You are not logged in.

#2751 2015-02-10 19:27:00

vlast777

Re: Progress on Unity under Arch Linux!

Just a quick questio:

Is there a way to enable this small letter symbol (like in this link http://blog.elektronik-projekt.de/wp-co … ity-1.png) between the clock and the volume tuner in Unity-for-Arch?

Afaik you can start things like XChat, thunderbird etc via this in Ubuntu.

#2752 2015-02-10 19:32:36

Silkworm205

vlast777 wrote:

Just a quick questio:

Is there a way to enable this small letter symbol (like in this link http://blog.elektronik-projekt.de/wp-co … nity-1.png between the clock and the volume tuner in Unity-for-Arch?

That's the old ooooold Unity, back from around Ubuntu 11.04, when it was GTK2 based. I don't know if it's possible or not on this one, as the indicators there provided different utilities.
Also, you left a bracket in your link which breaks it.

I think I know enough to know I don't know enough.

#2753 2015-02-11 09:41:06

vlast777

Silkworm205 wrote:
vlast777 wrote:

Just a quick questio:

Is there a way to enable this small letter symbol (like in this link http://blog.elektronik-projekt.de/wp-co … nity-1.png between the clock and the volume tuner in Unity-for-Arch?

That's the old ooooold Unity, back from around Ubuntu 11.04, when it was GTK2 based. I don't know if it's possible or not on this one, as the indicators there provided different utilities.

Not sure about this.
I had Ubuntu 14.10 installed recently and it had this letter Symbol too in the Status bar.

#2754 2015-02-11 20:40:21

Silkworm205

vlast777 wrote:
Silkworm205 wrote:
vlast777 wrote:

Just a quick questio:

Not sure about this.
I had Ubuntu 14.10 installed recently and it had this letter Symbol too in the Status bar.

I've launched Ubuntu 14.10 on a live USB and I don't see anything like what you seem to be after. Could you get a screenshot of it from 14.10? I could just be missing something.

#2755 2015-02-11 21:42:53

tydell
Website

I've got thunderbird and pidgin in this letter submenu. I think it's come with Unity-for-Arch-Extra/thunderbird-messagingmenu or something.

#2756 2015-02-13 01:44:28

horsemanoffaith

plarke wrote:

anyone know how to take a screenshot? print screen key is a no go.

I enabled the screenshot plugin, but it still didn't work. I installed gnome-screenshot and it's working now.

#2757 2015-02-13 03:20:56

Silkworm205

horsemanoffaith wrote:
plarke wrote:

I enabled the screenshot plugin, but it still didn't work. I installed gnome-screenshot and it's working now.

The screenshot plugin's a bit wierd, you hold the keybind and click+drag a box over what you want to screenshot. (OSX like?) Without specifying the save directory it should save to your desktop.
It showed a box back in the 0.8 compiz series, but doesn't seem to any more.

mate-screenshot is my personal favourite though, but any screenshoting tool could be enabled using the Commands plugin. I have a command set to run a dconf script to change my set of compiz wallpapers.

Last edited by Silkworm205 (2015-02-13 03:21:16)

#2758 2015-02-13 03:39:18

quequotion
Website

Silkworm205 wrote:
horsemanoffaith wrote:
plarke wrote:

The screenshot plugin's a bit wierd, you hold the keybind and click+drag a box over what you want to screenshot. (OSX like?) Without specifying the save directory it should save to your desktop.

mate-screenshot is my personal favourite though, but any screenshoting tool could be enabled using the Commands plugin. I have a command set to run a dconf script to change my set of compiz wallpapers.

Compiz has a "Gnome-compatibility" plugin, "Commands" tab. This is the appropriate place to set the screenshot executable for compiz in a gnome-session (like unity).

Maybe you need gnome-fallback-media-keys-helper to keep your hotkeys working?

#2759 2015-02-13 13:10:35

Silkworm205

quequotion wrote:
Silkworm205 wrote:
horsemanoffaith wrote:

Compiz has a "Gnome-compatibility" plugin, "Commands" tab. This is the appropriate place to set the screenshot executable for compiz in a gnome-session (like unity).

