You are not logged in.

#2626 2014-08-29 06:47:05

horsemanoffaith

Re: Progress on Unity under Arch Linux!

I got Unity installed and working on my SSD tonight by using wget and downloading libgee06 from the AUR, then installing it before installing Unity. It wasn't all that pretty, but it did work... and HOLY COW.... SSD boot time to log-in screen- 6... yes I said 6!!!! seconds!

Last edited by horsemanoffaith (2014-08-29 06:47:31)

#2627 2014-08-29 17:44:39

w-flo

libgee06 was removed from [extra] 3 days ago sad

Google tells me that libgee 1.0 aka "libgee06" (for whatever reason it is also called libgee 0.6 at the same time…) is the old libgee version.

The *new* libgee version is… yeah, it's 0.8. Even though that looks smaller than 1.0. But it is also called libgee 0.10 or 0.12 and probably 0.14 in the future.

So the problem is that unity still needs the old libgee 1.0 (aka 0.6), but according to this, maybe they want to move to the new libgee 0.8 or get rid of libgee entirely:
https://bugs.launchpad.net/libunity/+bug/1274278

So we either get it from the AUR or maybe chenxialong can add libgee to the rich assortment of PKGBUILDs he builds and provides binary packages for. big_smile For now, I'm just keeping the old [extra] libgee06 that is still installed on my system.

Edit: Oh wait, that libunity bug I linked is already fixed. So there are still other parts of unity that need the old libgee.

Last edited by w-flo (2014-08-29 17:47:40)

#2628 2014-09-02 04:58:38

horsemanoffaith

w-flo wrote:

libgee06 was removed from [extra] 3 days ago sad

Google tells me that libgee 1.0 aka "libgee06" (for whatever reason it is also called libgee 0.6 at the same time…) is the old libgee version.

The *new* libgee version is… yeah, it's 0.8. Even though that looks smaller than 1.0. But it is also called libgee 0.10 or 0.12 and probably 0.14 in the future.

So the problem is that unity still needs the old libgee 1.0 (aka 0.6), but according to this, maybe they want to move to the new libgee 0.8 or get rid of libgee entirely:
https://bugs.launchpad.net/libunity/+bug/1274278

So we either get it from the AUR or maybe chenxialong can add libgee to the rich assortment of PKGBUILDs he builds and provides binary packages for. big_smile For now, I'm just keeping the old [extra] libgee06 that is still installed on my system.

Edit: Oh wait, that libunity bug I linked is already fixed. So there are still other parts of unity that need the old libgee.

I'm hoping so, w-flo. I was having all kinds of trouble with installing Unity, until I figured out that I forgot to uncomment the multi-lib repository in /etc/pacman.conf. Once I figured out that slip of the brain, libgee06 wasn't so hard. I almost always install Unity when doing a fresh install of Arch, so it's no fun when you find that a needed package was removed from the repositories!!!

#2629 2014-09-08 19:41:11

okto

Just realized I didn't ask about this one yet: Nautilus, gnome-calculator, and gedit (possibly other GNOME apps) aren't taking the Compiz Unity theme or window decorations, and don't cast alpha shadows (all other windows do). Any ideas on this?

Brasero, for contrast:

-- mod edit: read the Forum Etiquette and only post thumbnails http://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/For … s_and_Code [jwr] --

#2630 2014-09-08 19:45:16

sollidsnake

okto wrote:

Just realized I didn't ask about this one yet: Nautilus, gnome-calculator, and gedit (possibly other GNOME apps) aren't taking the Compiz Unity theme or window decorations, and don't cast alpha shadows (all other windows do). Any ideas on this?

That's becuase ubuntu patches those programs to use compiz unity. To get that on arch, you'll have to download the ubuntu's patched version and build and install them yourself. I've already created PKGBUILDs for gedit and a few others. If you want them just let me know

Last edited by sollidsnake (2014-09-08 19:46:58)

Non serviam

#2631 2014-09-16 21:13:08

horsemanoffaith

Still no status on libgee06? I did another fresh install today and it's still not in the Unity-for-Arch repos. Will that be added, Chen?

#2632 2014-09-18 18:01:13

okto

sollidsnake wrote:

That's becuase ubuntu patches those programs to use compiz unity.

