You are not logged in.

#1 2011-08-26 00:06:05

throdon

Rooted pcmanfm = no icons

I am kinda new to arch and don't know if this is a permissions problem or something else. I will paraphrase my arch install.

step1 using the new i686 iso i only installed base and base-devel
step2 rebooted added all the nessecities like xorg and openbox to get to a graphical browser
step3 added lxde meta
step4 added kde meta

my problem is when i have to elevate pcmanfm to root using gksu It goes to root but I can't figure out a way to get it to use the icons for files and folders.

Thanks in advance

#2 2011-08-26 00:30:02

Meyithi
Website

Re: Rooted pcmanfm = no icons

IMO it should be ugly and unbearable because you don't really want to be using a file manager as root.

To answer your question though, you'd have to set up the theme/icons for your root account, which means copying the theme info to /root which is probably .gtkrc-2.0 and that may not work if you installed your icons and themes locally (in .themes and .icons).

It's still a bad idea though, it's ugly and should look ugly.

The mind roams more freely in empty rooms.
dwm - colours - ncmpcpp - system
irc://irc.freenode.net:meyithi

#3 2011-08-26 02:31:17

throdon

ok I understand the whole do not root things that are unnessesary but how do you do this with out elevating to root?
My enitre linux experience has taken care of this problem wether it was installed or a live medium. So please forgive my ignorance to the subject at hand.

If someone could point me to what subject this would cover such as permissions that would be extreamly helpful.

#4 2011-08-26 02:53:51

Meyithi
Website

Ideally, use a terminal, coreutils and sudo.

Running a file manager as root causes problems such as creating/editing/appending/moving files that your user then can't edit, access or remove, even simple stuff like deleting files then clog up .trash because the user account can't clear them.  This then leads to having to spend more time in the file manager as root to clean up the mess of using a file manager as root, this is why it's ugly.

But hey, it's your box and your rules.

The mind roams more freely in empty rooms.
dwm - colours - ncmpcpp - system
irc://irc.freenode.net:meyithi

Board footer