Maybe you need gnome-fallback-media-keys-helper to keep your hotkeys working?

I personally have the screenshot tool working if it's me you're replying to.

#2760 2015-02-26 20:00:12

Mef

horsemanoffaith wrote:
I am still having one issue: On my Unity greeter, the text box where I put my password in is missing. Any ideas?
I can still log-in, I just can't see what I'm doing.

I have the same issue, has anyone found a fix yet?

#2761 2015-03-01 21:23:00

baongoc124

Mef wrote:

horsemanoffaith wrote:
I am still having one issue: On my Unity greeter, the text box where I put my password in is missing. Any ideas?

Rebuild lightdm-unity-greeter package using PKGBUILD from git repo will fix it.

I cannot change my input method to fcitx. Unity sets it to ibus somewhere that I can't figure it out. Does anyone know how to fix this? Thanks.

Update: Not a problem anymore. For anyone who has the same question
1. Use dconf to disable gnome settings daemon's a11y-keyboard plugin
2. Edit /usr/lib/unity-settings-daemon/unity-settings-daemon-localexec to remove ibus environment variables.
3. Remove indicator keyboard from /etc/xdg/autostart to prevent it spawns ibus-daemon at startup

Last edited by baongoc124 (2015-03-02 16:11:02)

#2762 2015-03-08 06:04:53

horsemanoffaith

baongoc124 wrote:
Mef wrote:

horsemanoffaith wrote:

Rebuild lightdm-unity-greeter package using PKGBUILD from git repo will fix it.

That's great news... but I have NO idea how to do that. I've messed around with it, but I haven't been able to do it. Could you help me out?

EDIT: I figured it out, and here's help for those of you that don't know how to do it:

Download the lightdm-unity-greeter tarball from the AUR
     Unpack the tarball.
     Use the following link to get to the github lightdm-unity-greeter location: https://github.com/chenxiaolong/Unity-f … ty-greeter
     Open the PKGBUILD file, then copy all the text in the PKGBUILD file.
     Go to the location you unpacked lightdm-unity-greeter to and open the PKGBUILD file (you may need to install a graphical text editor if you don't have one... I use gedit). Erase everything in it, then paste the contents from the github PKGBUILD file into it and save it.
     You will also need spawn_indicators.patch. Use the same procedure as above with the PKGBUILD file.
     Make the package, then install it. Works like a charm!!

I'm sure there's probably an easier way to accomplish the same task, but I wasn't able to find it. If someone else knows an easier way, please let me know.

Last edited by horsemanoffaith (2015-03-08 06:44:36)

#2763 2015-03-09 13:38:54

tydell
Website

horsemanoffaith wrote:

I'm sure there's probably an easier way to accomplish the same task, but I wasn't able to find it. If someone else knows an easier way, please let me know.

git clone https://github.com/chenxiaolong/Unity-for-Arch.git
cd Unity-for-Arch/lightdm-unity-greeter
makepkg -sci

and then

pacman -U lightdm-unity-greeter....tar.xz

#2764 2015-03-09 14:08:03

horsemanoffaith

tydell wrote:
git clone https://github.com/chenxiaolong/Unity-for-Arch.git
cd Unity-for-Arch/lightdm-unity-greeter
makepkg -sci

and then

pacman -U lightdm-unity-greeter....tar.xz

Knew there had to be an easier way. Thanks for the info tydell... that makes it easier for me next time I have issues!

#2765 2015-03-09 16:02:32

horsemanoffaith

This may have been covered before... it's possible, but I can't find anything about it. I'm missing a bunch of buttons from Unity-Control-Center compared to my install of Ubuntu 14.04 LTS. The only one I care about is the Security and Privacy button. I'd like to be able to control what my system history logs and doesn't log. Is there something I need to install separately to get this functionality?

