You are not logged in.

#2826 2015-08-03 04:12:59

HeavyHDx

Re: Progress on Unity under Arch Linux!

Well, I found a way to disable the Keyboard-icon at least:

Install dconf-editor from the official repositories and launch it. Under com>canonical>indicator>appmenu>keyboard remove the checkmark from "visible".

#2827 2015-08-18 01:52:10

otoshan

Any idea how to fix to white cursor (Vanilla-DMZ)? Can i use keyboard layout alt+shift?

#2828 2015-08-18 02:51:25

HeavyHDx

You can use unity-tweak-tool to change the cursor and you can change the keyboard-layout via the indicator in the top panel.

#2829 2015-08-18 12:18:39

otoshan

Did you try because it doesn't works for me?

Last edited by otoshan (2015-08-18 12:18:49)

#2830 2015-08-18 12:42:05

HeavyHDx

I think you have to reboot for the changes to take effect. Could also be that it's just broken. I wonder when we'll get the update that fixes the keyboard and mouse settings.

#2831 2015-08-18 15:12:04

Silkworm205

I think LXappearance can set the cursor theme properly.

I think I know enough to know I don't know enough.

#2832 2015-08-19 11:53:59

sollidsnake

Global menus are gone in libreoffice 5.0. Anybody knows why and how it can be fixed?

Non serviam

#2833 2015-08-19 13:27:00

otoshan

Thank you Silkworm205. With LXappearance works after restart smile

#2834 2015-08-19 15:25:54

HeavyHDx

sollidsnake wrote:

Global menus are gone in libreoffice 5.0. Anybody knows why and how it can be fixed?

VLC as well.

#2835 2015-08-24 00:11:33

otoshan

Hello, what weather indicator you use in Unity, thanks?

#2836 2015-09-23 06:50:40

Wolfgang

I am having issues with bamf (What ever that is) here is a part of journalctl -u bamfwatcher: http://sprunge.us/JKiU
Can you either help me with my issue or give me the PKGBUILD so I can change the dependency and try and use a replacement from AUR?

#2837 2015-10-07 04:26:39

horsemanoffaith

Did a large update today, and now Unity is broken. Launcher and top bar are gone. I have Catalyst-test installed on my system, so I had to ignore linux and linux-headers packages, but that should not affect Unity. I can launch Nautilus, Firefox, google-chrome-stable, and CCSM with no warnings. When I try to enable the Unity plugin, I get some warnings, but nothing I do seems to make any difference. If I close CCSM, Unity still won't start, and if I restart CCSM, the Unity plugin is unchecked again. When I try to troubleshoot using Unity --advanced-debug, I see there is a warning- unity-panel-service:no process found. I'm not exactly sure how to proceed with troubleshooting here... can someone help?

More information... here's what I get when I try to start unity-panel-service:

(unity-panel-service:7863): Indicator-Appmenu-CRITICAL **: window_menu_model_new: assertion 'BAMF_IS_APPLICATION(app)' failed

(unity-panel-service:7863): Indicator-Appmenu-CRITICAL **: track_menus: assertion 'IS_WINDOW_MENU(menus)' failed

I tried downgrading bamf, but the version that I have stored locally is from February, so I don't think that's the issue... I'll keep digging.

Last edited by horsemanoffaith (2015-10-07 04:40:02)

#2838 2015-10-07 07:55:09

Silkworm205

horsemanoffaith wrote:

Did a large update today, and now Unity is broken. Launcher and top bar are gone. I have Catalyst-test installed on my system, so I had to ignore linux and linux-headers packages, but that should not affect Unity. I can launch Nautilus, Firefox, google-chrome-stable, and CCSM with no warnings. When I try to enable the Unity plugin, I get some warnings, but nothing I do seems to make any difference. If I close CCSM, Unity still won't start, and if I restart CCSM, the Unity plugin is unchecked again. When I try to troubleshoot using Unity --advanced-debug, I see there is a warning- unity-panel-service:no process found. I'm not exactly sure how to proceed with troubleshooting here... can someone help?

(unity-panel-service:7863): Indicator-Appmenu-CRITICAL **: window_menu_model_new: assertion 'BAMF_IS_APPLICATION(app)' failed

(unity-panel-service:7863): Indicator-Appmenu-CRITICAL **: track_menus: assertion 'IS_WINDOW_MENU(menus)' failed

I tried downgrading bamf, but the version that I have stored locally is from February, so I don't think that's the issue... I'll keep digging.

Try building bamf manually from the github repo. Hopefully it's just linked to outdated libraries.

I think I know enough to know I don't know enough.

#2839 2015-10-07 12:59:08

blaale

horsemanoffaith wrote:

I'm having what seems like an identical issue - except I use the open source ATI drivers.
Ubuntu unity plugin is disabled in CCSM, enabling it does not persist or have any effect.

