You are not logged in.

#1 2011-08-10 03:08:38

shayan

nvidia driver installed, can't install intel driver

Hi,
I have a w520 laptop with nvidia optimus.

Before installing  Linux, I disabled optimus and set graphics to discrete graphics in bios.
Now I want to install intel graphics too and use it from time to time and perhaps use optimus with bumblebee later. The problem is that I cannot install the intel driver.
When I run
pacman -Sy xf86-video-intel
pacman tries to install libgl package as a dependency which is in conflict with nvidia-utils and asks for removing it.
Any ideas what to do? I guess nvidia card will not work without this package. Is there any way to have both of them. (I am not shooting for optimus yet, I just want to make them work separately, the next step is to install bumblebee)

#2 2011-08-10 03:39:08

Jodell

Re: nvidia driver installed, can't install intel driver

The intel driver and the nvidia driver conflicts. As a fellow owner of an optimus laptop, I highly recommend bumblebee. smile

#3 2011-08-10 04:26:14

shayan

In order to install bumblebee, should I remove the nvidia-utils package first?

#4 2011-08-10 06:55:05

framas

shayan wrote:

In order to install bumblebee, should I remove the nvidia-utils package first?

Replace it with nvidia-utils-bumblebee from aur.

#5 2011-08-11 03:52:31

shayan

The problem is lots of package are dependent on it ( including gnome3) and I cannot remove all of them.

#6 2011-08-11 05:42:19

ngoonee
Forum Fellow

shayan wrote:

The problem is lots of package are dependent on it ( including gnome3) and I cannot remove all of them.

nvidia-utils-bumblebee provides nvidia-utils, so you can remove nvidia-utils ignoring dependencies (read pacman's man page).

Allan-Volunteer on the (topic being discussed) mailn lists. You never get the people who matters attention on the forums.
jasonwryan-Installing Arch is a measure of your literacy. Maintaining Arch is a measure of your diligence. Contributing to Arch is a measure of your competence.
Griemak-Bleeding edge, not bleeding flat. Edge denotes falls will occur from time to time. Bring your own parachute.

Board footer