You are not logged in.

#1 2011-08-23 02:45:51

pivotraze

WICD can't hold wireless connection?

Everytime I install WICD it won't hold the connection when I connect to my wireless. What should I use instead? I know about NetworkManager, and NetworkManager Applet would it do any better? What about wpagui? What would be best in my situation smile Or maybe help me troubleshoot WICD? haha. My connection is PERFECT with wpa_supplicant and dhcpcd haha

#2 2011-08-23 04:28:56

fsckd
Forum Fellow

Re: WICD can't hold wireless connection?

I'm sure you can give us more information than that. smile Any error messages, logs, strange output? How are you configuring it? Etc., etc.

aur S & M :: forum rules :: Community Ethos
Resources for Women, POC, LGBT*, and allies

#3 2011-08-23 23:44:23

pivotraze

Well, I don't really know. I start WICD through GUI and click "Connect" on my network and then it connects for like 10s and then disconnects and reconnects. I have done these things to try out.

First time I installed it I tried following the wiki. So I ran:
rc.d stop network - (It stopped successfully)
rc.d stop dhcpcd -  (Got ":: Error: Daemon script dhcpcd does not exist.")
rc.d stop networkmanager - (Got ":: Error: Daemon script dhcpcd does not exist.")
Then:
rc.d start wicd - (It started successfully)
rc.d start dbus (Already started is reported)

Then I looked over at WICD... .and it said no wireless networks. So I forced a rescan.. . still no wireless networks. I ran "ifconfig wlan0 up" and then it found 2 networks.

I connected to mine after setting up the password. It connects successfully and I can run ping -c 3 www.google.com and get feedback. But then it will say it is no longer connected and it tries to reconnect and is able to but I can not run ping -c 3 www.google.com (for some reason, this also happens if I shut my laptop or Gnome locks. I can not reconnect after that and I have to restart Arch. Wireless card is the Realtek rtl8187)

Second time, I left network enabled and enabled WICD and it still worked fine, in fact better, but still disconnected shortly after connection.
Finally, I left the WICD disabled and just run wpa_supplicant on start.

I am using netcfg right now and it seems to work perfectly apart from two things:
I get "error: "net.ipv6.conf.wlan0.accept_ra" is an unknown key" after it runs ": : Home Up"
I put net-profiles in my rc.conf and then... oopsie smile I didn't uncomment "NETWORKS=(main)" and change main to Home. Now it might autoconnect on start! Lets hope it does haha

Sorry for a little vague on information, I can try to get more if you want me to. Just let me know what to do.

Also, this might be an appropriate place to ask... Why does all linux operating systems only detect two networks lately when they used to detect as many as windows (about 10 where I'm living)

Finally, where do I put the PRE_UP, and POST_UP things? https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Ne … _up.2Fdown

Last edited by pivotraze (2011-08-23 23:54:20)

#4 2011-08-24 08:20:42

twix

I have the same problem, with an ath5k card on my NB100 Toshiba netbook. I will try to use netcfg and tell you whether it works or not

#5 2011-08-24 21:41:51

pivotraze

@twix: It works perfectly for me, and I'm loving how quickly it will connect on startup. I have it connect to my home network (and soon my school network) as soon as my comp starts up. It's a beauty to behold.

Board footer