#2840 2015-10-08 13:08:59

otoshan

Try building bamf manually from the github repo. Hopefully it's just linked to outdated libraries.

How can i building bamf manually, thanks?

#2841 2015-10-10 03:16:25

horsemanoffaith

Well, crap... Gnome 3.18 just moved to stable... Unity doesn't work at all now.

#2842 2015-10-18 09:23:10

horsemanoffaith

I haven't heard a response from anyone, so I don't know if that means that Unity is working for you... or that it isn't. I am currently in the process of building Unity from source, and I have 4 packages updated to the latest versions. I'm hoping to stumble onto whatever is screwing Unity up and get it back up and running again. Most of the information is simple changes in the PKGBUILD's that make Arch look for the most recent versions of the packages. If any of you have information that will help, I'd be very grateful.

Files that need updating: gtk2-ubuntu, gtk3-ubuntu, ido, libunity

That's as far as I've gotten so far... but I will post more information as I get further along in the process. One thing that I have found is that I'm not getting the warnings in CCSM that I was getting before when I check the Use Unity plugin box. That's a good thing... but we'll see if the good keeps coming!

#2843 2015-10-19 03:42:41

sb56637

@horsemanoffaith I've been waiting for a reply to your post too. smile So are these version errors that won't allow it to upgrade? Or are they incompatibilities with the new Gnome/GTK 3.18?

#2844 2015-10-19 05:08:24

horsemanoffaith

sb56637 wrote:

@horsemanoffaith I've been waiting for a reply to your post too. smile So are these version errors that won't allow it to upgrade? Or are they incompatibilities with the new Gnome/GTK 3.18?

I'm upgrading to the newest source packages, most of which are from the new Wily (Ubuntu 15.10) repos. When I upgraded my system to the Gnome 3.18 files, Unity wouldn't start at all... I'd just loop back to the login manager. Seems to me that the reason came down to gnome-desktop because of a missing library file. I can't remember which one right at the moment, but I'm sure I could remember which one if I tried hard enough. I downgraded gnome-desktop to the latest 3.16 version, copied the needed file, then upgraded back to 3.18. Right now I can at least log in, but all I have is the single icon on my desktop without the topbar and launcher. I've gone further on building Unity from source, but I've hit a snag on both gnome-screensaver-Ubuntu and unity settings daemon. Both PKGBUILDs have patches, but the patches are failing during the build. Unfortunately, I do not know how to fix the errors, and there's very little information I've been able to find to help me troubleshoot the issues. The good thing is that I've upgraded my system with all of the new files I've compiled from source, and they all seem to work. I have NOT rebuilt some of the packages because there are no new source packages available. Both the current gnome-screensaver-Ubuntu and unity-settings-daemon seem to work, but there may be version conflicts between those and the gnome 3.18 files that I am unaware of. Right now my biggest issue seems to be with unity-panel-service- for some reason it doesn't start when Unity starts. If I start unity-panel-service manually, it gives me critical errors, and one of those errors is a confirmed bug in Ubuntu that has not had a fix committed yet. If I can figure out how to fix the patch errors and get those packages building again, I'll do so, but there's not much reason for me to move on in the build process because they need to be built in a specific order. Right now I'm in a holding pattern until I can figure out what's wrong and fix it, or until someone can help me out. Perhaps Chenxiaolong will begin his fabulous work again soon!

#2845 2015-10-20 17:12:24

blaale

horsemanoffaith wrote:

I haven't heard a response from anyone, so I don't know if that means that Unity is working for you... or that it isn't. I am currently in the process of building Unity from source, and I have 4 packages updated to the latest versions. I'm hoping to stumble onto whatever is screwing Unity up and get it back up and running again. Most of the information is simple changes in the PKGBUILD's that make Arch look for the most recent versions of the packages. If any of you have information that will help, I'd be very grateful.

That's as far as I've gotten so far... but I will post more information as I get further along in the process. One thing that I have found is that I'm not getting the warnings in CCSM that I was getting before when I check the Use Unity plugin box. That's a good thing... but we'll see if the good keeps coming!

I don't know how much help this will be - but I attempted the same thing recently. I've since ran out of time and won't really be able to do anything on it for about a month.
I managed to update most unity packages with the exception of a few that failed to build (the unity package included) but that might be related to the build order.

Theres a few patches I had to disable or edit also and I quite frankly am not familiar enough with the unity source code to look into what patches might need to be added so the updated packages might not be 100%.

I can send you my working directory if you wish - I don't have the time to really pursue this for another month or two.

#2846 2015-10-22 06:09:22

carongangoo

Hi everybody !

I am trying since a couple of days to build gtk2-ubuntu from the unity-for-arch-master package I downloaded ( I am building  within a terminal on a user account  ).After a lllllloooooooooonnnngggggg 20 minutes " building", the Oc tells me " error 2 .cannot build () ." I am asking myself if this is because I constantly update with pacman -Syu and that gtk2-ubuntu isn't compatible.... can you help?
LONG LIVE TO ARCH !

