You are not logged in.

#1 2011-08-14 21:51:53

Baryon

Unresponsive behaviour / broad X-related issues

I am sorry that the problem I will shortly report may sound somewhat 'diffuse'... I really hope that there's nothing irreparably broken about my Arch installation, which is only a few days old, on my ThinkPad T41p laptop.

The first problem I noticed was unresponsive keyboard input in the text consoles, i.e. tty1, tty2 etc. By this, I mean that when I press a key, it is sometimes ignored. I can't type a password reliably because I don't know which keys have been accepted! This problem only occurs if a window manager is running. As soon as I exit the window manager, even if my login manager (slim) is still running, the problem stops. But I don't think the problem is restricted to the consoles, because I find that there is sometimes sluggish text input or general performance issues in my window managers too. I've got three wms at the moment - e16, e17 and musca - and all of them have displayed apparently intermittent performance issues.

To try to troubleshoot the issue, I changed inittab so that I wouldn't boot straight into X, and then launched my window managers one by one. I didn't experience the keyboard problem in the text consoles, although weird stuff happened when I switched back to the wm after checking the console. Musca randomly stopped accepting my keybindings. Enlightenment 17 froze and looked as though part of tty2 was 'showing through' it. (Didn't try e16 because it uses over 90% of my CPU for some possibly unrelated reason.) [Update: I think both wms are freezing; though any apps open in them continue to work. Update 2: this doesn't seem to happen if Eterm isn't running. Maybe Eterm is the culprit.]

I'm fairly sure that the system was working fine when I first installed Arch (including after updating it to kernel 3, which I did immediately). There have certainly been times when performance was good, though I can't be certain if it's just because of the intermittent nature of it, or if something specific caused it at some point.

I'm using the radeon driver for my ATI FireGL graphics card.

Finally, there is a kernel-related error/warning that I receive when I boot or reboot the system:

watchdog: failed to be enabled on some cpus

I'm not sure if that's related or not?

Last edited by Baryon (2011-08-14 22:11:22)

Board footer