Screenshots:
Ubuntu: http://i532.photobucket.com/albums/ee32 … 085021.png
Arch: http://i532.photobucket.com/albums/ee32 … 085357.png

#2766 2015-03-10 13:58:32

Silkworm205

horsemanoffaith wrote:

This may have been covered before... it's possible, but I can't find anything about it. I'm missing a bunch of buttons from Unity-Control-Center compared to my install of Ubuntu 14.04 LTS. The only one I care about is the Security and Privacy button. I'd like to be able to control what my system history logs and doesn't log. Is there something I need to install separately to get this functionality?

Screenshots:
Ubuntu: http://i532.photobucket.com/albums/ee32 … 085021.png
Arch: http://i532.photobucket.com/albums/ee32 … 085357.png

I'm not sure if it provides the button in the Gnome control center, but activity-log-manager certainly provides control over zeitgeist monitoring.

#2767 2015-03-13 21:26:34

Silkworm205

I just updated today and I noticed I can't put a lower case 'e' into Unity or the HUD. All that comes up is a blank space. I'm using the standard Ubuntu font.

#2768 2015-03-15 02:27:40

horsemanoffaith

Silkworm205 wrote:

I'm not sure if it provides the button in the Gnome control center, but activity-log-manager certainly provides control over zeitgeist monitoring.

Yep, that is exactly what Ubuntu runs when you click on Security and Privacy in the System Settings. Why is our system settings menu on Unity-for-Arch so different, I wonder?

#2769 2015-03-15 02:49:55

horsemanoffaith

Silkworm205 wrote:

I just updated today and I noticed I can't put a lower case 'e' into Unity or the HUD. All that comes up is a blank space. I'm using the standard Ubuntu font.

I just updated less than 5 minutes ago, and I'm not seeing the problem you mention. Could it be a video driver issue?

#2770 2015-03-15 15:38:52

Silkworm205

horsemanoffaith wrote:
Silkworm205 wrote:

I just updated less than 5 minutes ago, and I'm not seeing the problem you mention. Could it be a video driver issue?

Looks like it was. I checked the AMD thread and found I was on an an old, stable version  of xorg (115). I upgraded to 116 and the issue was gone. Thanks.

#2771 2015-03-15 15:45:53

Silkworm205

horsemanoffaith wrote:
Silkworm205 wrote:

Yep, that is exactly what Ubuntu runs when you click on Security and Privacy in the System Settings. Why is our system settings menu on Unity-for-Arch so different, I wonder?

I believe that Ubuntu 14.10 is running GTK3.12, while we're on 3.14. 15.04 will be on 3.14 though, so we should have a more "Converged" experience as we get closer to its release.

#2772 2015-03-21 19:56:43

horsemanoffaith

Silkworm205 wrote:
horsemanoffaith wrote:
Silkworm205 wrote:

Looks like it was. I checked the AMD thread and found I was on an an old, stable version  of xorg (115). I upgraded to 116 and the issue was gone. Thanks.

Glad I could help!!!

#2773 2015-03-21 19:57:26

horsemanoffaith

Silkworm205 wrote:
horsemanoffaith wrote:
Silkworm205 wrote:

I believe that Ubuntu 14.10 is running GTK3.12, while we're on 3.14. 15.04 will be on 3.14 though, so we should have a more "Converged" experience as we get closer to its release.

Makes sense. We'll see... 15.04 is due out very very soon.

#2774 2015-03-22 15:06:27

PootisBird

So I did

pacman -S $(pacman -Slq Unity-for-Arch)

and all I got is:

błąd:  odkryto nierozwiązywalne konflikty pakietów
błąd:  nie udało się przygotować transakcji (konfliktujące zależności)
:: unity-control-center i upower-compat są w konflikcie

Which translates: unity-control-center is in conflict with upower-compat.

Edit. I have added upower-compat to ignored packages for now.

Last edited by PootisBird (2015-03-22 15:36:39)

#2775 2015-03-27 11:45:10

Mef

Has anyone found a Theme that works fine with unity on arch?

I would like the ambiance theme with different colors.

There is a couple of these on gnomelook.

However i always end up having glitches, such as radiobuttons disappearing, or selected folders with weird colors.

Board footer