You are not logged in.

#1 2011-08-15 13:02:52

Who'sThere?

Xorg resolution issue

Hello.

I recently encountered an issue where the Xorg auto-detection was setting my gfx card to display the desktop on the highest available resolution. In the case of this PC, this is undesirable.

How would I go about generating a partial xorg.conf that only details the screen resolution, and color depth, for the desktop? I'll have to tweak it to find the setting that allows DRI.

And... will having a partial xorg.conf (only one/two parameters set) affect, or disable, the rest of the Xorg auto-detect settings?

Arch Linux: x86_64, Default Kernel.
Repos: Core, Extra, Community, Multilib.

#2 2011-08-15 13:20:57

karol
Archivist

Re: Xorg resolution issue

What's the output of xrandr? Have you tried using it to set the resolution?

#3 2011-08-16 00:42:09

Who'sThere?

karol wrote:

What's the output of xrandr? Have you tried using it to set the resolution?

xrandr: Failed to get size of gamma for output defaults
Screen 0: minimum 400 x 300, current 1440 x 900, maximum 1440 x 900
default connected 1440x900+0+0 0mm x 0mm

I had added the line to the very top of my .xinitrc file.

xrandr -s 1024x768 -r 75

But while the desktop loaded with the right resolution, I still received the following error logged in the /var/log/Xorg.0.log file, and there was no noticable increase in the desktop  performance. Standard definition video playback is horrible, even with the Matrox (xv 0) video backend of mplayer.

Static buffer allocation failed, not initializing the DRI
Need at least 15187 kB video memory at this resolution, bit depth

This is the error I was getting beforehand. I also don't know how to change the color depth, if possible, with xrandr.

In short, it seems changing to a lower resolution with xrandr hasn't made it better, or worse. Am I missing something here, or is possible that Arch has simply changed too much in the past year to warrant using it on PCs this old.

Arch Linux: x86_64, Default Kernel.
Repos: Core, Extra, Community, Multilib.

#4 2011-08-16 13:47:16

fsckd
Forum Fellow

Who'sThere? wrote:

Hello.

I recently encountered an issue where the Xorg auto-detection was setting my gfx card to display the desktop on the highest available resolution. In the case of this PC, this is undesirable.

How would I go about generating a partial xorg.conf that only details the screen resolution, and color depth, for the desktop? I'll have to tweak it to find the setting that allows DRI.

And... will having a partial xorg.conf (only one/two parameters set) affect, or disable, the rest of the Xorg auto-detect settings?

Full xorg.conf are not used much anymore. "Partial", as you call it, are stored in xorg.conf.d. For example, I needed a new modeline for my monitor so I created a file /etc/X11/xorg.conf.d/10-monitor.conf and gave it this content: http://sprunge.us/NBLO .

aur S & M :: forum rules :: Community Ethos
Resources for Women, POC, LGBT*, and allies

Board footer