You are not logged in.

#1 2005-05-18 05:59:33

tomk
Forum Fellow

PKGBUILD updated - how long until new package is available?

I submitted a feature request for the bluez-utils package, and got a notification that it had been added (thanks devs smile ). I can see the updated PKGBUILD in ABS, so I was just wondering how long it might take for the package to be available via pacman.

#2 2005-05-18 07:01:31

Snowman
Developer/Forum Fellow

Re: PKGBUILD updated - how long until new package is available?

It could take a few days or more if the package maintainer is waiting for the next bluez-utils version to update the package.  If you don't want to wait, you can use ABS to build it. Also, you can ask the package maintainer about that.

#3 2005-05-18 09:52:28

tomk
Forum Fellow

Thanks Snowman. I've already built my own version - it was the only way to get my bluetooth going. I suppose I'm just trying to understand how packages get updated, outside of new upstream releases. The PKGBUILD in question now has the following lines:

pkgver=2.15
pkgrel=2

which I understand to mean that a new Arch package will be created using the existing release 2.15. Your post suggests otherwise.

At least I can now be sure that the next package will include my requested feature - whenever it arrives.........

#4 2005-05-18 17:02:37

JGC
Developer

We use devtools most of the time, which uploads the package, commits changes to CVS and then tags the new package for the repository.

After running one of the devtools scripts to upload/commit/tag the new package, we need to login into the server and run a script to update the package database. This script updates the website and makes the current.db.tar.gz file or whatever repository you're using.

Since running this db script takes a while, not every developer runs it instantly after uploading packages, so it could take an hour, maybe a day or even a full week when no developer runs the db-update script. The packages are available on the FTP within the next hour though.

#5 2005-05-19 23:43:00

tomk
Forum Fellow

Thanks for the info, JGC - very enlightening.

Board footer