You are not logged in.

#2676 2014-10-26 19:58:35

Silkworm205

Re: Progress on Unity under Arch Linux!

Thanks for the advice on libicu handling Horsemanoffaith. My Unity works again too now. I think it should be mentioned though, I had to go into preferences in ccsm, and disable automatic plugin sorting and manually enable Unity as it has no checkbox in the normal UI.

Currently I only have two things not working properly. The lightdm user background thing, and the clock is unable to display the date without vanishing. Does anyone have any advice on this?

I really am loving how well Unity works under Arch Linux. I had Ubuntu installed on this machine before, around 12.04 and the performance was noticeably hurt, prompting my departure to Arch. Nice to come full circle to this thing and get along with it.

I think I know enough to know I don't know enough.

#2677 2014-10-29 05:09:55

chenxiaolong

The icu 54 rebuilds have been pushed to the repo and a fix for indicator-sound is on its way to the repo. There was something wrong with drawing the shadow of the previous track button causing unity-panel-service to segfault. I disabled that code for now, which causes a minor issue where the previous track button is not highlighted when the mouse hovers over it.

EDIT: The fix is in 13.10.0daily14.04.23-3, which should be in the repos now. https://github.com/chenxiaolong/Unity-f … ef09f79f61

EDIT2: The metacity issue was another change from the GNOME folks that broke Unity. A fix for that should also be in the repos now. https://github.com/chenxiaolong/Unity-f … 3e4851972c

Last edited by chenxiaolong (2014-10-29 05:19:57)

#2678 2014-10-29 07:10:50

zeppelinlg

Unity work fine now. Thanks for the rebuild.
I have another bug with the File icon. When I try to launch it from the unity panel it does'nt but I have icon on the desktop and nautilus is launching from the command line. The .desktop file seem mess up.

#2679 2014-10-30 00:02:52

Silkworm205

Thanks for the update. On my machine it fixed both my clock issue, gtk radio buttons/checkboxes, and the sound menu.

Zepplinlg, did you make sure you installed nautilus-ubuntu specifically? Also, look at the arch-wiki page on Unity. It covers some details on Nautilus.

Edit: I've noticed window borders aren't drawn on inactive workspaces. Is this part of the metacity patch?

Last edited by Silkworm205 (2014-10-30 01:04:44)

#2680 2014-10-30 03:29:09

chenxiaolong

Silkworm205 wrote:

Thanks for the update. On my machine it fixed both my clock issue, gtk radio buttons/checkboxes, and the sound menu.

Zepplinlg, did you make sure you installed nautilus-ubuntu specifically? Also, look at the arch-wiki page on Unity. It covers some details on Nautilus.

Edit: I've noticed window borders aren't drawn on inactive workspaces. Is this part of the metacity patch?

Oh wow, I didn't notice the missing window borders in the workspace switcher. I'm not quite sure if that's a metacity issue or a compiz issue.

#2681 2014-10-30 04:34:39

okto

Oh hey, chenxiaolong, the security cert for Jenkins is way expired. Chrome yelled at me about it. smile

#2682 2014-10-30 09:09:34

kubax

it would have yelled anyways, because it is self signed wink

chenxiaolong have a look at startssl.com.. it's a free-of-charge ca for "normal" usecases... it's not the perfekt thingy, but hey.. it's free smile (most of the time)

#2683 2014-10-30 09:16:10

Silkworm205

There's an issue with window placement in minecraft that i've noticed. (I'm not sure if it's java apps or just minecraft specifically) if you look in this screenshot, there's a 10 pixel border where the window holds whatever was rendered there as it was maximised, and the cursor input is offset by about 10 pixels as well, as you can see from me highlighting my pickaxe.
Minecraft Window Offset

#2684 2014-10-30 09:39:24

zeppelinlg

Silkworm205 wrote:

Hi, nautilus-ubuntu is installed specifically. I have unity on arch with 2 computers. The problem was only on one, your url point the difference to me. Nautilus manage the desktop on the computer with the bug. I had tryed on the other one "gsettings set org.gnome.desktop.background show-desktop-icons true" and the bug appears.

