You are not logged in.

#1 2011-08-25 16:26:49

ichase

[SOLVED] Strange wifi module issue

Greetings all,
Having an issue in regards to wifi that has gotten me stumped.  This is on 2 Arch linux builds both updated to linux 3.0.3-1.
When I updated to linux 3.0.2 is when I first started seeing problems. 
1st computer is a laptop with an Alpha 1000mW 802.11g model AWUS036H chipset rtl8187.  Have been using this with no problem what so ever for months.  Then out of the blue, wicd would not connect stating “Bad Password” checked my modules and alas the rtl8187 module that has been there for months is gone.  Hooked up another wireless dongle an Alfa 2000mW 802.11n model AWUS036NH which uses a ralink 3070 chipset and all was well again.

The desktop then started having similar issues.  I run my updates before starting X.  Could not do updates because my connection was garbage.  Ping showed a 59% packet loss.  Now, when I started X and attempted updates at the terminal they downloaded lickety split.  Ping showed only 7% packet loss.  Went back out of X and still sitting at 58% packet loss???

I then decided to try using netcfg which I already had set up but turned off and I could not get a wireless signal due to wpa_authentication failing.  I then tried with wicd again and I get “Bad Password”  Yes, I have my wpa_supplicant.conf properly set up and made the appropriate changes between the two of them in my rc.conf so I was not trying to run one while the other was still active.

The desktop has an internal wifi card with a realtek 8185 chipset.  When I check the desktop, rtl8185 no longer shows as an available module?

So somehow or another I lost 2 separate modules on 2 separate computers.  I have not seen where anyone else is having this problem so the conclusion would be that I did something wrong.  But I have not done anything to either builds except for performing my normal updates.

Thank you in advance for any and all guidance.

Ian

Last edited by ichase (2011-08-28 13:30:47)

#2 2011-08-26 20:15:30

pigiron

Re: [SOLVED] Strange wifi module issue

First of all, these are only a guesses on my part.

Second, you've brought up many problems. So let's try to split them up some...

1st computer is a laptop with an Alpha 1000mW 802.11g model AWUS036H chipset rtl8187.  Have been using this with no problem what so ever for months.  Then out of the blue, wicd would not connect stating “Bad Password” checked my modules and alas the rtl8187 module that has been there for months is gone.  Hooked up another wireless dongle an Alfa 2000mW 802.11n model AWUS036NH which uses a ralink 3070 chipset and all was well again.

There's been much recent activity on the rtl8187 front. Both in the "main" kernel drivers, and the "Staging" drivers. Since Arch builds (and ships) the "Staging" drivers, I'm wondering if there isn't some sort of "collision" between them for your device... this happened to me in the recent past with RT2870 adapter.

Next, words like "Alfa 2000mW 802.11n model AWUS036NH" and even "rtl8187" are almost worthless (but not totally). Wireless manufacturers have been known (many, many times) to change the chips, but not the model numbers... and there's now many flavors of the "rtl8187" chip.

One of the better wireless designations is to grab the "VendorID:DeviceID" for your device. Because it's these numbers (among other things) that Linux uses to find the correct driver. Run "lsusb" and look for the 9 characters following the keyword "ID".

For example, my USB wireless shows up as:

Bus 001 Device 003: ID 148f:2870 Ralink Technology, Corp. RT2870 Wireless Adapter

So it's VendorID is "148f" and it's DeviceID is "2870".

For a PCI device, run "lspci -nn", and look for the [XXXX:YYYY] near the end of the line.

Now, head on over to the linux wireless web page:

http://linuxwireless.org

and drill down until you find the page containing your particular "VendorID:DeviceID". This will (hopefully) tell you the latest news about your driver... or not wink If that doesn't help, then try out your google-fu using those numbers. If still no luck, then try here again... maybe someone will have better ideas than mine.

The desktop has an internal wifi card with a realtek 8185 chipset.  When I check the desktop, rtl8185 no longer shows as an available module?

Rinse and repeat on the above suggestion.

The desktop then started having similar issues.  I run my updates before starting X.  Could not do updates because my connection was garbage.  Ping showed a 59% packet loss.  Now, when I started X and attempted updates at the terminal they downloaded lickety split.  Ping showed only 7% packet loss.  Went back out of X and still sitting at 58% packet loss???

I don't see how on earth this can happen. I'm not saying it didn't, but I don't know of any connection between the Linux wireless world and X... you've got gremlins.

I then decided to try using netcfg which I already had set up but turned off and I could not get a wireless signal due to wpa_authentication failing.  I then tried with wicd again and I get "Bad Password"  Yes, I have my wpa_supplicant.conf properly set up and made the appropriate changes between the two of them in my rc.conf so I was not trying to run one while the other was still active.

If you really configured everything correctly, then I'd pull out wireshark to see if that provides a clue. I've been desperate enough in this situation to run wpa_supplicant, ifconfig, iwconfig, and route by hand (with much help from the man pages)... and it helped me figure out my problem.

(Edited to add:)

Also check your logs (dmesg, /var/log/*)...it's the first place I run in times of trouble.

Last edited by pigiron (2011-08-26 20:37:30)

#3 2011-08-28 13:30:14

ichase

Re: [SOLVED] Strange wifi module issue

pigiron - Sorry for the long delay in responding.  I live in Virginia Beach and we were gearing up for a Hurricane.  2nd and most important, I want to thank you for taking the time to put this long reply together on my behalf.

I checked the linuxwireless web page but no news in regards to either one of my vendor ID:device ID.  (Bookmarked that page for future reference)

Here is what I have done up to this point.  I connected the USB wireless dongle (rtl8187) to the desktop.  I noticed there was a pacnew wpa_supplicant.conf file.  Figured something must have changed.  So I configured the new wpa_supplicant.conf 1st trying with the internal wireless with no luck.  Still showing wpa authentication failed even though I know the passkey is correct.  I then tried with the USB wireless dongle and was able to get it up and running with only changing wlan0 to wlan1 in both my wpa_supplicant.conf and my net-profiles under /etc/network.d/MySSID
Alas, I am back up and running on my desktop.  But still plan on doing more research as to why the internal wifi card no longer seems to work.

I don't see how on earth this can happen. I'm not saying it didn't, but I don't know of any connection between the Linux wireless world and X... you've got gremlins.

I'm right there with you my friend.  I was as stumped as you were.  smile

So for now all is well in the fact that I have both the desktop and laptop up and running with wireless.  I guess I can go ahead and mark this post as solved.

Thanks again pigiron.  I really do appreciate your assistance.

All the best,

Ian

Board footer