You are not logged in.

#1 2011-08-17 18:05:16

DSpider

[SOLVED] Openbox autostart not working anymore?

I ran a system update (sudo pacman -Syu) and now tint2, parcellite, volman, deluge, dropbox, guake and everything else I had set up in ~/.config/openbox/autostart.sh (like various scripts, etc) do not start automatically anymore.

What happened? I see Opebox 3.5.0-2 was released yesterday. Did they change anything?

Last edited by DSpider (2011-08-17 23:36:43)

"How to Succeed with Linux"

I have made a personal commitment not to reply in topics that start with a lowercase letter. Proper grammar and punctuation is a sign of respect, and if you do not show any, you will NOT receive any help (at least not from me).

#2 2011-08-17 18:09:47

karol
Archivist

Re: [SOLVED] Openbox autostart not working anymore?

#3 2011-08-17 18:25:46

ataraxia

autostart.sh should now be called just autostart (without .sh on the end). Upstream renamed it.

I'd also suggest comparing your rc.xml with the default one in case you're using some out-of-date config options. I know I found a bunch in mine to update. Thankfully, Openbox continued to understand the old options until I updated the config.

#4 2011-08-17 19:15:36

DSpider

Renaming the file didn't help.

I have made a personal commitment not to reply in topics that start with a lowercase letter. Proper grammar and punctuation is a sign of respect, and if you do not show any, you will NOT receive any help (at least not from me).

#5 2011-08-17 21:32:55

bernarcher
Forum Fellow

Do you by chance run an LXDE system? In this case symlinking lxde-rc.xml to rc.xml in the ~/.config/openbox/ folder might help.

To know or not to know ...
... the questions remain forever.

#6 2011-08-17 23:36:26

DSpider

No. The only thing I use from LXDE is probably LXAppearance.

Anyway, while the forum was down someone from the IRC channel suggested I use ~/.xinitrc instead. And it works pretty well so far... If it keeps things like this from ever (EVER) happening again, all the more reason to use it, right? Though it probably won't play nice if you have several DE/WM options available... Personally I don't, so .xinitrc is good enough for me.

I think I'll mark it as SOLVED, even though it's not related to Openbox anymore.

Cheers.

PS: Don't forget to add them before "exec ... openbox-session", and don't forget to add a "&" symbol at the end so they run in the background (and not wait for each other to finish so the next one can start). For example:

~/.config/openbox/scripts/mount&
numlockx on&
tint2&
cairo-compmgr&
volwheel&
guake&
parcellite&
fbxkb&
#deluge&
mpd /home/dspider/.config/mpd/mpd.conf
exec ck-launch-session dbus-launch --sh-syntax --exit-with-session openbox-session

Last edited by DSpider (2011-08-17 23:52:21)

#7 2011-08-18 08:29:00

dharmabm

DSpider wrote:

I ran a system update (sudo pacman -Syu) and now tint2, parcellite, volman, deluge, dropbox, guake and everything else I had set up in ~/.config/openbox/autostart.sh (like various scripts, etc) do not start automatically anymore.

What happened? I see Opebox 3.5.0-2 was released yesterday. Did they change anything?

i had the same issue, and fixed it like this -
first, i discovered that somehow autostart.sh lost its executable flag, so i restored that, but it still didn't run. so i tried running it manually and found it throwing an error on the ". $GLOBALAUTOSTART" line (which i cannot recall why it was there), so i commented it out and now all is back to normal. now if i can just figure out why thunar won't automount external drives or connect to network shares anymore i'll be happy again!
k

#8 2011-08-20 06:24:19

jrabi

dharmabm wrote:

i had the same issue, and fixed it like this -
first, i discovered that somehow autostart.sh lost its executable flag, so i restored that, but it still didn't run. so i tried running it manually and found it throwing an error on the ". $GLOBALAUTOSTART" line (which i cannot recall why it was there), so i commented it out and now all is back to normal. now if i can just figure out why thunar won't automount external drives or connect to network shares anymore i'll be happy again!
k

Many-many thanks to you dharmabm! The openbox autostart works perfectly again! smile

Board footer