I'm running compiz-ubuntu from the Utopic unofficial repo on Dropbox, is that not the right one?

#2633 2014-09-18 22:20:24

sollidsnake

okto wrote:
sollidsnake wrote:

That's becuase ubuntu patches those programs to use compiz unity.

I'm running compiz-ubuntu from the Utopic unofficial repo on Dropbox, is that not the right one?

You need patches for the programs individually. To have the gedit look you want, for example, you will need the gedit ubuntu patches. Here's a PKGBUILD for gedit I wrote that downloads and builds the ubuntu's patched version:

_pkgbasename=gedit
pkgname=$_pkgbasename-ubuntu
pkgver=3.10.4
pkgrel=1
pkgdesc="A text editor for GNOME"
arch=(i686 x86_64)
license=(GPL)
depends=(gtksourceview3 gsettings-desktop-schemas libpeas enchant iso-codes desktop-file-utils python-gobject dconf)
replaces=('gedit')
makedepends=(yelp-tools intltool zeitgeist vala)
optdepends=('zeitgeist: Zeitgeist plugin')
groups=(gnome-extra)
options=('!emptydirs')
url="http://www.gnome.org"
install=gedit.install
source=(http://archive.ubuntu.com/ubuntu/pool/main/g/gedit/gedit_3.10.4.orig.tar.xz)
sha256sums=('40dc10b6e26fd8523087e7321a20a063f4c1e586dffd7ce8ee78eead11359f9e')

build() {
  cd $_pkgbasename-$pkgver
  ./configure --prefix=/usr \
      --sysconfdir=/etc --localstatedir=/var \
      --libexecdir=/usr/lib --disable-updater --disable-schemas-compile \
      --enable-python
  make
}

package(){
  cd $_pkgbasename-$pkgver
  make DESTDIR="$pkgdir" install
}

Non serviam

#2634 2014-09-23 20:09:13

PureTryOut

As a newbie to Arch, how can I use your PKGBUILD sollid?
Since Gedit is installed using pacman, I have no option to edit the PKGBUILD.
Also, if you have PKGBUILDS for those other programs, could you post them too?

#2635 2014-09-23 20:22:25

sollidsnake

PureTryOut wrote:

As a newbie to Arch, how can I use your PKGBUILD sollid?
Since Gedit is installed using pacman, I have no option to edit the PKGBUILD.
Also, if you have PKGBUILDS for those other programs, could you post them too?

To use a PKGBUILD, create a directory with any desired name (in this case, 'gedit-ubuntu' would be appropriate), and inside the directory create a file named PKGBUILD with the content I provided above. Then, in the terminal, cd into the directory with the PKGBUILD and run 'makepkg -si'. I recommend reading the arch build system to understand better what's happening, so you'll be able to better face possible issues that might come up.
https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Arch_Build_System

As for the PKGBUILD's of the other packages, I'll create a github repo with them and share it here, when I have the time.

Non serviam

#2636 2014-09-23 21:23:36

PureTryOut

Thanks for the link! That will help me a lot.
I mianaged to succesfully build and install Gedit with the Ubuntu patches, and it is working fine now! Thanks again!

#2637 2014-09-23 21:27:10

okto

Thanks for the help, solidsnake. I'd love to get any other PKGBUILDs you have for the other apps that need to be patched (nautilus, gnome-calculator, etc).

EDIT: ran 'makepkg -si' in a directory containing your PKGBUILD, and it says '==> ERROR: install file (gedit.install) does not exist.'

Last edited by okto (2014-09-23 21:38:41)

#2638 2014-09-24 02:31:20

sollidsnake

okto wrote:

Thanks for the help, solidsnake. I'd love to get any other PKGBUILDs you have for the other apps that need to be patched (nautilus, gnome-calculator, etc).

EDIT: ran 'makepkg -si' in a directory containing your PKGBUILD, and it says '==> ERROR: install file (gedit.install) does not exist.'

