You are not logged in.

#2651 2014-10-18 13:40:42

zeppelinlg

Re: Progress on Unity under Arch Linux!

Seems cairo replace cairo-ubuntu because arch have cairo 1.13. Need to "pacman -S cairo" for replacing it
See https://github.com/chenxiaolong/Unity-f … 57cf5861c7

Last edited by zeppelinlg (2014-10-18 13:41:05)

#2652 2014-10-18 19:39:45

Silkworm205

gauravpadia wrote:

After gnome 3.14 updates, gnome-terminal background became white. Also I can't see the checkbox on some of the applications. Anybody experiencing this issue or its just me ?

Thanks.

The checkbox issue seems to be with vanilla Gnome, with or without Unity. I had issues with GTK3 apps in Unity, Mate, and even KDE after purging the Unity repo on my Machine.

I think I know enough to know I don't know enough.

#2653 2014-10-18 19:45:58

sollidsnake

gauravpadia wrote:

After gnome 3.14 updates, gnome-terminal background became white. Also I can't see the checkbox on some of the applications. Anybody experiencing this issue or its just me ?

Thanks.

Me too. The checkbox and radio is a theme issue. As always, GNOME doesn't keep a theme compatibility and almost every theme gets screwed after the update. You have a few options:
1. Use the default adwaita theme
2. Search for themes for GNOME 3.14
3. Fix the theme yourself

I chose to fix the theme I use. It wasn't that hard

Last edited by sollidsnake (2014-10-18 19:46:40)

Non serviam

#2654 2014-10-18 20:01:16

Silkworm205

sollidsnake wrote:

Me too. The checkbox and radio is a theme issue. As always, GNOME doesn't keep a theme compatibility and almost every theme gets screwed after the update. You have a few options:

There's an easy patch? Could you share or link it for us please?

#2655 2014-10-19 14:24:31

sollidsnake

Silkworm205 wrote:
sollidsnake wrote:

Well, each theme will need its own patch. I fixed the gnome-cupertino theme for me, and the changes I needed to make were in theme-folder/gtk-3.0/gtk-widgets-assets.css
Basically all I had to do was to change all occurrences of

background-image: url("assets/l-checkbox-unchecked-18.png");

to

-gtk-icon-source: -gtk-scaled(url("assets/l-checkbox-unchecked-18.png")); 

Anyway, I can share this theme I've ported if you want

Non serviam

#2656 2014-10-19 17:58:56

Silkworm205

sollidsnake wrote:
Silkworm205 wrote:
sollidsnake wrote:

Well, each theme will need its own patch. I fixed the gnome-cupertino theme for me, and the changes I needed to make were in theme-folder/gtk-3.0/gtk-widgets-assets.css
Basically all I had to do was to change all occurrences of

background-image: url("assets/l-checkbox-unchecked-18.png");

to

-gtk-icon-source: -gtk-scaled(url("assets/l-checkbox-unchecked-18.png")); 

Anyway, I can share this theme I've ported if you want

Thanks for sharing the code. I managed to tweak my theme to display the checkboxes/radio buttons, but it won't show the contents of each. And thanks for offering to share your patched theme, but I'm going to stay with my dark theme. Ambiance Blackout looks really nice with overlay scrollbars.
I've noticed a separate issue since GTK3.14's release. Dropdown boxes of some windows don't stay when left clicked. I have to click and hold. Most noteable my Network Manager Applet in Mate. It's the only non-gtk2 applet I have on my panel. Does anyone know if this is another GTK issue or a weird coincidence?

#2657 2014-10-19 21:28:41

sollidsnake

Silkworm205 wrote:

I've noticed a separate issue since GTK3.14's release. Dropdown boxes of some windows don't stay when left clicked. I have to click and hold. Most noteable my Network Manager Applet in Mate. It's the only non-gtk2 applet I have on my panel. Does anyone know if this is another GTK issue or a weird coincidence?

