You are not logged in.

#2801 2015-04-17 16:22:45

zeppelinlg

Re: Progress on Unity under Arch Linux!

indicator-datetime need rebuild too:

/usr/lib/indicator-datetime/indicator-datetime-service 
/usr/lib/indicator-datetime/indicator-datetime-service: error while loading shared libraries: libecal-1.2.so.16: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory

Last edited by zeppelinlg (2015-04-17 16:42:22)

#2802 2015-04-18 11:18:35

PureTryOut

zeppelinlg wrote:
Silkworm205 wrote:

As a temporary measure I extracted the package for icu 54.x and copied the files from $PACKAGE/usr/lib to /usr/lib, making sure not to overwrite anything. Now everything seems to 'work'. There's some weird compositing issues I've noticed, but everything runs now.

Here a libicu54 package with the /usr/lib/libicu*.54 only
https://owncloud.zeppelinlg.com/index.p … CsBFdYV4W2

Tried that, doesn't seem to work for me. Still missing the shell.

ls /usr/lib
  libicudata.so.54
  libicui18n.so.54
  libicuio.so.54
  libicule.so.54
  libiculx.so.54
  libicutest.so (while a .so.55 file exists)
  libicutu.so.54
  libicuuc.so.54

#2803 2015-04-19 03:37:11

plarke

Today, just a little after I did a system upgrade, the unity dash and launcher disappered. When I login, all I get is my background and mouse (I have to start programs from tty). It looks similar to this but none of those fixes work. Did this happen to anyone else? Anyone have any ideas?

Last edited by plarke (2015-04-19 03:37:28)

#2804 2015-04-19 19:03:14

horsemanoffaith

So I decided to try upgrading my SSD desktop install of Arch (which is a minimal install). Of course, once I upgraded, Unity was gone... just the mouse and background, just like plarke described. I used a tty, installed fluxbox (my alternate for Unity), and tried to start Nautilus, and it gave me missing libicu files. I've had this problem before, so I pretty much knew what to do: I downgraded icu to the .54 version, and copied the libicu files ending in .54 and .54.1 (the files ending in just .so do not need to be copied) to my documents. I then upgraded icu to .55, then copied all the .54 and .54.1 files from my documents to my /usr/lib folder. When I started Unity, I still didn't have the launcher and task bar, so I right-clicked, started a terminal, launched ccsm from the command line, and checked the Use Unity Plugin. As soon as I did that, Unity popped right back up.

It looks to me that many programs need components from both the .54 and the .55 libraries, and won't work unless both are located in the /usr/lib folder. I'm sure that this will be corrected in future updates, or if you don't want things that way, you can probably re-build the programs using the .55 icu libs. With the number of programs that use icu, I just find it easier to do it this way.

If any of you need further assistance, let me know, and I'll line it out step by step so you can get Unity back up and running!

Last edited by horsemanoffaith (2015-04-19 19:04:15)

#2805 2015-04-19 19:35:43

horsemanoffaith

zeppelinlg wrote:

indicator-datetime need rebuild too:

/usr/lib/indicator-datetime/indicator-datetime-service 
/usr/lib/indicator-datetime/indicator-datetime-service: error while loading shared libraries: libecal-1.2.so.16: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory

Here's a workaround until evolution-data-server gets rebuilt:

downgrade evolution-data-server to a previous version. Copy the following files from /usr/lib into a directory of your choice (I used the Documents file).

libcamel-1.2.so.49
libcamel-1.2.so.49.0.0
libecal-1.2.so.16
libecal-1.2.so.16.0.0
libedataserver-1.2.so.18
libedataserver-1.2.so.18.0.0

Upgrade evolution-data-server

Paste the above mentioned files into your /usr/lib folder, then log out of Unity and log back in. The data and time should be working.

#2806 2015-04-22 18:57:19

PureTryOut

Seems there is active porting to Gnome 3.16. Looking forward to having Unity back again!

#2807 2015-04-23 03:41:22

horsemanoffaith

PureTryOut wrote:

Seems there is active porting to Gnome 3.16. Looking forward to having Unity back again!

I'm already on Gnome 3.16, and Unity seems to be working fine using the workarounds that I mentioned above.

#2808 2015-04-23 13:29:21

PureTryOut

Well as I told before (1 page back) the solution does not work for me (i'm not talking about evolution-data-server, I have no clue how to downgrade anything with Pacman).
I have the correct libicu files in /usr/lib but it's still broken.

#2809 2015-04-23 14:33:08

Silkworm205

PureTryOut wrote:

Well as I told before (1 page back) the solution does not work for me (i'm not talking about evolution-data-server, I have no clue how to downgrade anything with Pacman).
I have the correct libicu files in /usr/lib but it's still broken.