Last edited by zeppelinlg (2014-10-30 09:39:52)

#2685 2014-10-30 12:29:15

sollidsnake

Silkworm205 wrote:

There's an issue with window placement in minecraft that i've noticed. (I'm not sure if it's java apps or just minecraft specifically) if you look in this screenshot, there's a 10 pixel border where the window holds whatever was rendered there as it was maximised, and the cursor input is offset by about 10 pixels as well, as you can see from me highlighting my pickaxe.
Minecraft Window Offset

For me it looks alright.
Maybe it's some configuration of yours. Did you try it on a brand new user?

Non serviam

#2686 2014-10-30 16:53:24

chenxiaolong

okto wrote:

Oh hey, chenxiaolong, the security cert for Jenkins is way expired. Chrome yelled at me about it. smile

Oh.. expired on 2014-10-03... Thanks for letting me know! smile I have a new cert for it now.

kubax wrote:

it would have yelled anyways, because it is self signed wink

chenxiaolong have a look at startssl.com.. it's a free-of-charge ca for "normal" usecases... it's not the perfekt thingy, but hey.. it's free smile (most of the time)

Wow, I didn't know anybody offered SSL certs for free smile It seems like you have to own the top-level domain though, so it doesn't really work with my dynamic DNS provider.

#2687 2014-10-30 17:32:11

chenxiaolong

zeppelinlg wrote:
Silkworm205 wrote:

Hi, nautilus-ubuntu is installed specifically. I have unity on arch with 2 computers. The problem was only on one, your url point the difference to me. Nautilus manage the desktop on the computer with the bug. I had tryed on the other one "gsettings set org.gnome.desktop.background show-desktop-icons true" and the bug appears.

That was another bug in GNOME 3.14. The fix has been merged upstream already and I'll add it to nautilus-ubuntu.

[1] https://bugzilla.gnome.org/show_bug.cgi?id=738280
[2] https://bugzilla.redhat.com/show_bug.cgi?id=1147357
[3] https://git.gnome.org/browse/nautilus/c … 7ec369cea0
[4] https://git.gnome.org/browse/nautilus/c … 9808b3f568

Of course, the fixes only work in GNOME fallback...

EDIT: Fixed! New package is building now.

Last edited by chenxiaolong (2014-10-30 17:46:49)

#2688 2014-10-30 19:29:38

Silkworm205

sollidsnake wrote:
Silkworm205 wrote:

Minecraft Window Offset

For me it looks alright.
Maybe it's some configuration of yours. Did you try it on a brand new user?

Tried it as a new user, same problem. He looks so dissapointed.
This time I ran an unmodded minecraft at the latest version.  For some reason, minecraft is the only program I've had this issue with so far.

Edit: I ran another java game, Domination from the AUR to see if it was java that was causing the issue. It maximised without any issue.

Last edited by Silkworm205 (2014-10-30 19:35:40)

#2689 2014-10-31 05:25:10

horsemanoffaith

Chen,

Thanks for your re-build. I totally borked my system last night by accidentally deleting a very very critical system file. I had to re-install it, and it is working better than it was when I first did the upgrade from Gnome 3.12 to Gnome 3.14. The only thing that is still not working for me is the PlayOnLinux icon on the launcher. I have to launch PlayOnLinux either from the command line or from the link I have on the desktop. When I click on the icon on the launcher, it flashes, but it never starts. In the Dash, there are two POL icons, and only one of them launches the program. I had the very same problem in Ubuntu 14.04 LTS. Would you have any idea of how to fix this problem?

Zepplinlg- my new install (just done tonight) doesn't have the Nautilus problem... looks like Chen fixed it based on his last post.

#2690 2014-10-31 07:45:36

Silkworm205

horsemanoffaith wrote:

Chen,

Thanks for your re-build. I totally borked my system last night by accidentally deleting a very very critical system file. I had to re-install it, and it is working better than it was when I first did the upgrade from Gnome 3.12 to Gnome 3.14. The only thing that is still not working for me is the PlayOnLinux icon on the launcher. I have to launch PlayOnLinux either from the command line or from the link I have on the desktop. When I click on the icon on the launcher, it flashes, but it never starts. In the Dash, there are two POL icons, and only one of them launches the program. I had the very same problem in Ubuntu 14.04 LTS. Would you have any idea of how to fix this problem?