Caron

#2847 2015-10-22 06:45:55

horsemanoffaith

blaale wrote:
horsemanoffaith wrote:

I don't know how much help this will be - but I attempted the same thing recently. I've since ran out of time and won't really be able to do anything on it for about a month.
I managed to update most unity packages with the exception of a few that failed to build (the unity package included) but that might be related to the build order.

Theres a few patches I had to disable or edit also and I quite frankly am not familiar enough with the unity source code to look into what patches might need to be added so the updated packages might not be 100%.

I can send you my working directory if you wish - I don't have the time to really pursue this for another month or two.

I spent a huge amount of time tonight working on a single package- gnome-screensaver-ubuntu. After a huge amount of fails, I was able to get it up and running on my system. I didn't patch files- what I ended up doing is editing the offending files, saving them to my Unity-for-Arch package directory, then telling the PKGBUILD to delete the files and replace them with the files that I edited. Three files failed the build, and I had to painstakingly find what the problems were and fix them. I DID get it to work, however, which I'm really excited about! After I loaded gnome-screensaver-ubuntu on my system, I've found that when I start CCSM now, I can check the Unity plugin box, and it doesn't come unchecked!!! YAY! Also, when I run unity-panel-service, it no longer gives me the errors that I spoke of in my earlier posts. I'm sure that someone else could figure out how to do it much faster and easier, but hey, that's the FIRST time I've build a package that I've edited on my own. I now have a separate issue, and that could very possibly be from the package I built tonight, but I'm going to keep trying to build packages and get them to work on my system. Perhaps I need to update all the files to get everything working properly, so I'm not really concerned about the terminals not opening where my mouse is (which is the issue I discovered). As far as you sending me your work, I'm not sure exactly what good it would do, because according to Chen's Github page, you have to build the packages in order. I built one package out of order, but I plan to downgrade that package, then rebuild it once I get back to it, just to make sure it correctly builds off the other packages I've already upgraded and install. As far as you sending me the work you've done, I have just one question first... are you building off the Wily repos? I understand that Wily is under development still and will probably have a lot of changes over the next few weeks, but I'm building everything off Wily, not Vivid. If you are, then it probably wouldn't hurt to see what you have. My e-mail is in my profile, so feel free to send it to me if you can send it via e-mail if you can.

Last edited by horsemanoffaith (2015-10-22 06:47:06)

#2848 2015-10-22 06:50:54

horsemanoffaith

carongangoo wrote:

Hi everybody !

I am trying since a couple of days to build gtk2-ubuntu from the unity-for-arch-master package I downloaded ( I am building  within a terminal on a user account  ).After a lllllloooooooooonnnngggggg 20 minutes " building", the Oc tells me " error 2 .cannot build () ." I am asking myself if this is because I constantly update with pacman -Syu and that gtk2-ubuntu isn't compatible.... can you help?
LONG LIVE TO ARCH !

Caron

Did you get the gtk2-ubuntu from Chenxiaolong's Github page? If you did, it should have built just fine... I built it not too long ago on my system. I had just updated my system before I built the package, so no, updating should NOT have caused the issue.

To answer your question any better, I need to see the output of your build so that I can see the errors. There may be something simple that is stopping the build, but the only way I'll know that is to see your output.

#2849 2015-10-25 15:57:30

zeppelinlg

Hi everyone
I'm trying to rebuild and update all the packages. I have succesfully rebuild the packages to dee-ubuntu.
I hope that will work :
https://github.com/zeppelinlg/Unity-for-Arch/

#2850 2015-10-26 05:10:00

carongangoo

Hi pals !

Thank you very much for your reply ! It's soooo good to see that you don't walk alone in the Linux especially the Archlinux world !
To make a brief, I have downloaded unity on the AUR and even on the Chenxiaolong's Github page and pasted it the user folder I want to install and activate the Unity Desktop.
To fully understand the situation, I am booting from an usb external drive where I installed Arch linux and I usually work with 2 users : 1 with GNOME DESKTOP environment and the other with the XFCE desktop. I upgrade with pacman -Syu, Syy, Suu almost everyday!
Now my challenge is to setup a third user with the UNITY desktop.Each time I try to build gtk2-ubuntu , I always end with " error in the build"-ESPECIALLY RECURSIVE ERROR.
I tried to build gtk2-ubuntu as root in a terminal for the third user . I tried also to log in  as the third user and build the package . I tried to modify the PKGBUILD file of gtk2-ubuntu .......NO BUILD .....!

I am now trying with the ZEPPELINLG updated packages ( THANK YOU SO MUCH AGAIN ) but still HORSEMANOF FAITH, i want to post you the output : how to I do this please ?

Regards from Mauritius Island

Caron

Last edited by carongangoo (2015-10-26 05:15:05)

Board footer