Ops, my mistake. It seems I forgot to provide the .install file. I'll create the repository and share it here in a few minutes smile

Non serviam

#2639 2014-09-24 15:06:31

sollidsnake

Here it's. Try cloning the repository and building gedit now:
https://github.com/sollidsnake/archbuilds

Non serviam

#2640 2014-10-01 06:41:13

chenxiaolong

I kinda screwed up the Dropbox repo when I did the GNOME 3.12 merge, which left a lot of stuff broken (like the missing libgee06 and the broken network-manager-applet-ubuntu package). I will be doing a full rebuild once GNOME 3.14 lands in [extra] smile

EDIT: For right now, I recommend compiling from source instead of using the binary repos.

Last edited by chenxiaolong (2014-10-01 06:42:36)

#2641 2014-10-01 06:46:31

chenxiaolong

Also, the Unity port for GNOME 3.14 is done smile Most things are working fine, though there are a few small kinks to work out (like the Unity launcher opens gnome-control-center instead of unity-control-center).

The bad news is that the default Ambiance and Radiance themes look absolutely horrid with the GNOME 3.14 components. It's nothing a theme can't fix though.

0lAfHnFs.jpg

N6nsdVas.jpg

npGN8xWs.jpg

#2642 2014-10-02 03:46:50

LouisDK

All the packages in your git repo works fine except gnome-terminal which refuses to start.

I guess the reason why apps like Nautilus doesn't support the Unity native title bar is because special patching are needed?

I've played around with MATE apps and Unity for Arch and they work pretty well together. Most apps support the app menu and title bars and have similar features to the GNOME 3 backported once.   Porting the Unity Shell to MATE could be a nice thing since they work well together and MATE will not make rapid changes and remove features like GNOME 3 do

I've also played around the file managers in Unity for Arch, and Nemo (from Cinnamon) is behaving quite strange while Caja (MATE File Manager) works okay.

#2643 2014-10-05 21:22:38

bzpnbx

Guys, is there any consensus on if Unofficial or AUR is the better option to pull from?

#2644 2014-10-09 03:47:38

horsemanoffaith

chenxiaolong wrote:

I kinda screwed up the Dropbox repo when I did the GNOME 3.12 merge, which left a lot of stuff broken (like the missing libgee06 and the broken network-manager-applet-ubuntu package). I will be doing a full rebuild once GNOME 3.14 lands in [extra] smile

EDIT: For right now, I recommend compiling from source instead of using the binary repos.

Chen, I just re-installed Unity-for-Arch from your repos (I broke my old install somehow when I was working on my Linux From Scratch install), and network-manager-applet-ubuntu seems to be working fine for me. I just built libgee06 from the AUR using wget, and the install went smooth as silk... seems to me that everything is working fine.

#2645 2014-10-10 13:26:28

Silkworm205

I'm having a slight issue. Lightdm unity isn't loading user wallpapers specified through unity-control-centre. Everything else works, a custom default wallpaper, no grey blobby grid, etc. Anyone have any advice? I placed the wallpapers I'm using in /usr/share/backgrounds, and ran

chown --recursive --reference=/usr/share/backgrounds/warty-final-ubuntu.png /usr/share/backgrounds

I think I messed it up by running unity-settings-daemon in a Mate session so that I could change the wallpaper without swapping to Unity. It worked, but then I left the daemon running as I launched lightdm --test-mode and it didn't recognise changes anymore.

EDIT:
Today an update to protobuf got released, changing the local file from libprotobuf.so.8 to libprotobuf.so.9 which stopped me launching ccsm, and from using some plugins that were already enabled. I downgraded from 2.6.0-2 to 2.5.0-4 to fix it.

Last edited by Silkworm205 (2014-10-11 03:29:56)

I think I know enough to know I don't know enough.

#2646 2014-10-12 11:35:24

tydell
Website

chenxiaolong wrote:

... The bad news is that the default Ambiance and Radiance themes look absolutely horrid with the GNOME 3.14 components. It's nothing a theme can't fix though. ...

Must agree with that. That's why I use numix theme with unity, it looks exactly as it should.

Unfortunately there is a new problem with unity. 2 or 3 days ago there was an upgrade of protobuf package. After that I had problem with unity, it doesn't start through lightdm and I had black screen instead of normal desktop. Unity only started with startx and .xinitrc. Then I saw that I can't use ccsm or some other unity/compiz stuff.

ImportError: libprotobuf.so.8 no such file or directory 

So unity should be recompiled with new protobuf package.

