You are not logged in.

#1 2011-08-13 03:57:09

stryder

[solved] ncmpcpp - album sort?

Have recently set up a headless server for my multimedia needs. Since I control it via ssh I had to install a console music player and have decided on mpd/ncmpcpp. One thing that bugs me is that the Media Library sorts with Artist as the first criteria. Even in the 2-column view where Album takes precedence, it is still Album (sorted by artist), which is kind of silly since I can get that already in the 3 column view. And so it is difficult to access my albums which are compilations of many artists. Is there any way I can have "Album" and see all the songs in that album in the next column?

Or failing which are there any other console players I can use?

Last edited by stryder (2011-08-13 13:12:00)

#2 2011-08-13 08:24:18

Rasi
Website

Re: [solved] ncmpcpp - album sort?

stryder wrote:

And so it is difficult to access my albums which are compilations of many artists. Is there any way I can have "Album" and see all the songs in that album in the next column?

Or failing which are there any other console players I can use?

Thats what the albumartist tag is for. And ncmpcpp supports this one just fine. just add tag "albumartist = Soundtrack" (for example) on those albums.
to make ncmpcpp sort media library using this tag, hit ` and then A for albumartist.

**edit** also make sure, to add the albumartist tag to the supported ones in mpd.conf

Last edited by Rasi (2011-08-13 08:24:50)

He hoped and prayed that there wasn't an afterlife. Then he realized there was a contradiction involved here and merely hoped that there wasn't an afterlife.

Douglas Adams

#3 2011-08-13 10:26:33

stryder

Thanks, Rasi. I'll test it out and see. Am I right to assume that if I have a few files tagged "albumartist=compilation" then I will see all those songs when I select "compilation" under the 2 column view?

Ah, just tested out the ` then A trick - since the album artist tag is currently empty for all my files the 2-column view is then exactly what I want.

Thanks again. smile

#4 2011-08-13 10:56:18

Rasi
Website

please mark as [solved]

He hoped and prayed that there wasn't an afterlife. Then he realized there was a contradiction involved here and merely hoped that there wasn't an afterlife.

Douglas Adams

Board footer