Yes, I've noticed that too, and a lot of other issues, but didn't dig much in. I decided to downgrade to gtk 3.12 and stick with it until a new update.

Non serviam

#2658 2014-10-20 02:57:51

ryanvade

I managed to fix my problem by building ubuntu-compiz from source.  I Know that mixing aur and repo packages isn't great but this mix works.   I have run into another problem though that is unrelated.  The audio applet is broken.  Whenever I try to click on it all of the applets reset. I will make a video soon to show what I mean.

Other than that everything is still great.  I have one question though, with 14.10 packages is MIR required?

Video of issue:
http://youtu.be/oBM_KwncGOs

Last edited by ryanvade (2014-10-20 03:12:38)

#2659 2014-10-20 03:37:19

ryanvade

** (nautilus:15093): WARNING **: Couldn't connect to accessibility bus: Failed to connect to socket /tmp/dbus-TGmZeC7I2l: Connection refused

#2660 2014-10-20 09:20:01

sollidsnake

ryanvade wrote:

I managed to fix my problem by building ubuntu-compiz from source.  I Know that mixing aur and repo packages isn't great but this mix works.   I have run into another problem though that is unrelated.  The audio applet is broken.  Whenever I try to click on it all of the applets reset. I will make a video soon to show what I mean.

Other than that everything is still great.  I have one question though, with 14.10 packages is MIR required?

Video of issue:

I have this issue too. I managed to fix with

gsettings set com.canonical.indicator.sound interested-media-players '[]'

That will remove all players shown in the sound indicator though

Non serviam

#2661 2014-10-20 16:56:15

ryanvade

sollidsnake wrote:
ryanvade wrote:

Video of issue:

I have this issue too. I managed to fix with

That will remove all players shown in the sound indicator though

Thank you, that worked.  But for some reason all of the applets are set to scrolling.  Do you know how to fix that?

*EDIT it worked until I opened rhythmbox.  I think the issue is the scrolling indicators.

Last edited by ryanvade (2014-10-20 17:19:15)

#2662 2014-10-20 18:04:02

sollidsnake

ryanvade wrote:

Thank you, that worked.  But for some reason all of the applets are set to scrolling.  Do you know how to fix that?

*EDIT it worked until I opened rhythmbox.  I think the issue is the scrolling indicators.

Try blacklisting rhythmbox it with

gsettings set com.canonical.indicator.sound blacklisted-media-players "['rhythmbox.desktop']"

and setting interested media players to none again

gsettings set com.canonical.indicator.sound interested-media-players "[]"

I believe you'll have to do this workaround for every player you install. As for the scrolling indicators, I'm not sure, but I believe it's a theme issue. I decided to downgrad to gtk 3.12. Right now I don't have the time to spend on all these issues

Last edited by sollidsnake (2014-10-20 18:06:23)

Non serviam

#2663 2014-10-20 20:25:36

ryanvade

sollidsnake wrote:
ryanvade wrote:

gsettings set com.canonical.indicator.sound blacklisted-media-players "['rhythmbox.desktop']"

I believe you'll have to do this workaround for every player you install. As for the scrolling indicators, I'm not sure, but I believe it's a theme issue. I decided to downgrad to gtk 3.12. Right now I don't have the time to spend on all these issues

I can't find any gtk 3.12 packages.  Do you know where i can find them?

*EDIT I found it in the AUR.  Another AUR package to install with the repo packages....

Last edited by ryanvade (2014-10-20 20:57:23)

#2664 2014-10-20 21:42:31

Silkworm205

ryanvade wrote:
sollidsnake wrote:
ryanvade wrote:

*EDIT I found it in the AUR.  Another AUR package to install with the repo packages....

The safest thing to do is to just use pacman to install the version you had installed before gtk-3.14. Try pacman -U /var/cache/pacman/pkg/gtk3-
then use tab to show what possibilities are in there. Unless you clean out your package cache regularly, there should be a good version. I downgraded to gtk3-3.12.2-1 myself this way.
Also, if using this method, blacklist gtk3 in your pacman.conf. You don't want the next update to update it automatically.

