You are not logged in.

#1 2011-08-13 22:53:20

jakobcreutzfeldt

[SOLVED] Privoxy 404s everything

I'm trying to get Privoxy up and running. I followed the wiki instructions, but they're not that great. First of all, they recommend turning on socks5 forwarding for everyone when clearly not all of us are behind a socks 5 proxy. Also, the recommendations for the /etc/hosts file are directly opposed to what's recommended in the Arch Beginners Guide. As a professed beginner, I'm hesitant to mess with that file until I'm sure I know what I'm doing.
My /etc/hosts looks like:

#
# /etc/hosts: static lookup table for host names
#

#<ip-address>   <hostname.domain.org>   <hostname>
127.0.0.1       localhost.localdomain   localhost brandon-linux
::1             localhost.localdomain   localhost

# End of file

Ok, so now the actual problem. I installed privoxy, I have all the default configuration right now which, according to the Privoxy documentation, should be sufficient. I'm running the privoxy daemon. I then set up the Gnome system preferences to use HTTP/HTTPS proxy at localhost:8118. I'm using Epiphany to browse, so browser specific proxy settings aren't necessary. I find that I can browse some pages which I've already connected to before, but soon all url requests lead to instant 404 errors for every page. If I turn off the Gnome proxy settings, everything is back to normal.

The Privoxy Troubleshooting section (5.17) mentions that this might happen but doesn't give much in the way of solutions. Does anyone have any insight?

Last edited by jakobcreutzfeldt (2011-08-14 14:53:20)

#2 2011-08-14 00:42:45

jakobcreutzfeldt

Re: [SOLVED] Privoxy 404s everything

Hold the phone...it may have just been poor coincidental timing. After I turned off privoxy I started to have more 404 problems in general. I've turned it back on and things seem to be working again. I'll report back if the problem comes back.

Board footer