improve the gmpc-albumview plugin, to get it fluid (even for 8000+ albums) requires doing some tricky stuff.
(also the metadata browser (esp the version in git that will be released later this month) can let you browse through albums (but it has the artist/album hierarchy) .
I am also open to suggestion, patches to improve the usability of GMPC...

But please please please do not start another MPD client. We have (had) over 40 GTK clients in the past few years, and at the moment I think only gmpc, ario are maintained.

Last edited by qball (2011-08-05 07:41:21)

#4 2011-08-05 08:37:55

litemotiv
Forum Fellow

qball, there's no dire need to quote the entire opening post...

You're right though, almost all existing clients do roughly the same thing, and they're almost all incomplete and unmaintained... Another question arises though, and that is whether the real innovation should not be trying to extend one of those niche-clients focused on a small group of people using a particular graphics/programming toolkit, but to start looking for a more universal (html5?) approach that overcomes this. GTK or QT users are such a small part of the total target group, i would personally find it a waste of time to code specifically for either one.

The existing web-clients to my knowledge are all problematic since they're basically php/python/etc webservers that run alongside mpd, but a complete in-browser approach using websockets or similar would certainly validate building YetAnotherClient. It's possible that mpd doesn't support this at this point (i'm not a programmer), but that would then really be something to investigate.

ᶘ ᵒᴥᵒᶅ

#5 2011-08-05 10:20:40

nicholma

qball, I appreciate the volume of unfinished MPD Clients is staggering, I used many of them trying to get one that does what I want. I would love to contribute to gmpc but I don't think I have the ability to at the moment. Hopefully by undertaking this project I will develop the skill I need to help you on your endeavor to improve and maintain gmpc. I am not yet commited to Qt and would be happy To use GTK to create my client.

What is your opinion, should I start my own client and use GTK and glade? Would I be able to jump start into working on gmpc plugins, I would find it daunting have to familiarise myself with both creating the UI and the pre-existing gmpc construct.

#6 2011-08-05 10:56:41

Rasi
Website

This sounds like you never coded before smile
In all honesty, start with something you are able to cope with. Streamlined and fast media libraries (including memory-wasting cover art) is not done easily. There is a reason 99% of the jukebox players cannot cope with large collections. Its complicated to do it right and it needs experience!

He hoped and prayed that there wasn't an afterlife. Then he realized there was a contradiction involved here and merely hoped that there wasn't an afterlife.

Douglas Adams

#7 2011-08-05 11:45:52

nicholma

Rasi, I have almost no coding experience... But I have to start somewhere, I will be making a platforming game starting in September/ October with a friend. I have no expectations of being any help to the likes of gmpc with my current abilities. But I would like a project and tailoring a mpc client to my desires sounds fun. I am hoping to gain that experience.

I have another 4 years of university to gain that experience I plan on getting involved with projects and learning from them, it could make study and work easier and more enjoyable.

another mpd client is not need but what should I start with? Over the next month or so I will learn about creating Qt or GTK applicatons and figured making my own mistakes in an mpd client might be a good way to start?

#8 2011-08-05 17:45:23

Rasi
Website

nicholma wrote:

Rasi, I have almost no coding experience... But I have to start somewhere, I will be making a platforming game starting in September/ October with a friend. I have no expectations of being any help to the likes of gmpc with my current abilities. But I would like a project and tailoring a mpc client to my desires sounds fun. I am hoping to gain that experience.

I have another 4 years of university to gain that experience I plan on getting involved with projects and learning from them, it could make study and work easier and more enjoyable.

another mpd client is not need but what should I start with? Over the next month or so I will learn about creating Qt or GTK applicatons and figured making my own mistakes in an mpd client might be a good way to start?

There is nothing wrong in learning coding with something you enjoy. If this is another mpd client, why not. Didnt want to slag you off, or anything.

He hoped and prayed that there wasn't an afterlife. Then he realized there was a contradiction involved here and merely hoped that there wasn't an afterlife.

Douglas Adams

#9 2011-08-05 20:59:40

ewaller
Administrator

You asked what archers use.  Painting with a broad brush, I would venture that most of us don't use a GUI client.  In my case, I control mpd using mpc and keyboard bindings.  I status mpd through conky.

Nothing is too wonderful to be true, if it be consistent with the laws of nature -- Michael Faraday
Sometimes it is the people no one can imagine anything of who do the things no one can imagine. -- Alan Turing
---
How to Ask Questions the Smart Way

#10 2011-08-06 20:32:00

rwd

<edit>nevermind, misread the question </edit>

Last edited by rwd (2011-08-07 09:04:08)

#11 2011-08-07 05:17:03

yngwin

I use QMPDClient. It's the best Qt MPD client in my opinion. It's not perfect, but it does the job for me. I also like Sonata and ncmpcpp.

I think it's a good idea to try to write a better Qt MPD client, or improve an existing one. I have thought of doing so myself. Personally, I'd either improve QMPDClient if you like C++, or start a new one from scratch using PyQt/Pyside. If you want to go for the latter, we could consider working together.

Last edited by yngwin (2011-08-07 05:17:35)

#12 2011-08-07 06:00:27

Wittfella

Hey, I also like to browse by cover art, so I a made one with Qt.  It has basic mpd control also.  Might be helpful if you are getting into Qt/C++.

https://bbs.archlinux.org/viewtopic.php?id=61660

http://aur.archlinux.org/packages.php?ID=22508

#13 2011-08-07 09:54:40

nicholma

Wittfella, uberview is a nifty little app, great work. Uberview is pretty much what I was looking for, I already have conky and ncmpcpp. I will have a go at creating something similar for myself. Definitely a good source of inspiration/ encouragement.

I knew the arch community were good but I didn't expect such a response, thanks everyone!

Board footer