You are not logged in.

#1 2011-08-22 00:55:47

keen90

[solved] firefox dbus error

Hi

I installed firefox for me and it works fine. Now I tried to run it as a dummy user (who's homedir is /tmp/dummy) but when I run firefox as dummy I get:

$ firefox
GConf Error: Failed to contact configuration server; the most common cause is a missing or misconfigured D-Bus session bus daemon. See http://projects.gnome.org/gconf/ for information. (Details -  1: Failed to get connection to session: The connection is closed)

DBUS is running but since I started it as my "normal" user (maex) there might be permission problems?

$ ps -eo user,cmd | grep dbus
maex     /usr/bin/dbus-launch --sh-syntax --exit-with-session
maex     /usr/bin/dbus-daemon --fork --print-pid 5 --print-address 7 --session

Any ideas?

Last edited by keen90 (2011-08-24 18:52:31)

#2 2011-08-24 17:02:33

keen90

Re: [solved] firefox dbus error

I really need help here.

First of all I don't  understand why firefox is even complaining about dbus. It has nothing to do with it.
Is it because the dbus is launched by my standard user? This happens as a consequence of the login. Slim launches XFCE, XFCE launches dbus. How du you start your dbus? Which parameters do you use. Is there a parameter which makes it user indepenent?

Thanks in advance!

Keen

Last edited by keen90 (2011-08-24 18:46:20)

#3 2011-08-24 18:08:48

alphaniner

keen90 wrote:

First of all I don't understand why firefox is even complaining about dbus. It has nothing to do with it.

Well, firefox requires dbus-glib, so there must be a reason for that.

The dbus-launch manpage says that it starts dbus-daemon. Maybe you could just try running as dummy

/usr/bin/dbus-launch --sh-syntax --exit-with-session

or something.

Alternately, the manpage says

You may specify a program to be run;

so maybe look into that.

But whether the Constitution really be one thing, or another, this much is certain - that it has either authorized such a government as we have had, or has been powerless to prevent it. In either case, it is unfit to exist.
-Lysander Spooner

#4 2011-08-24 18:44:37

keen90

I tried launching DBUS as dummy. I can launch dbus, but it oes not affect my firefox porblem, I still get the same error.

[dummy@celadon ~]$ /usr/bin/dbus-launch --sh-syntax --exit-with-session
DBUS_SESSION_BUS_ADDRESS='unix:abstract=/tmp/dbus-Wkj8BHjAJ6,guid=c07a7434ef3e0589b33d20820000042a';
export DBUS_SESSION_BUS_ADDRESS;
DBUS_SESSION_BUS_PID=1322;
DBUS_SESSION_BUS_WINDOWID=37748737;
[dummy@celadon ~]$ firefox
failed to create drawable
GConf Error: Failed to contact configuration server; the most common cause is a missing or misconfigured D-Bus session bus daemon. See http://projects.gnome.org/gconf/ for information. (Details -  1: Failed to get connection to session: The connection is closed)
g_dbus_connection_real_closed: Remote peer vanished with error: Underlying GIOStream returned 0 bytes on an async read (g-io-error-quark, 0). Exiting.
Terminated

Oh and xhost + is set, so firefox has the permissions to open a window on my screen.

I did not quite understand your second point. Are you refering to the dbus manpage? Do you mean you can tell DBUS to start a program? Hope you dont mind to explain again.

Anaway thank you very much so far!

#5 2011-08-24 18:49:54

keen90

Oh got it...

and it works

$dbus-launch firefox

Board footer