You are not logged in.

#1 2005-05-20 12:04:10

dtw
Forum Fellow
Website

Should we lock the desktop thread and start some new ones?

Lets face it, you can't read the whole thing now anyway!

I propose that we retire it and start some new threads for desktops based on WM/DE environment, so we'd have a thread each for:

· xfce
· gnome
· kde
· *box
· fvwm

And others that anyone can think of.  The strength of this idea is it's biggest weakness - easy to see screenies for different desktops but you have several thread to view and can't look at it all together - but what are tabs for eh?

Vote soon!

#2 2005-05-20 12:19:42

iphitus
Forum Fellow

Re: Should we lock the desktop thread and start some new ones?

i like having it all in one thread, where i can just scroll down and look at them all in one hit.

now theres a lot more to be done..

personally, i think it'd be fine to start a new screenshot thread monthly, its what's done on other forums im on.

#3 2005-05-20 14:59:41

phrakture
Arch Overlord
Website

I like the idea... think about it this way... if you're using fvwm and want to see other peoples fvwm shots, you have to sift through OB3 shots, and metacity, and other things...

#4 2005-05-20 15:25:20

soniX

great idea... and if the starter posts some guidelines, it could be really cool... if you post something nice, please write what the cool stuff is, or you know the five next posts is going to be "how did you do that, what is that.. and so on"...
based on small descriptions people post, this could be turned into a wiki, and arch will be the "artsy" linux distro... arts-linux ?

#5 2005-05-20 15:28:41

Kern

good idea methinks.

#6 2005-05-20 15:32:18

Meshuggin

it seems it's all about shots tongue , in that case, why don't to make different postit to every WM shots and keep the "Desktop Environments" thread?, well, if it's not possible, I vote for the "Desktop Environments RELOADED" tongue

Arch GNU/Linux 0.7.1 (Noodle)
Linux 2.6.14-archck1

#7 2005-05-20 15:35:45

Moo-Crumpus

I would like to see a monthly thread. "Desktops of July 05", for example. So you have a fresh collection each month, and maybe ... 8) ... poll for a top five in the end.

Frumpus addict
[mu'.krum.pus], [frum.pus]

#8 2005-05-20 15:43:01

Kern

it seems it's all about shots tongue

Thats a good point. im not so interested in looking at screenies only.

Maybe splitting would strengthen smaller DE/WM groups and give them identity on the forum.
Easier to fathom who uses what, and how its set up,  rather than how pretty their PC screen is or how artistically inclined they are.

#9 2005-05-20 18:02:38

miqorz

I think it's a terrible idea and only creates a great way to be ignorant and delusional of every other desktop enviroment and window manager.

I wouldn't have made my recent "switch" to xfce if it hadn't been for screenshots I didn't seek.

http://wiki2.archlinux.org/

Read it. Love it. Live it. Or die.

#10 2005-05-20 21:21:25

iphitus
Forum Fellow

Pink Chick wrote:

I would like to see a monthly thread. "Desktops of July 05", for example. So you have a fresh collection each month, and maybe ... 8) ... poll for a top five in the end.

I tried that at another forum, the poll for the top 5 thing. and i can tell you, its not easy to run.

#11 2005-05-20 23:37:45

Kern

how does splitting / re categorizing a topic into sub topics form

a great way to be ignorant and delusional of every other desktop enviroment and window manager.

surely its only a way of categorizing an index. it doesnt prevent a user from exploring new ideas.

it does however, help some ppl sort the wheat from the chaff, if they know they are no longer interested in, say, KDE

#12 2005-05-21 01:14:57

citral

I think making new threads based on month is the best. Links tend to die, so then you're at least sure you won't waste your time clicking dead ones.

One of the main causes of the fall of the Roman Empire was that, lacking zero,
they had no way to indicate successful termination of their C programs.

#13 2005-05-21 01:23:24

cactus
Taco Eater
Website

yeah. i say monthly, but all inclusive, would be the best.

"Be conservative in what you send; be liberal in what you accept." -- Postel's Law
"tacos" -- Cactus' Law
"t̥͍͎̪̪͗a̴̻̩͈͚ͨc̠o̩̙͈ͫͅs͙͎̙͊ ͔͇̫̜t͎̳̀a̜̞̗ͩc̗͍͚o̲̯̿s̖̣̤̙͌ ̖̜̈ț̰̫͓ạ̪͖̳c̲͎͕̰̯̃̈o͉ͅs̪ͪ ̜̻̖̜͕" -- -̖͚̫̙̓-̺̠͇ͤ̃ ̜̪̜ͯZ͔̗̭̞ͪA̝͈̙͖̩L͉̠̺͓G̙̞̦͖O̳̗͍

#14 2005-05-21 01:34:09

miqorz

cactus wrote:

yeah. i say monthly, but all inclusive, would be the best.

Agreed.

A new thread for EVERY DE/WM is absolutely stupid.