On the media player subject, I don't have Unity installed on my machine right now, but is it possible to set the blacklist media players gsetting to all?

gsettings set com.canonical.indicator.sound blacklisted-media-players "['*']"

#2665 2014-10-21 02:03:42

ryanvade

Silkworm205 wrote:
ryanvade wrote:
sollidsnake wrote:

The safest thing to do is to just use pacman to install the version you had installed before gtk-3.14. Try pacman -U /var/cache/pacman/pkg/gtk3-
then use tab to show what possibilities are in there. Unless you clean out your package cache regularly, there should be a good version. I downgraded to gtk3-3.12.2-1 myself this way.
Also, if using this method, blacklist gtk3 in your pacman.conf. You don't want the next update to update it automatically.

On the media player subject, I don't have Unity installed on my machine right now, but is it possible to set the blacklist media players gsetting to all?

Unfortunately I never had gtk 3.12 on my system. This is a fresh install.  Building from the AUR fixes it.  But I would love to fix the sound indicator.  I reallly like being able to control media players from it.

gsettings set com.canonical.indicator.sound blacklisted-media-players "['*']"

#2666 2014-10-22 16:18:03

kubax

Seems like Unity is broken in uptodate Installs.
Just installed Arch on my new SSD (Laptop) and can't start Unity.

Got same problem on my main PC after pacman -Syu, but got it fixed by reverting to the old packages.

2 packages i found makeing problems are "metacity" and "icu"/"lib32-icu" but there must be more. Can't find any hints in logs (at least i can't ^^)

Any hints?

#2667 2014-10-22 21:39:34

Silkworm205

kubax wrote:

Seems like Unity is broken in uptodate Installs.
Just installed Arch on my new SSD (Laptop) and can't start Unity.

Got same problem on my main PC after pacman -Syu, but got it fixed by reverting to the old packages.

2 packages i found makeing problems are "metacity" and "icu"/"lib32-icu" but there must be more. Can't find any hints in logs (at least i can't ^^)

Any hints?

Welcome to the forums Kubax. smile
Is there any more information you can give us? Stuff like what the error itself is, and what refers to metacity and icu would be helpful.
Also, are you using the github, AUR, or unofficial repository to install?

#2668 2014-10-22 22:03:59

kubax

Sorry, forgot to add more infos, as i was in hurry to get home (useing arch like 3 weeks productive in work now)

the problem is, there is no window decoration, or panels. in the journalctl i found a dependance to libicu.so.53 (i think it was) but it's now libicu.so.54.
Also metacity is needed by compiz-decoration or gtk-window-decoration. (i think it was libmetacity.so.1 needed, but libmetacity.so.2 available)

Installation is from unofficial repository (dropbox), as i read that the AUR would be slightly outdated.

I could post some logs tomorrow when i'm back at work.

#2669 2014-10-23 09:29:03

kubax

So, here is my log. It's the complete boot. Lightdm was started by hand around 11:04:19.

https://gist.github.com/kubax/3d340679c37638bf87c5

#2670 2014-10-23 19:47:16

horsemanoffaith

kubax wrote:

Sorry, forgot to add more infos, as i was in hurry to get home (useing arch like 3 weeks productive in work now)

the problem is, there is no window decoration, or panels. in the journalctl i found a dependance to libicu.so.53 (i think it was) but it's now libicu.so.54.
Also metacity is needed by compiz-decoration or gtk-window-decoration. (i think it was libmetacity.so.1 needed, but libmetacity.so.2 available)

Installation is from unofficial repository (dropbox), as i read that the AUR would be slightly outdated.

I could post some logs tomorrow when i'm back at work.