Zepplinlg- my new install (just done tonight) doesn't have the Nautilus problem... looks like Chen fixed it based on his last post.

That's a weird issue horsemanoffaith, as my PoL launcher works fine, as do its shortcuts to fallout 1/2. Try cat-ing both of the .desktop files to see what command their running. Here's mine for a reference:

[silkworm205@hayo ~]$ cat /usr/share/applications/playonlinux.desktop 
[Desktop Entry]
Version=1.0
Encoding=UTF-8
Name=PlayOnLinux
Comment=PlayOnLinux
Type=Application
Exec=playonlinux
Icon=/usr/share/playonlinux/etc/playonlinux.png
Categories=Application;Game

Also, have a look in ~/.local/share/applications as some programs like to put user specific launchers there.

#2691 2014-11-01 03:53:56

horsemanoffaith

Silkworm205 wrote:

That's a weird issue horsemanoffaith, as my PoL launcher works fine, as do its shortcuts to fallout 1/2. Try cat-ing both of the .desktop files to see what command their running. Here's mine for a reference:

[Desktop Entry]
Version=1.0
Encoding=UTF-8
Name=PlayOnLinux
Comment=PlayOnLinux
Type=Application
Exec=playonlinux

I did that, and my output is exactly the same. The icon on my desktop lauches POL perfectly. When I launch POL, it creates a ? icon on the launcher. I right-click that icon and click "lock to launcher", close POL, then try to reopen it, and it doesn't launch. Also, in my dash, there are two POL icons. One launches POL, the other does not. I just dragged the working icon from the dash to the launcher, and it lauches the program, but it again creates the ? icon, instead of putting the arrows around the icon. Again, this problem is present in 14.04, so I assume it's a bug in Unity's code.

Silkworm205 wrote:

Also, have a look in ~/.local/share/applications as some programs like to put user specific launchers there.

No PlayOnLinux launcher in location you gave me. I'm not sure what's going on with PlayOnLinux, but I know it's not a normal executable... POL lauches using a Python script.

#2692 2014-11-01 11:44:30

Silkworm205

horsemanoffaith wrote:
Silkworm205 wrote:

[Desktop Entry]
Version=1.0
Encoding=UTF-8
Name=PlayOnLinux
Comment=PlayOnLinux
Type=Application
Exec=playonlinux

I did that, and my output is exactly the same. The icon on my desktop lauches POL perfectly. When I launch POL, it creates a ? icon on the launcher. I right-click that icon and click "lock to launcher", close POL, then try to reopen it, and it doesn't launch. Also, in my dash, there are two POL icons. One launches POL, the other does not. I just dragged the working icon from the dash to the launcher, and it lauches the program, but it again creates the ? icon, instead of putting the arrows around the icon. Again, this problem is present in 14.04, so I assume it's a bug in Unity's code.

Silkworm205 wrote:

No PlayOnLinux launcher in location you gave me. I'm not sure what's going on with PlayOnLinux, but I know it's not a normal executable... POL lauches using a Python script.

Odd. I looked up what .desktop files the playonlinux package provides and there are two: /usr/share/applications/playonlinux.desktop and /usr/share/playonlinux/etc/PlayOnLinux.desktop.
Could it be both of these are appearing in your search? Try appending NoDisplay=true to one of them, then log out and back in to see if it's removed. (logging out/in is the only way I know of to get Unity to pick up on .desktop modifications) On my machine the file in /usr/share/playonlinux/etc/PlayOnLinux.desktop fails to launch when run from a file browser. It might be a logical first one to edit.

On a separate note, Steam faces the same issue on my machine as Minecraft. a 10 pixel offset from the Unity launcher with matching mouse issues.