#15 2005-05-21 01:41:46

iphitus
Forum Fellow

Just think.... a new thread for each WM/DE

ion
*box
gnome
kde
xfce
fvwm
windowmaker
wmii
ratpoison

lotsa threads ey? i think monthy might work best. its a happy medium.

#16 2005-05-21 01:58:05

droog

Maybe one for de's and one for wm's would be better.
I think that would seperate peoples interest enough in what kind of screens they want to look at. People who use lightweight wms generally dont like looking at kde or gnome and vice versa. but if they do it would be 1 thread away.  either way i think a monthly thread is a must.

#17 2005-05-21 02:36:14

iphitus
Forum Fellow

droog wrote:

Maybe one for de's and one for wm's would be better.
I think that would seperate peoples interest enough in what kind of screens they want to look at. People who use lightweight wms generally dont like looking at kde or gnome and vice versa. but if they do it would be 1 thread away.  either way i think a monthly thread is a must.

you make quite a big generalisation when you say lightweight wm users dont like looking at DE screenshots.

I always look at the screenshots of everything, even the KDE ones, there could be an interesting application, someone's listening to some cool music, or theres a new theme that will coax me back to metacity. I like to keep on top and see how each of the DEs and WMs are progressing new features and such.

I'm sure others are the same too. I dont think seperation is needed, a monthly thread will cut it down quite fine.

#18 2005-05-21 03:07:48

dtw
Forum Fellow
Website

miqorz wrote:

I think it's a terrible idea and only creates a great way to be ignorant and delusional of every other desktop enviroment and window manager.

This is so typical of you miqorz - ignorance and ignorant behaviour, as you often clearly demonstrate, is something that some people will be just be prone to.

miqorz wrote:

I wouldn't have made my recent "switch" to xfce if it hadn't been for screenshots I didn't seek.

Why do you assume everyone is as narrow minded and cynical as you?

Even if we keep it in one thread most people post links to their screenies along with an "XFCE and torsmo..." type intro - what forces such ignorant people to follow the links?  Nothing.  So...that's a stupid arguement.

I like the idea of monthly threads and i agree that loads of seperate threads could produce TOO many BUT we could limit it to a few specifics and then "Others" - how many ion or wmii people actually post their screenies frequently?

The poll is looking very much in favour of the switch at the moment!

I think we may hold another shorter poll afterwards tho - monthly vs individual

#19 2005-05-21 03:09:19

ozar

I've never looked at them so voted "don't care".   :?

Fancy graphical desktops with lots of icons don't appeal to me at all.  In fact, I like my desktop totally clean with no icons and a very plain background.  Guess there's no reason to post it...  big_smile   wink

oz

#20 2005-05-21 03:16:58

dtw
Forum Fellow
Website

...and possibly no reason to post in this thread at all!  lol

#21 2005-05-21 03:19:09

ozar

heheee...

You crack me up, dib!   lol

oz

#22 2005-05-21 03:22:59

dtw
Forum Fellow
Website

:? - really? Weird...

#23 2005-05-21 03:32:39

iphitus
Forum Fellow

dibblethewrecker wrote:

I like the idea of monthly threads and i agree that loads of seperate threads could produce TOO many BUT we could limit it to a few specifics and then "Others" - how many ion or wmii people actually post their screenies frequently?

The poll is looking very much in favour of the switch at the moment!

I think we may hold another shorter poll afterwards tho - monthly vs individual

great, now ion doesnt even deserve a name, it's 'other' sad

I dont read the text, i scroll down and click all the screenshots open into new tabs, I usually dont need to, i can identify this is xfce, this is gnome and this is fluxbox.

The other thing is, someone who doesnt know what {insert wm here} is, may be unlikely to open that wm's thread and have a look.

i am yet to see a decent reason why we should seperate them into different threads, apart from 'its cleaner' which is really a weak argument in light of the monthly thread idea.

iphitus

#24 2005-05-21 04:04:08

dtw
Forum Fellow
Website

iphitus wrote:

great, now ion doesnt even deserve a name, it's 'other' sad

I never said that smile I just said that people less frequently posted screenies of it

iphitus wrote:

The other thing is, someone who doesnt know what {insert wm here} is, may be unlikely to open that wm's thread and have a look.

a counter arguement might be that they would be MORE likely to look at that thread:

"Oh, ion screenies, I never even heard of that...{click}"

I think the Arch community is a tinkering community - stuff we haven't heard of makes us more interested, not less interested, cos we know that the best stuff is usually the least well known.

I do agree, however, that without a title refering to the wm inside, people would overlook "Other" entirely - which would be bad

It could be called "ion, wmi{i}, ratposion, * screenies" tho...

#25 2005-05-21 04:40:01

miqorz

Actually.. If you look closer more people either don't care or think it's a stupid idea than "like" the idea.

It's just a generally stupid idea to have a thread for every desktop enviroment or window manager.

If you only want screenshots for a specific desktop enviroment go to their forum!

XFce, GNOME and KDE each have their own.

These are ARCH screenshots.

Board footer