You are not logged in.

#1 2005-05-17 08:32:30

jesus franco

Arch cant see my ide harddrive

First off I would like to say I am a new Arch Linux user. I must say Amazing work. It is much faster than my previous distro Ubuntu. And it is more stable. It isnt hard to install dispite what some say. I am 15 and if I can do it I know alot of people can. The wiki provides a good amount of printable documentation for newbies. I am loving this distro so far.

Now to break the good news and bi*ch  :!:
My primary harddrive is sata and it was installed and configured corectly. My problem is after the installation I shut off my pc to connect my ata hard drive that had files from my previous distro. It is the master drive on the first ide channel. When i edited my fstab so that it can be mounted at start-up I notice that it wasnt. I looked in my Device folder (/dev/) and didnt find a device called hda1 or hda anything. There is the hdc device tho and that is my cd burner. So my systems devices are working correctly.

Im sure I am simply over looking a module that I am suposed to load at start-up. If some one knows of any please tell me. I need to listen to my music!  :cry:

And Once agian kudos to the community for thier great work on the packages the distro and the documentation big_smile

#2 2005-05-17 08:58:23

paranoos

Re: Arch cant see my ide harddrive

nope, there aren't any modules for ide support in the arch kernels ... support is compiled in directly.

have a look at your BIOS settings, perhaps that ide channel was disabled.

also, make sure you're using the right part of your ide cables, and that the jumper on the drive is set to the right place. since you said you just connected the ata drive, it's likely you overlooked such a simple thing. i know i've done it many times!

#3 2005-05-17 13:43:20

phrakture
Arch Overlord
Website

Re: Arch cant see my ide harddrive

sata devices are detected as scsi drives.... yours will be /dev/sda{1,2,3,4}

Board footer