You are not logged in.

#1 2011-08-07 13:08:57

TakisX

Using swap and home partition of ubuntu

Can i do that ?

#2 2011-08-07 13:21:09

Ramses de Norre

Re: Using swap and home partition of ubuntu

Swap: yes, if you do not hibernate ubuntu and then boot arch or vice versa.
Home: not recommended, you'll run into conflicts due to dot-file format differences when the versions of programs differ between arch and ubuntu.

#3 2011-08-07 14:50:06

Xappe

Ramses de Norre wrote:

Home: not recommended, you'll run into conflicts due to dot-file format differences when the versions of programs differ between arch and ubuntu.

If you use the same partition I would use different usernames on the systems to avoid conflicts.

vanum est vobis ante lucem surgere

#4 2011-08-07 15:08:21

Shark

Some time ago i had a common home folder for Arch and Ubuntu. I had only one problem and that was with the rhythmbox because of a newer version in Arch- as pointed by Ramses de Norre. But all other stuff worked.

If you have built castles in the air, your work need not be lost; that is where they should be. Now put foundations under them.
Henry David Thoreau

Registered Linux User: #559057

#5 2011-08-07 20:38:10

Dumbledore

Xappe's idea is good. You can use separate names for the users which shall take care of the dot-files. But then you may run into permission errors unless you make your files world-read/write/execut-able.

The other thing that you can probably do is:

Resize your /home in ubuntu using gparted into a very small partition and extract most of it's capacity into a partition you can call "Common". Mount this at /media/common and add this to the fstab of each distro and keep your data in this. Make sure you use different user names as Xappe suggested.

If you have a backup drive, this should be a fairly straight-forward process. You will however have to clean most of the bulk for gparted to be able to resize it.

GNU/Linux: Keep your options "open".

Board footer