There's an article on the wiki which covers downgrading well. Basically, packages are cached in /var/cache/pacman/pkg. As long as they're there, running pacman -U on the package file will downgrade it if it exists.

That being said, I'm fully up to date on everything on my system and Unity works fine with my libicu.54.x trickery. After doing that I had to enable the Unity plugin in CCSM from another Desktop environment because of apparent dconf permissions launching CCSM from a tty and running Unity in Xorg. i3 was what I used to ensure CCSM couldn't automagically detect the running session.

I think I know enough to know I don't know enough.

#2810 2015-04-24 06:38:07

PureTryOut

Well i've tried again yesterday with a clean Arch install, still broken. Placed the libicu54 files in /usr/lib, installed i3 and enabled Unity in CCSM from it, restarted lightdm and launched Unity. Now it even refuses to launch a terminal (Ctrl + Alt + T, I have gnome-terminal installed so the hotkey should work) which it didn't before. I can't right click on the desktop anymore either. I had to switch to tty and restart lightdm to get back to the greeter again.

#2811 2015-04-24 08:02:48

Silkworm205

Try launching I3 again and go into CCSM's preferences. It may have defaulted to a flat file config rather than gconf storage. Also make sure that "Integration into the desktop" is enabled there.

#2812 2015-04-24 13:52:14

PureTryOut

It seemed to be a flat config file yes. Was able to enable Unity however, it enabled a bunch of stuff with it too, I guess some dependency's. Didn't fix the desktop though.

#2813 2015-04-24 14:48:14

Silkworm205

PureTryOut wrote:

It seemed to be a flat config file yes. Was able to enable Unity however, it enabled a bunch of stuff with it too, I guess some dependency's. Didn't fix the desktop though.

Did you re-enable the Unity plugin after setting it to Gsettings from inside the Unity session?

It may be worth launching Unity from a console to view any output. Also, the AUR package fusionicon0.9 provides a few specific settings for Compiz when launched, including graphics card specific bug fixes. That could be handy.

To launch a program from the TTY to spawn in the GUI session, use

export DISPLAY=:0

to run all future programs from that TTY to run off the GUI.

EDIT: I should really clarify, the above line means, Until you log out of that TTY session.

Last edited by Silkworm205 (2015-04-24 15:33:17)

#2814 2015-04-26 12:16:01

PureTryOut

So using your method of spawning an application in the GUI session from the TTY I opened CCSM again (within Unity), it had the Unity plugin checked.
I was also unable to build fusionicon0.9 from the AUR, had some kind of error. But according to the description it's only a tray icon anyway.

Also, I couldn't run Unity from tty with lightdm. With lightdm running it gave me: "Invalid MIT-MAGIC-COOKIE-1 keycompiz (core)".
Without lightdm running it gave me "Fatal: Couldn't open display :0".
With lightdm running and logged in to an Unity session it seems to run fine but only tells me it's starting and loading all of the plugins. Note, it doesn't mention the Unity plugin anywhere.

#2815 2015-04-26 23:51:31

Silkworm205

PureTryOut wrote:

..."Invalid MIT-MAGIC-COOKIE-1 keycompiz (core)"...

Who did you log into the TTY as? As far as I know, the Magic Cookie error happens when spawning a root window in a non-root environment.

#2816 2015-04-29 14:33:42

PureTryOut

I logged in as my own user, but ran it as sudo which is probably the problem here.
Anyways I switched to Mate for now, and i'll try Unity in a VM every once and while to see if it's updated. Thanks for your help anyways.

#2817 2015-05-09 04:21:44

horsemanoffaith

PureTryOut wrote:

I logged in as my own user, but ran it as sudo which is probably the problem here.
Anyways I switched to Mate for now, and i'll try Unity in a VM every once and while to see if it's updated. Thanks for your help anyways.

Have you tried Unity again? I just recently did an install, and everything seem to be working. I'm even able to use Catalyst 15.3, which I wasn't able to do before.

#2818 2015-05-09 11:18:49

HeavyHDx

Can confirm, I just did a fresh install of Arch with Unity and it seems to be working for the most part, the only issues I have are that the settings-window just closes if you click on the keyboard or mouse-settings and the Unity-Tweak-Tool gives this error:

"The following schema is missing

org.gnome.settings-deamon.peripherals.touchpad

In order to work properly, Unity Tweak Tool recommends you install the necessary packages"

I suspect it's connected to the missing mouse-settings.

#2819 2015-05-13 06:08:07

rski

HeavyHDx wrote:

Can confirm, I just did a fresh install of Arch with Unity and it seems to be working for the most part, the only issues I have are that the settings-window just closes if you click on the keyboard or mouse-settings and the Unity-Tweak-Tool gives this error:

In order to work properly, Unity Tweak Tool recommends you install the necessary packages"

I had that problem as well, seems to be due to the touchpad schema being deprecated.