#2693 2014-11-02 05:49:46

horsemanoffaith

Silkworm205 wrote:

Odd. I looked up what .desktop files the playonlinux package provides and there are two: /usr/share/applications/playonlinux.desktop and /usr/share/playonlinux/etc/PlayOnLinux.desktop.
Could it be both of these are appearing in your search? Try appending NoDisplay=true to one of them, then log out and back in to see if it's removed. (logging out/in is the only way I know of to get Unity to pick up on .desktop modifications) On my machine the file in /usr/share/playonlinux/etc/PlayOnLinux.desktop fails to launch when run from a file browser. It might be a logical first one to edit.

I tested both, and the /usr/share/playonlinux/etc/PlayOnLinux.desktop gives me an error that it can't launch the application. I will check it to see why it doesn't work. The /usr/share/applications/playonlinux.desktop launches the application, but it still gives me the ? icon in the launcher. I'm not sure what's happening, but the issue first appeared for me in Ubuntu 14.04. It works fine for me on my older install of Arch on my desktop. My newer desktop install does something similar- when I click on the launcher icon, it start POL, but it creates a second POL icon in the launcher. Unfortunately, this makes solving the problem difficult, because I have three different systems giving me three different results. Still, that doesn't really surprise me, because all three installs are not the same... only my laptop is up-to-date. I haven't updated my old desktop install for quite some time (because it works VERY well, and I really don't want to go messing around with it), and my newer install is for my new SSD drive to test how much faster my system will be. If I discover why it doesn't work, I'll let you know.

#2694 2014-11-02 23:19:13

Silkworm205

horsemanoffaith wrote:

I tested both, and the /usr/share/playonlinux/etc/PlayOnLinux.desktop gives me an error that it can't launch the application. I will check it to see why it doesn't work. The /usr/share/applications/playonlinux.desktop launches the application, but it still gives me the ? icon in the launcher. I'm not sure what's happening, but the issue first appeared for me in Ubuntu 14.04. It works fine for me on my older install of Arch on my desktop. My newer desktop install does something similar- when I click on the launcher icon, it start POL, but it creates a second POL icon in the launcher. Unfortunately, this makes solving the problem difficult, because I have three different systems giving me three different results. Still, that doesn't really surprise me, because all three installs are not the same... only my laptop is up-to-date. I haven't updated my old desktop install for quite some time (because it works VERY well, and I really don't want to go messing around with it), and my newer install is for my new SSD drive to test how much faster my system will be. If I discover why it doesn't work, I'll let you know.

I left Ubuntu around version 12.04, so I can't offer any knowledge relating to the issue in 14.04. Is it possible some program is autorunning when PoL is launched?

Chenxiaolong, I've noticed that when I click and drag the Unity scrollbars, letting go of them causes it to move the scroll as if I tapped it, after I line up the area with where I want it to be. Is this meant to happen?

Edit: I found something regarding my minecraft issue. I imported my machine into a virtual machine and ran minecraft in there using the virtualbox display drivers. The issue was gone. If it's any help, the host machine is running the AMD Catalyst drivers.

Last edited by Silkworm205 (2014-11-03 08:54:51)

#2695 2014-11-05 11:55:32

Silkworm205

Well I feel like a lemon. Today I found out why I couldn't get the Lightdm User Wallpaper feature to work. I stripped out Mate and applied a few Gnome components to fill the gaps and lo and behold, there's my wallpaper. The relevant one was probably gnome-control-center. One day minecraft will work properly too. big_smile

Edit: I just installed the package on my VM to verify that it was that package that enabled it, but it appears not. I'll post the package when I've found it.
Edit2: I mimicked my entire package library to my VM and it still wont show in it. I have no idea what made it work anymore. sad
Edit3 This has baffled me. I missed two packages from the AUR on my VM, indicator-weather-bzr and indicator-multiload. I installed them, editing the pkgbuilds to depend on libappindicator3 rather than libappindicator-gtk3, and after that the wallpaper in the login screen worked. Removing the packages, and their dependencies left it working too.

Last edited by Silkworm205 (2014-11-10 03:07:23)

#2696 2014-11-13 20:15:02

Silkworm205

Sorry for triple posting but I found an issue.
Today on a full system update, procps-ng got upgraded and removed /usr/lib/libprocps.so3. This is causing the bamfwatcher service to fail. If I remember rightly, this service is just to update the list of Unity apps as packages get installed, so it's not a huge issue.

