You are not logged in.

#1 2003-09-13 06:49:40

MNKyDeth

cd-rom can't read music cd's?

Well, let me just say I am new to linux in general and even more new to Arch linux. I did mange my way through the install of Arch Linux with the help of someone. I learned alot from that experience, but since I am still new there are still a few things I bump into here and there that give me problems.

My problem is my cd-rom does not read music cd's of any kind. Wether they are burned or original discs. It does read game discs and data discs just fine though. I installed my setup from a base-cd install and added the packages I wanted. I went with KDE as my gui and have minimal other packages installed. I have kdebase, kdeadmin, kdeutils, kdemultimedia and kdenetwork. I also have xmms installed because I thought that the kde cd-player just wasn't working right.

Well, this is the error I get...

[anvildemon@speedphreak anvildemon]$ mount /dev/cdroms/cdrom0
mount: wrong fs type, bad option, bad superblock on /dev/cdroms/cdrom0,
       or too many mounted file systems
[anvildemon@speedphreak anvildemon]$

Like I said, this only happens with music cd's. All my game cd's and data cd's are read without a problem. Any ideas are greatly appreciated.

#2 2003-09-13 07:43:17

sarah31
Website

Re: cd-rom can't read music cd's?

well music cds don't have a filesystem that is why they cannot be mounted in the "traditional" way. basically you just put them in launch the cdplayer you are using and thats it.

now to set xmms up to play cds:

launch xmms

right click on the title bar and this should give you a pop-up menu

go to options then choose preferences

the "Audio I/O Plugins" tab should be at the front of the selections click on "CD Audio Player 1.2.8 [libcdaudio.so]"

then click on configure

device should be: /dev/cdroms/cdrom0
directory should be : /mnt/cd

for playmode i have analog and for volume control i have OSS Mixer selected.

the rest is self explanatory i think.

then ok then put a disc in and hit play and you should be fine.

AKA uknowme

I am not your friend

#3 2003-09-13 09:40:05

MNKyDeth

Thank you very much sarah31, I am now jamming out to some Blind Guardian.  big_smile

I do have another small problem though. I was reading through alot of the forums here and I was able to get my usb keyboard and mouse working without using my PS/2 adapters.

The problem is I do not have use of my scroll wheel on my mouse. I did add the Option "ZAxisMapping" "4 5" to my xfree86 config file but it's still a no go for me. I use a Logitech Cordless Duo usb keyboard and mouse. Here is the section of my xf86config file for my mouse to see if any options are wrong.

Section "InputDevice"

# Identifier and driver

Identifier    "Mouse1"
    Driver    "mouse"
    Option "Protocol"    "Auto"
    Option "Device"      "/dev/input/mice"
    Option "ZAxisMapping" "4 5"

# Mouse-speed setting for PS/2 mouse.

Thanks for the help sarah31.  smile

#4 2003-09-13 14:57:27

Toth

You might try switching the protocol on the mouse to IMPS/2. That's how my USB wheelmouse is setup and it runs fine.

You may also have to add Options "Buttons" "5" in order for it to work, but I didn't.

And a Blind Guardian fan? I like some of their work, and don't find too many people that like them tongue  You probably like other, similar bands? Iced Earth? Symphony X? I like some of Dream Theatre too ~_~

#5 2003-09-13 18:39:13

MNKyDeth

Thanks Toth, the IMPS/2 line worked great for fixing the problem. I did not have to add the line "Options Buttons 5" either. My side button works just fine with only the IMPS/2 change.

Yeah, actually Iced Earth is my favorite band, I don't know something about there music just touches me. Blind Guardian is a nice close second to Iced. I have never heard of Symphony X, I will look into them.  smile  I am not really into Dream Theatre but beyond Iced and Blind my main area of music is, music like, Slayer, SpineShank, Quite Riot, MegaDeth and so on.

Thanks for the help. I love my Arch setup, so much faster than my old RH9 setup I was using. Plus I have learned tons more in the past 2-5 days than I have with RH9 in the past 2-3 months.

#6 2003-09-14 01:21:26

skeeter

Thanks Sarah, your tips on configuration were very helpful as usual.  wink

Skeeter

Rule #1:  There are NO RULES!

Board footer