The really dirty solution I used to get it working was to remove the offending line in

/usr/lib/python3.4/site-packages/UnityTweakTool/section/spaghetti/gsettings.py

which is line 113:

touch = gnome('settings-daemon.peripherals.touchpad')

Obviously this should be fixed properly. Is https://github.com/chenxiaolong/Unity-for-Arch the correct repository to report this at?

Last edited by rski (2015-05-13 06:08:52)

#2820 2015-07-17 20:34:48

otoshan

Hello, thanks for Arch Unity i like it. But i can't run package my-weather-indicator. Can you help?

#2821 2015-07-18 16:42:46

horsemanoffaith

I pulled my-weather-indicator from the AUR and installed it. The first thing it complained about was pytz is missing. I installed python2-pytz, and that fixed the first issue. The second thing it complained about was that it was missing requests. I ended up installing python2-pip and installing requests using the command line w/pip inside of Python2.7. I was able to get the setup screen and set my preferences, but now I'm coming up against and encoding error.

****** Updated weather
Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "/opt/extras.ubuntu.com/my-weather-indicator/bin/my-weather-indicator", line 50, in <module>
    mwi=MWI()
  File "/opt/extras.ubuntu.com/my-weather-indicator/share/my-weather-indicator/myweatherindicator.py", line 135, in __init__
    self.load_preferences()
  File "/opt/extras.ubuntu.com/my-weather-indicator/share/my-weather-indicator/myweatherindicator.py", line 376, in load_preferences
    self.work()
  File "/opt/extras.ubuntu.com/my-weather-indicator/share/my-weather-indicator/myweatherindicator.py", line 200, in work
    self.set_menu()
  File "/opt/extras.ubuntu.com/my-weather-indicator/share/my-weather-indicator/myweatherindicator.py", line 524, in set_menu
    self.menu_temperature.set_label(_('Temperature')+': {0}{1:c}'.format(self.current_conditions['temperature'],176))
UnicodeDecodeError: 'ascii' codec can't decode byte 0xb0 in position 4: ordinal not in range(128)

That's as far as I've been able to take it. Is there anyone out there that understands decode errors?

#2822 2015-07-27 08:56:44

horsemanoffaith

So, I've found that I cannot get the Keyboard or Mouse options to work in Unity Control Center. Here's what I've found:

$unity-control-center keyboard
Settings schema 'org.gnome.settings-daemon.peripherals.keyboard' does not contain a key named 'repeat'
Trace/breakpoint trap (core dumped)

and

$unity-control-center mouse
Settings schema 'org.gnome.settings-daemon.peripherals.touchpad' is not installed

Trace/breakpoint trap (core dumped)

I've found this:

https://github.com/chenxiaolong/Unity-f … issues/215

I'm not sure how to tell Unity Control Center where to look for the correct schema/key. I was able to fix the Unity Tweak Tool issue using the same link (there's a link to issue #214 at the above link), but UTT is written in Python, which made correcting the problem fairly easy. I haven't been able to find any settings files for UCC, and I've done quite a bit of searching on Google. I've posted a comment at the above link... I'm hoping that someone will be able to tell me how to fix this, because I'm having key repeat issues that are driving me crazy!!! If anyone has any ideas, I'd certainly be grateful!!

#2823 2015-07-27 08:59:34

horsemanoffaith

rski wrote:
HeavyHDx wrote:

I had that problem as well, seems to be due to the touchpad schema being deprecated.

The really dirty solution I used to get it working was to remove the offending line in

/usr/lib/python3.4/site-packages/UnityTweakTool/section/spaghetti/gsettings.py

which is line 113:

touch = gnome('settings-daemon.peripherals.touchpad')

Obviously this should be fixed properly. Is https://github.com/chenxiaolong/Unity-for-Arch the correct repository to report this at?

The fix for this is located here:

https://github.com/chenxiaolong/Unity-f … issues/214

#2824 2015-07-29 16:37:59

HeavyHDx

Has anyone found a way yet to fix the keyboard-settings? Or at least some way to hide the keyboard-indicator in the top panel via the terminal?

#2825 2015-07-30 02:30:43

horsemanoffaith

HeavyHDx wrote:

Has anyone found a way yet to fix the keyboard-settings? Or at least some way to hide the keyboard-indicator in the top panel via the terminal?

I'm puzzling that one over, HeavyHDx, based on the link that I provided. I'm trying to figure out either how to install a schema or a key, but I haven't been very successful. The other idea I had was to do a symbolic link to the locations of the new keys, but the problem is I haven't been able to figure out where the schemas are pulled from. It's been a frustrating search. I'll let you know if I find anything that is helpful.

Board footer