You are not logged in.

#1 2011-08-21 15:12:56

scjet
Banned

[SOLVED] No kde-lite ?

Hi,
-#Linux 3.0-ARCH  with kdebase  4.7.0-1 ...

I have successfully installed (the full) KDE, in the past as well as now, so i thought I would give the latest "kde-lite" a spin in Arch.
But, when I try to install the latest KDE minimal install according to:
https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/KDE
"...
# pacman -S kdebase kde-l10n-yourlanguagehere phonon-vlc
You can choose phonon-gstreamer instead phonon-vlc.
..."
-anyway, it just hangs forever, between after the login but just before finishing loading the desktop ?
Also, I notice that "X" process' is running at 99% CPU usage.
Is kdebase/kdebase-workspace not enough for a minimul "kde-lite" installation.? I tried "disabling" composting/compiz in ~/.kde4/..., but to no avail.

Summarily, if I install, for example the full (pacman -S kde), then of course, it installs everything, AND it works ok.
And, please note !: that I also just tested X successfully with a simple startx and xorg-twm,... and everything works just fine. So it ain't a driver/xorg issue
Is it possiby that in Arch, as far as KDE4 is concerned, it's either ALL (KDE4) or nothing ?

thx ahead.
Rick.

Last edited by scjet (2011-08-22 01:39:38)

The "BSD" things in life are "Free", and "Open", and so is "Arch"

#2 2011-08-21 15:23:32

gerald82

Re: [SOLVED] No kde-lite ?

Out of convinience I also istalled a full KDE in the first place,
but have uninstalled unneeded packages occasionally ever since.

It would be interesting to know whether you run on an errournous installation this way, too.

#3 2011-08-21 15:39:09

scjet
Banned

gerald82 wrote:

Out of convinience I also istalled a full KDE in the first place,
but have uninstalled unneeded packages occasionally ever since.

It would be interesting to know whether you run on an errournous installation this way, too.

Ya, well I just assumed that a KDE "Minimal install", according to arch's kde wiki (I mentioned above), did NOT mean a non-working desktop, that sits their using 99% CPU but does nuthin' ?
I really wish KDE would just bring back their "kde-lite" versions, instead of them pretending that everyone must love Kubuntu.
Aptosid has a "kde-lite" distro, but I've had issues with, (from what I think is?) the nvidia driver corrupting the kernel, or whatever,..,and basically I just prefer Arch a lot more,  but anyway,
a nice bare minimum working KDE desktop (plasmazoids or not) in Arch would be cool, and lightweight.
smile

Last edited by scjet (2011-08-21 15:49:44)

#4 2011-08-21 15:43:36

wonder
Developer
Website

pacman -S kdebase is not minimal enough? then you can install whatever you like

Give what you have. To someone, it may be better than you dare to think.

#5 2011-08-21 15:54:57

scjet
Banned

wonder wrote:

of course pre-installed the usual xorg,..., nvidia,...
  I'm not sure how much of a part these had for a kde-lite, but I installed dbus, mesa, and mesa-demos, then
#pacman -S kdebase kdebase-workspace phonon-gstreamer
I needed both "kdebase, and kdebase-workspace"  for the Plasma binaries, otherwise it hung as I mentioned above ?

So now, with just the above, I have a running kde minimal install,
I noticed however, at 1st glance, that on the application-lancher/kicker , as I move further right, into the "Applications" menu, that the left-positioned  "<" to get back up to top of menu was missing. ?
Possibly some panel widget of sorts is obviously still missing, but no big deal.

All in all, imho, I don't find too much difference in performance versus the much more FULL, but simpler "pacman -S kde".
For now, i'll just get the whole thing, 'cause it works, and then just fine/trim tune your system after, as mentioned by "gerald82"

Needless to say, it was a fun experiment nonetheless.
smile

Last edited by scjet (2011-08-22 01:45:47)

#6 2011-08-22 15:27:18

venky80

wonder wrote:

it does not work and hangs right at KDM. There have been posts about it and wiki mentions it to be a nvidia issue. I am experiencing the same issue with ATI r600

Acer Aspire V5-573P Antergos KDE

Board footer