You are not logged in.

#1 2011-08-21 23:42:20

binskipy2u
Banned

policykit & power management issues after new install

Before KDE starts, it says "policy kit couldn't be initialized..." It lets me log in, but there are no entries in fstab and dvds/cds wont mount at all.

on a possibly related note. another error comes up, "powermanagement is not installed, or corrupted , a fresh installation may fix this"
when I go to configure power options, there's nothing in the drop lists for "powersave,agressive, etc"

This is a clean install.. pacman -Syu kde xorg xf86-video-ati 
along with all my fav apps..

now Ive searched this forum, noticed a few policy kit threads, but they are not "exactly close" to what I'm saying, and I don't seem to be able to find any relating to a fresh install with the new media

both of those messages and issues, showed up 3x in 3 installs w/different mirrors chosen
so if anyone at all had/has these issues after doing a fresh install with newest media.. did you fix it? what were the steps involved. 
Thanks in advance and not trying to be a smartalec, I hope this is enough of a description to get an answer or some help
btw, Im not in arch right now.so I can not reproduce the errors exactly..

Brad

I named the thread that title, because after 3 installs "BOTH" issues still reared their ugly heads..so I figured one may be related to the other in some way
any additional info just ask, i'll provide what I can, again, not in arch right now..

Last edited by binskipy2u (2011-08-21 23:43:09)

"Sometimes you comfort the afflicted, other times you AFFLICT the COMFORTABLE"

#2 2011-08-22 13:08:01

George

Re: policykit & power management issues after new install

How exactly did you install kde, -meta or package groups? minimal or the full set of packages?

#3 2011-08-22 22:52:21

binskipy2u
Banned

pacman -S kde xorg xf86-video-ati <<-this is what I started with (did I miss something or forget to add something NOT in the kde package group (guessing kde means ALL of kde SC?)

is there a switch, i read the pacman wiki...that installs "all" optional dep w/the main packages you are installing?  So when you are done with one like amarok (it gives you 6 optional packages) instead of doing them pacman -S x,y,z is there a "shortcut" to get all optional dependencies at once?

#4 2011-08-22 23:30:11

George

hmm that looks like it should be ok, pacman will install all dependancies and will list optional dependencies once its finished, afaik there is not an easy way to install all optional packages, how are you starting kde? Are you using kdm or another display manager? Could you try starting kde from .xinitrc (as described on the kde wiki page) to see if that behaves differently. Have you copied you .kde(4) folder over from another distro or are you starting your settings from scratch as well.

#5 2011-08-23 01:09:44

binskipy2u
Banned

Brand new clean install.. all from scratch... never thought of trying it from .xinitrc.
but i do follow the inittab instructions on what to comment and what to uncomment to have a log in w/o startkde etc
unfortunately i am a different distro, it's nice, but once you learn arch and see the speed and stability and up to date packages.... no distro ever feels "right" ever again.
anyway to uninstall policy kit and reinstall it? and does policy kit affect not only the policykit error, and the mounting of cds/dvds, but the power options as well?
thanks for the response.. i just hope to get a handle on this.. its work to get arch the way you want it, hate to do it all, and not see dvds/cds/ or have power managment issues and those 2 errors every start of kde.. know what I mean?

#6 2011-08-23 13:32:42

George

Well I've never seen those errors before, go ahead and try reinstalling policykit (perhaps udisks and upower as well). The xinitrc idea was just to see if you get any other errors that way, not as a permenent solution.
If you carry on getting these problems, I'll try a re-install on my testing laptop to see if the same issues occur there.

#7 2011-08-23 22:24:29

binskipy2u
Banned

it wont happen till the weekend.. I dont have the patience to go through the marathon I go through installing a system while i'm working.. lol i'll never get sleep and call out due to a computer problem that's on my mind, sounds crazy but ive done it before lol
I'll keep you posted and follow your advice George

Board footer