#2697 2014-11-23 06:16:29

horsemanoffaith

After my last update, Unity no longer starts. When I log in, I never get the desktop-it stays stuck on the greeter desktop. I know there were some lib and lib32 updates, but I have no idea what was updated, and I really don't want to go mucking around in my system's pacman cache for the next couple of hours to figure out what files were updated. Is there any way to search the cache by date via the command line?

Edit #1- Nevermind on the way to search the cache... found an easy way to do it using Nautilus. As soon as I know what caused my problem, I'll edit my post again in case someone else has the same problem

Edit #2- Now that's VERY strange. I found the problem using journalctl- libimobiledevice.so.4 was missing... but that package was modified on the 15th of this month, and I've been using my laptop almost every day. Not sure why that changed all of a sudden. WEIRD! It's working now, so I'm happy!!!

Edit #3- I'm using the current version of libimobiledevice... and it's working... I have no idea what's going on. I'll keep an eye out on my system. Not sure what's going on, but at least if it happens again, I know how to fix it.

Last edited by horsemanoffaith (2014-11-23 06:57:07)

#2698 2014-11-23 14:50:58

andreibsk

horsemanoffaith wrote:

After my last update, Unity no longer starts. When I log in, I never get the desktop-it stays stuck on the greeter desktop. I know there were some lib and lib32 updates, but I have no idea what was updated, and I really don't want to go mucking around in my system's pacman cache for the next couple of hours to figure out what files were updated. Is there any way to search the cache by date via the command line?

Edit #1- Nevermind on the way to search the cache... found an easy way to do it using Nautilus. As soon as I know what caused my problem, I'll edit my post again in case someone else has the same problem

Edit #2- Now that's VERY strange. I found the problem using journalctl- libimobiledevice.so.4 was missing... but that package was modified on the 15th of this month, and I've been using my laptop almost every day. Not sure why that changed all of a sudden. WEIRD! It's working now, so I'm happy!!!

Edit #3- I'm using the current version of libimobiledevice... and it's working... I have no idea what's going on. I'll keep an eye out on my system. Not sure what's going on, but at least if it happens again, I know how to fix it.

Can confirm this. Same thing happened to me.
It seems like the update to libimobiledevice-1.1.7-1 changes from .so.4 and .so.4.0.1 to the following:

libimobiledevice.so -> libimobiledevice.so.5.0.0
libimobiledevice.so.5 -> libimobiledevice.so.5.0.0
libimobiledevice.so.5.0.0

Adding the following link fixed the problem for me. Unity session runs now. But i'm not sure what other side effects this might have.
libimobiledevice.so.4 -> libimobiledevice.so.5

#2699 2014-11-23 19:24:47

Silkworm205

I'm having more issues. I migrated to a new HDD, reinstalling all my packages and now I have no network applet in the panel, the clock can't display the date again, themes wont change, and icons only change after relogging in.
Almost seems like unity-settings-damon is broken in some way. Trying to run it mid-session gives the following output:

** (unity-settings-daemon:1247): WARNING **: Attempted to init Xsync, found version 3.1 error base 134 event base 83
** (unity-settings-daemon:1247): WARNING **: Name taken or bus went away - shutting down

Somehow, logging into the old drive and updating it, these issues aren't present.
It also takes me 90 seconds to log into Unity now. Even on a new account with no autorun applications.

EDIT: Logging into gnome shell and trying to access network settings gives me the message "The system network services are incompatible with this version". Nevermind, I didn't enable NetworkManager.service. nm-applet works for me now but my other issues remain.

Last edited by Silkworm205 (2014-11-23 20:25:44)

#2700 2014-11-23 19:27:43

zeppelinlg

andreibsk wrote:

Adding the following link fixed the problem for me. Unity session runs now. But i'm not sure what other side effects this might have.
libimobiledevice.so.4 -> libimobiledevice.so.5

ln -s /usr/lib/libimobiledevice.so.5.0.0 /usr/lib/libimobiledevice.so.4

Work for me. Thanks

Board footer