Kubux, I had the same problem (just a background, no launcher, icons, or system bar). I also have Fluxbox installed on my system, and starting Nautilus in a terminal inside of Fluxbox, I found it complaining about libicui18n.so.53 being missing, so naturally my first thought was to downgrade icu. When I did that, Nautilus complained about libicui18n.so.54 being missing!!! ARRRRRGH!! I had an issue like this in the past where an upgrade changed a library and one of my programs wouldn't work with the upgraded library, but another program wouldn't work with the downgraded library, so I just downgraded to the old library, copied the two library files (the whatever.so.## and the .so.##.#) , then pasted it into my /usr/lib folder. I did the same thing here- I ended up copying 6 files from the downgraded icu, then pasting them into my /usr/lib folder (the six files are libicui18n.so.53, libicui18n.so.53.1, libicuuc.so.53, libicuuc.so.53.1, libicudata.so.53, and libicudata.so.53.1). I copied the files into my home folder, then started nemo (I installed it to make finding the files easier) using sudo in a terminal so that I could copy and paste them instead of doing it all over the command line. That got me to where my icons showed up on my desktop, but the launcher and system bar were still missing. Using a terminal, I started ccsm and checked to see if the Unity plugin was enabled, which it was not. As soon as I enabled it, Unity popped right up. You might be able to do the same thing with metacity, but I didn't have that problem.

#2671 2014-10-23 20:51:37

kubax

Thanks for the answer horsemanoffaith (btw. my name is kubAx, not kubUx wink )

I had the exact same thing with nautilus, but didn't remember it. I'll try this tomorrow... eventually metacity doesn't have to be downgraded..

The thing with ccsm was same here, but i did solve it with my crowbar (compiz.reset) smile

#2672 2014-10-24 08:09:28

horsemanoffaith

kubax wrote:

Thanks for the answer horsemanoffaith (btw. my name is kubAx, not kubUx wink )

Oops!!! Sorry for the typo!!!

kubax wrote:

I had the exact same thing with nautilus, but didn't remember it. I'll try this tomorrow... eventually metacity doesn't have to be downgraded..

The thing with ccsm was same here, but i did solve it with my crowbar (compiz.reset) smile

The first thing I do when I have a breakage is look in my Pacman cache to find out what was recently updated... thus how I found out Nautilus didn't work. I'm not sure about metacity- I wonder why I didn't have a problem with it... I just did a Pacman query, and metacity is installed on my system. I thought Unity only used Compiz as its window manager.

I hope my solution works for you as well as it did for me! :-)

#2673 2014-10-25 12:11:43

tydell
Website

Yesterday update made mess with Unity on my Arch. When I log in through lightdm I got only wallpaper and mouse pointer (unity started as unity-fallback).
I don't know where is the problem but I think that icu and harfbuzz-icu packages made my Unity unusable:

[paulina@tydelki ~]$ hud-cli
hud-cli: error while loading shared libraries: libicui18n.so.53: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory
[paulina@tydelki ~]$ hud-gtk 
hud-gtk: error while loading shared libraries: libicui18n.so.53: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory
[paulina@tydelki ~]$ nautilus
nautilus: error while loading shared libraries: libicui18n.so.53: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory

Unfortunately when I downgrade those packages problem still exists, but then it claims

error while loading shared libraries: libicui18n.so.54: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory

Last edited by tydell (2014-10-25 12:57:23)

#2674 2014-10-25 13:18:30

kubax

tydell, it's the exact same problem i had.
Just do what horsemanoffaith wrote. Downgrade, copy thos 6 files to your home folder, than upgrade again and copy them back to /usr/lib. Works like a charm.

(sorry, i didn't answer before, but i had to go to a doctor, as i rick my back [that's the nerest translation for "Rücken verrenkt" i could find .. don't know the english term for it ^^].)

#2675 2014-10-25 14:47:31

tydell
Website

I recompiled a few packages (dee-ubuntu, hud, nautilus-ubuntu, libcolumbus) according to Unity page at wiki.archlinux.org and now everything seems to be fine.

Last edited by tydell (2014-10-25 16:16:31)

Board footer