#2647 2014-10-12 19:41:29

Silkworm205

tydell wrote:

Unfortunately there is a new problem with unity. 2 or 3 days ago there was an upgrade of protobuf package. After that I had problem with unity, it doesn't start through lightdm and I had black screen instead of normal desktop. Unity only started with startx and .xinitrc. Then I saw that I can't use ccsm or some other unity/compiz stuff.

ImportError: libprotobuf.so.8 no such file or directory 

So unity should be recompiled with new protobuf package.

Yeah, hopefully most people will have the old version cached on their /var/cache/pacman/pkg directories. Otherwise I couldn't find an AUR package and had to compile and install it manually from here.
For anyone who needs guidance, download the 2.5.0.tar.gz archive, extract it, and follow the readme file. It installs to /usr/local/lib though, and ccsm looks for it in /usr/lib so manual intervention after installing will be needed. Remember to uninstall 2.6 using pacman first though.

Besides that I'm having difficulty now with Compiz, as well as the lightdm user wallpaper. Primarily, on login compiz fails to read .png files in the wallpaper plugin, and forgets custom keybinds. (Such as right clicking the screen edges to move to the adjacent workspace). The worst part though is that enabling the static application switcher causes it to reset to the default Unity settings.

Secondly, the unity-settings-daemon gives this error when specifying a wallpaper:

** (unity-settings-daemon:1569): WARNING **: Failed to set the background '/usr/share/backgrounds/RadioactiveSunrise.jpg': GDBus.Error:org.freedesktop.DBus.Error.UnknownMethod: No such method 'SetBackgroundFile'

EDIT:
Nevermind the wallpaper issue. I didn't put the Unity repo before community in pacman.conf. Did that, updated, relogged in, and it worked. Now just the compiz issue... Guess I'll give the gnome 3.14 repo a go and play around with that.

EDIT 2:
I couldn't get the Gnome314 repo to install. Is there a specific method to use the testing repo?

Last edited by Silkworm205 (2014-10-12 21:50:11)

#2648 2014-10-15 17:41:54

ryanvade

Unity refuses to start for me anyomore:

unity --verbose --replace
unity-panel-service: no process found
compiz (core) - Info: Loading plugin: core
compiz (core) - Debug: Trying to load core from: /home/ryanvade/.compiz-1/plugins/libcore.so
compiz (core) - Debug: dlopen failed: /home/ryanvade/.compiz-1/plugins/libcore.so: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory
compiz (core) - Debug: Trying to load core from: /usr/lib/compiz/libcore.so
compiz (core) - Debug: dlopen failed: /usr/lib/compiz/libcore.so: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory
compiz (core) - Info: Starting plugin: core
compiz (core) - Debug: Started plugin: core
compiz (core) - Debug: pending request:
compiz (core) - Debug: - event serial: 898
compiz (core) - Debug: - event window 0xe00011
compiz (core) - Debug: - x: 0 y: 0 width: 0 height: 0 border: 0, sibling: 0x0
compiz (core) - Debug: pending request:
compiz (core) - Debug: - event serial: 962
compiz (core) - Debug: - event window 0xe00014                                                                                                                                                  
compiz (core) - Debug: - x: 0 y: 0 width: 1366 height: 768 border: 0, sibling: 0xe00011                                                                                                         
compiz (core) - Info: Loading plugin: ccp                                                                                                                                                       
compiz (core) - Debug: Trying to load ccp from: /home/ryanvade/.compiz-1/plugins/libccp.so                                                                                                      
compiz (core) - Debug: dlopen failed: /home/ryanvade/.compiz-1/plugins/libccp.so: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory                                                     
compiz (core) - Debug: Trying to load ccp from: /usr/lib/compiz/libccp.so                                                                                                                       
compiz (core) - Debug: dlopen failed: libprotobuf.so.8: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory                                                                               
compiz (core) - Debug: Trying to load ccp from: libccp.so                                                                                                                                       
compiz (core) - Debug: dlopen failed: libccp.so: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory                                                                                      
compiz (core) - Error: Failed to load plugin: ccp                                                                                                                                               
compiz (core) - Debug: refusing to manage window 0xe00011                                                                                                                                       
compiz (core) - Debug: received event:
compiz (core) - Debug: - event serial: 898
compiz (core) - Debug: - event window 0xe00011
compiz (core) - Debug: - x: 0 y: 0 width: 0 height: 0 border: 0, sibling: 0x0
compiz (core) - Debug: refusing to manage window 0xe00014
compiz (core) - Debug: received event:
compiz (core) - Debug: - event serial: 962
compiz (core) - Debug: - event window 0xe00014
compiz (core) - Debug: - x: 0 y: 0 width: 1366 height: 768 border: 0, sibling: 0xe00011

*EDIT fresh installation of Arch with the same result.

