You are not logged in.

#1 2011-08-14 10:54:42

jcci

Asus Eee Slate

Hi,

The Eee Slate is really a great item. You can use as Tablet, Notebook or via HDMI as desktop computer with enough power.
Consequently there should be dual boot with Arch :). Most problems of this special device I solved already and if anybody is interested I could make a summary later on:
- Correct corrupt partition table. You won't be able to install any boot loader the way the item arrives.
- Make pen-drive Parted Magic
- Make pen-drive Arch
- Enable wireless on a very basic system (no LAN connector)
- Bluetooth
- Virtual Keyboard

But I have one problem I have no idea how to solve so far and I'm hoping for help from this great community:
When starting the computer I get the Grub menu, just the way it should be. But how to choose any item without always carrying a USB keyboard? The Eee Slate has a Bluetooth keyboard and the touchscreen (pen or finger). Both does not work on this very basic level.

#2 2011-08-22 10:51:15

jcci

Re: Asus Eee Slate

Nobody has an idea of how to toggle the GRUB menu?
One hardware "Enter" key is available, a pen or touchscreen and a bluetooth keyboard.

#3 2011-08-22 13:20:50

karol
Archivist

Have you tried using 'default 1', assuming '1' corresponds to the grub menu number of the OS you want to boot?
Also https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Gr … oot_choice

#4 2011-08-22 22:19:47

caligo

I think the GAG boot manager supports mouse input, but I'm not entirely certain.

#5 2011-09-18 03:06:03

jcci

It is getting less bad now:

Grub: The small volume up down knob works as arrow key at bios level. So it is actually possible to choose any GRUB entry, but you won't be able to edit without using an USB keyboard.

2 major obstacles left for using this model successfully with Arch:

1. Microsoft wireless keyboard 6000.
A Bluetooth keyboard which comes together with the Eee Slate. I simply found now way of using it with Arch so far. By doing a Bluetooth scan any other device is visible (mobile phone...) but not this keyboard. Anyway it works under Windows 7 and shows up when scanning.

2. I managed to make KVKBD (virtual keyboard) to start together with KBD. Pride and happiness vanished quickly when I had to find that I can not type username and password with this keyboard anyway. It is like having 2 separate program windows: Once I change to kvkbd the kbd window is inactive. Actually kvkbd should work as a keyboard for kbd.
After login kvkbd works normally and you can use a pen.

Next would be a good manager for Intel graphics similar to the NVIDIA settings manager for managing the HDMI output with a second monitor. Then Wacom gestures for zoom and turn...

Last edited by jcci (2011-09-18 03:07:25)

#6 2011-10-07 06:36:34

jcci

It's almost good:

- Gnome 3.2 solved the login problem since gdm supports an onscreen keyboard now.
- Right mouse-click via pen in the Gnome-Control-Center (you need to install mousetweaks)

But the Bluetooth keyboard simply does not show up in the scan procedure, although other devices does and the keyboard works an the same adapter with Windows7. I goggled that other people seems to use it and OpenSuse claims perfect operation with 11.4.
This would be the final step for enjoying Arch with an Asus Eee Slate.
Is there anybody with a helping idea?

Board footer