You are not logged in.

#1 2011-08-09 01:56:11

vkumar

gnome, pulseaudio, and playback devices

I have a usb plantronics headset.

When I insert it into my computer, Pulseaudio immediately makes it the default playback device, which is great. Unfortunately, gnome-sound-applet does not recognize this change. My laptop's sound up/down/mute buttons stop working, and the playback volume does not change when I use the volume applet.

To fix this, I have to right-click the gnome volume applet, go to Sound Preferences, click the Output tab, scroll down to my Plantronics USB Headset entry, and click it. If I happen to suspend my laptop, I'll have to do this *again* when I wake it back up, because gnome decides to switch playback devices on me (even though Pulseaudio does not).

This process isn't terrible, but doing it every time I turn on || wake up my computer is frustrating. Does anyone have a fix? Is there a nice command line program that will force gnome-sound-applet to play nice (because pavucontrol won't do the job)?

Or should I just ditch gnome-sound-applet altogether? I'm actually using awesomewm with gnome-settings-daemon running in the background as a crutch.. If there's an alternative that can deal with sound devices popping in and out frequently, that would be ideal.

div curl F = 0

Board footer