You are not logged in.

#1 2005-05-15 04:09:33

BobL

upgrading shadow config file....

Hi all,

Just did a pacman -Syu and everything went well.  Some config files were saved with the extension  .pacnew

Now this usually means the user must edit those files, all well and good.  My question is how to go about editing the shadow.pacnew file.   What precisely should I edit in it as regards the original shadow file?

Do I
1) simple remove the original shadow file and rename shadow.pacnew as shadow?  ( seems like a bad idea )

2) add my username to the shadow.pacnew file  then do the above in 1?

Hopefully the answer to this will not be as blindingly obvious as the answer kindly provided to me in my last post was.  ( The answer WAS appreciated, believe me,  I just hate asking questions when a little more research would have provided the answer...yeah, it is a character flaw!)

Thanks,

BobL

#2 2005-05-15 04:16:04

cactus
Taco Eater
Website

Re: upgrading shadow config file....

3. Ignore it. The shadow file is auto generated based on your /etc/passwd file. If you put the new one in place of your old one, all your passwords go poof.
Although, maybe shadow- is the backup..never paid much attention to it..
*scratches head*

"Be conservative in what you send; be liberal in what you accept." -- Postel's Law
"tacos" -- Cactus' Law
"t̥͍͎̪̪͗a̴̻̩͈͚ͨc̠o̩̙͈ͫͅs͙͎̙͊ ͔͇̫̜t͎̳̀a̜̞̗ͩc̗͍͚o̲̯̿s̖̣̤̙͌ ̖̜̈ț̰̫͓ạ̪͖̳c̲͎͕̰̯̃̈o͉ͅs̪ͪ ̜̻̖̜͕" -- -̖͚̫̙̓-̺̠͇ͤ̃ ̜̪̜ͯZ͔̗̭̞ͪA̝͈̙͖̩L͉̠̺͓G̙̞̦͖O̳̗͍

#3 2005-05-15 04:21:21

BobL

Re: upgrading shadow config file....

Ok,

Sounds good,  I just expected to see a difference in the shadow file, and I did not after the upgrade....maybe there should be no difference.  No matter, I will indeed ignore it, and thanks muchly!

Board footer