Last edited by ryanvade (2014-10-15 17:53:25)

#2649 2014-10-17 08:09:54

Silkworm205

I can't launch Unity Tweak anymore. I get this wall of text in a console when I try to launch it:

[silkworm205@hayo ~]$ unity-tweak-tool 
/usr/lib/python3.4/site-packages/UnityTweakTool/__init__.py:105: Warning: The property GtkImageMenuItem:use-stock is deprecated and shouldn't be used anymore. It will be removed in a future version.
  self.builder.add_from_file(self.ui)
/usr/lib/python3.4/site-packages/UnityTweakTool/__init__.py:105: Warning: The property GtkImageMenuItem:image is deprecated and shouldn't be used anymore. It will be removed in a future version.
/usr/lib/python3.4/site-packages/UnityTweakTool/__init__.py:105: Warning: The property GtkSettings:gtk-menu-images is deprecated and shouldn't be used anymore. It will be removed in a future version.
/usr/lib/python3.4/site-packages/UnityTweakTool/__init__.py:105: Warning: The property GtkWidget:margin-left is deprecated and shouldn't be used anymore. It will be removed in a future version.
/usr/lib/python3.4/site-packages/gi/overrides/__init__.py:175: Warning: The property GSettings:schema is deprecated and shouldn't be used anymore. It will be removed in a future version.
  return super_init_func(self, **new_kwargs)
/usr/lib/python3.4/site-packages/UnityTweakTool/section/skeletonpage.py:42: Warning: The property GtkButton:xalign is deprecated and shouldn't be used anymore. It will be removed in a future version.
/usr/lib/python3.4/site-packages/UnityTweakTool/section/skeletonpage.py:42: Warning: The property GtkWidget:margin-right is deprecated and shouldn't be used anymore. It will be removed in a future version.
Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "/usr/bin/unity-tweak-tool", line 72, in <module>
    UnityTweakTool.Application()
  File "/usr/lib/python3.4/site-packages/UnityTweakTool/__init__.py", line 98, in __init__
    self.run(pageid)
  File "/usr/lib/python3.4/site-packages/UnityTweakTool/__init__.py", line 107, in run
    self.connectpages()
  File "/usr/lib/python3.4/site-packages/UnityTweakTool/__init__.py", line 121, in connectpages
    from UnityTweakTool.section.windowmanager import WindowManager
  File "/usr/lib/python3.4/site-packages/UnityTweakTool/section/windowmanager.py", line 312, in <module>
    wmsettings=HandlerObject(SpaghettiCompizSettings(WindowManager.builder))
  File "/usr/lib/python3.4/site-packages/UnityTweakTool/section/spaghetti/compiz.py", line 52, in __init__
    self._base_window_snapping_surface = cairo.ImageSurface.create_from_png(os.path.join(unitytweakconfig.get_data_path(), 'monitor-window-snapping.png'))
AttributeError: 'module' object has no attribute 'ImageSurface'
[silkworm205@hayo ~]$ 

EDIT: I managed to fix it. I replaced the Ambiance theme from ubuntu-themes with an alternate Ambiance lookalike and modified the index.theme to say it was just Ambiance.
EDIT 2; Revenge of the Edit: Using the Unity-settings-daemon from the testing repo fixed the Login screen wallpaper inheritance for me.. Thanks. big_smile

Last edited by Silkworm205 (2014-10-17 10:54:40)

#2650 2014-10-17 19:53:08

gauravpadia

After gnome 3.14 updates, gnome-terminal background became white. Also I can't see the checkbox on some of the applications. Anybody experiencing this issue or its just me ?

Thanks.

Board footer