You are not logged in.

#1 2011-08-24 18:07:02

MatejLach
Website

[SOLVED] User un-mounting - not root, not even in file system table

Now, I am confused, because I was in that this rule is the solution for functional user unmounting of external devices, but when I am trying to unmount my USB this error will come up:

umount: <DEVICE> is not in the fstab (and you are not root)

I do not underestand, because my device label is changing with every dif. device (or I am missing the point somewhere?) and yes I am not root, that is why I set my rule.
I do have pmount installed.

Do I need to change premissions anywhere?

Last edited by MatejLach (2011-08-26 02:31:25)

#2 2011-08-25 08:47:47

FarmerF

Re: [SOLVED] User un-mounting - not root, not even in file system table

A device _can_ have a label, this is an assigned name and does not change unless you change it. If you did not assign one, chance is that it is mounted with its UUID instead of a label. If you see a lot of random stuff then its a UUID and the rule will not work smile  Every device _can_ have a label but they are not guaranteed to be unique and might be different for every device or the same for all, remember that its the name you chose for it.

#3 2011-08-26 02:30:52

MatejLach
Website

Re: [SOLVED] User un-mounting - not root, not even in file system table

FarmerF wrote:

A device _can_ have a label, this is an assigned name and does not change unless you change it. If you did not assign one, chance is that it is mounted with its UUID instead of a label. If you see a lot of random stuff then its a UUID and the rule will not work smile  Every device _can_ have a label but they are not guaranteed to be unique and might be different for every device or the same for all, remember that its the name you chose for it.

That was helpful.
Thank you.

Board footer