You are not logged in.

#1 2011-08-23 15:54:27

martinnj

Dropbox GUI not starting

Hey..!

I have a strange issue with my dropbox (and dropbox experimental, same bug)
For some reason the GUI won't fire up.
if i run dropboxd in a terminal it just starts and spawns 4 processes (seen from htop)
so i gues it works, but the notification icon doesn't show up.
I tried following the workarounds from forum and the dropbox archwikipage, but to no avail.

Anyone got some tips?

I run Arch 3, x86_64. I use xfce4 but with awesome3 as window manager.

Regards
Martin

#2 2011-09-26 13:51:16

krnekhelesh

Re: Dropbox GUI not starting

I have the same problem. dropboxd is running as a process however I do not see a notification icon. I am using Gnome 3 (Gnome shell) x86.

#3 2011-09-26 13:57:18

martinnj

krnekhelesh wrote:

I have the same problem. dropboxd is running as a process however I do not see a notification icon. I am using Gnome 3 (Gnome shell) x86.

I don't know if this helps you:
The error i got was that the lcoale wasn't set correctly... It's silly, but i caused the icon to disappear. (I repproduced the error to be sure.)
It might help you...

If it still doesn't it's possible to get control over the daemon using "dropbox-cli" which is an AUR package, (http://aur.archlinux.org/packages.php?ID=34310)

#4 2011-09-26 17:30:18

krnekhelesh

martinnj wrote:
krnekhelesh wrote:

I don't know if this helps you:
The error i got was that the lcoale wasn't set correctly... It's silly, but i caused the icon to disappear. (I repproduced the error to be sure.)
It might help you...

If it still doesn't it's possible to get control over the daemon using "dropbox-cli" which is an AUR package, (http://aur.archlinux.org/packages.php?ID=34310)

Actually my bug is hard to debug. Dropbox starts on login automatically as I can see it in the process as dropboxd. I kill that process and then start dropboxd through the terminal in which case I do not get any error messages or any messages. The terminal just stays blank. But the dropbox GUI does not appear and I have no idea how to start it in any other way.

But otherwise dropbox is syncing my folders and everything else is fine. Its just the dropbox GUI and dropbox notification icon.

#5 2011-09-26 17:37:01

martinnj

krnekhelesh wrote:

Actually my bug is hard to debug. Dropbox starts on login automatically as I can see it in the process as dropboxd. I kill that process and then start dropboxd through the terminal in which case I do not get any error messages or any messages. The terminal just stays blank. But the dropbox GUI does not appear and I have no idea how to start it in any other way.

But otherwise dropbox is syncing my folders and everything else is fine. Its just the dropbox GUI and dropbox notification icon.

I didn't get an error, i just found out, when i corrected the locale to utf-8 it all worked...

#6 2011-09-26 19:21:54

krnekhelesh

Can you tell me how you changed the locale to utf-8? When I try connecting using netcfg I get these locale errors..but it connects to the internet. So I ignored the messages. That could be be dropbox bug as well. The errors I get for netcfg are

/etc/rc.d/functions: line 67: warning: setlocale: LC_CTYPE: cannot change locale (en_US.utf8): No such file or directory
/etc/rc.d/functions: line 67: warning: setlocale: LC_NUMERIC: cannot change locale (en_US.utf8): No such file or directory
/etc/rc.d/functions: line 67: warning: setlocale: LC_TIME: cannot change locale (en_US.utf8): No such file or directory
/etc/rc.d/functions: line 67: warning: setlocale: LC_COLLATE: cannot change locale (en_US.utf8): No such file or directory
/etc/rc.d/functions: line 67: warning: setlocale: LC_MESSAGES: cannot change locale (en_US.utf8): No such file or directory

Last edited by krnekhelesh (2011-09-26 19:27:13)

#7 2011-09-26 19:31:29

krnekhelesh

Dude never mind I fixed it. I can confirm that it was the locale problem. When I typed

locale -a

it gave me the same error as netcfg that no such file or directory and cannot change locale. So I did

sudo locale-gen

, it rebuilt it and then now dropbox works!

#8 2011-09-26 21:08:26

martinnj

Awesome!

Now we just need to figure out if it's the AUR version thats broken, or actually dropbox itself..

Board footer