You are not logged in.

#376 2012-03-13 20:56:42

chenxiaolong

Re: Progress on Unity under Arch Linux!

Latest update instructions:

1. Update all packages.
2. Remove xorg-server-devel, xorg-server-utils, xorg-server-xdmx, xorg-server-xephyr, xorg-server-xnest, and xorg-server-xvfb.
3. Install inputproto, libx11, libxi, xorg-xinput, xorg-server, xorg-server-common, xf86-input-evdev, and xf86-input-synaptics (if you have a Synaptics/Alps touchpad).
4. Enjoy compiling less packages smile

#377 2012-03-14 00:08:22

chenxiaolong

Initial progress on ubuntu-tweak: it at least runs big_smile

Screenshot: http://ompldr.org/vZDE0YQ

#378 2012-03-14 00:09:03

giowck

Thanks for your work, this is great

#379 2012-03-14 11:30:44

kuglee

Thank for the update chenxiaolong!
Sadly unity is started to behaving badly on my machine. Indicators are reloading crazy and then crash. Also  when the launcher is set to autohide I can't unhide it.
http://pastebin.com/xgX0J24u

#380 2012-03-14 15:07:37

mr_comic
Website

chenxiaolong wrote:

While I saw your screenshot I noticed that my unity panel doesn't have the user name on it and it also doesn't show the date [also I don't have the video lens even though It's installed but it never bothered me]

#381 2012-03-14 17:43:58

chenxiaolong

kuglee wrote:

Thank for the update chenxiaolong!
Sadly unity is started to behaving badly on my machine. Indicators are reloading crazy and then crash. Also  when the launcher is set to autohide I can't unhide it.
http://pastebin.com/xgX0J24u

If you don't mind losing your Unity and Compiz settings, could you try resetting them (login to another DE first)?

rm -rv ~/.config/compiz-1
rm -rv ~/.compiz-1
rm -rv ~/.cache/compizconfig-1
rm -rv ~/.cache/unity
gconftool-2 --recursive-unset /apps/compiz-1
gconftool-2 --recursive-unset /apps/compizconfig-1
rm -rv ~/.gconf/apps/compiz-1
rm -rv ~/.gconf/apps/compizconfig-1

BTW, I'm also having the issue where the I can't unhide the launcher.

#382 2012-03-14 17:44:47

chenxiaolong

giowck wrote:

Thanks for your work, this is great

I'm glad you like it big_smile

#383 2012-03-14 17:46:15

chenxiaolong

mr_comic wrote:
chenxiaolong wrote:

While I saw your screenshot I noticed that my unity panel doesn't have the user name on it and it also doesn't show the date [also I don't have the video lens even though It's installed but it never bothered me]

Could you try recompiling indicator-datetime and indicator-session? I also had this issue for a while, but one of the updates must have fixed it.

If it still doesn't work, could you post your ~/.xsession-errors file?

#384 2012-03-14 17:50:45

chenxiaolong

Ubuntu Tweak is ported!

The PKGBUILD is available in the Unity-for-Arch-Extra git repo: https://github.com/chenxiaolong/Unity-for-Arch-Extra . The python-defer package from the same git repo needs to be installed first.

This version of Ubuntu Tweak has the apt related stuff removed and also anything that requires root (only the Login manager tweak). Ubuntu Tweak uses a PolicyKit API provided by the aptdaemon library, so I had to remove it.

And of course, the obligatory screenshots: https://imgur.com/a/OkWZo#0

#385 2012-03-14 17:54:32

mr_comic
Website

chenxiaolong wrote:
mr_comic wrote:
chenxiaolong wrote:

Could you try recompiling indicator-datetime and indicator-session? I also had this issue for a while, but one of the updates must have fixed it.

Date time is now working, session still not present.  [Oh God, D: I have like 10 .xsession-errors files. Which one should I pick?]

Edit: Reading the .xsession-errors file I found a "unity-panel-service: process not found" It's something too bad?

Last edited by mr_comic (2012-03-14 18:15:04)

#386 2012-03-14 19:03:47

chenxiaolong

mr_comic wrote:
chenxiaolong wrote:
mr_comic wrote:

Date time is now working, session still not present.  [Oh God, D: I have like 10 .xsession-errors files. Which one should I pick?]

Edit: Reading the .xsession-errors file I found a "unity-panel-service: process not found" It's something too bad?

Wow, that many? big_smile Since they are just log files, you can delete all of them and only one should be recreated when you login again.

"unity-panel-service: process not found" is not bad. Unity runs "killall unity-panel-service" every time it starts to kill off any previous instances of Unity (say if Unity hangs, and you need run "/usr/bin/unity" to reload it).

#387 2012-03-14 21:00:27

kuglee

I've deleted configs, created new user, still not good. I noticed, if I start a maximized application first, the indicators stay put (The indicators are not reloading when I get to the desktop).

Indicator-me only appeared for me when I installed lightdm, and maybe when I had more than one user account.

#388 2012-03-14 23:56:33

chenxiaolong

kuglee wrote:

I've deleted configs, created new user, still not good. I noticed, if I start a maximized application first, the indicators stay put (The indicators are not reloading when I get to the desktop).

Indicator-me only appeared for me when I installed lightdm, and maybe when I had more than one user account.

Hmm...I thought development for indicator-me stopped in Ubuntu 11.04. Anyway, could you try recompiling and reinstalling the following (in the order listed)?

libdbusmenu
libindicator
libindicate
libindicate-qt
libappindicator
bamf

and also any indicator-* packages you have installed (pacman -Q | grep indicator-).

#389 2012-03-15 11:26:31

kuglee

I've recompiled the packages, but nothing has changed.

Here's what I got from dmesg:
[  157.812388] unity-panel-ser[1239]: segfault at 20 ip 00007f98315d7b82 sp 00007fff012e98a8 error 4 in libglib-2.0.so.0.3120.0[7f983155d000+f2000]

I forgot that indicator-me was renamed indicator-session.

#390 2012-03-15 15:30:24

chenxiaolong

kuglee wrote:

I've recompiled the packages, but nothing has changed.

Here's what I got from dmesg:
[  157.812388] unity-panel-ser[1239]: segfault at 20 ip 00007f98315d7b82 sp 00007fff012e98a8 error 4 in libglib-2.0.so.0.3120.0[7f983155d000+f2000]

I forgot that indicator-me was renamed indicator-session.

Thanks to that error message, I was able to find the bug smile

http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?p=11762422
https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+sour … bug/956061

For now, the workaround is to remove the indicator-appmenu package.

#391 2012-03-15 15:49:47

kuglee

smile. At least it's not my system that's buggy.

#392 2012-03-16 19:40:23

mr_comic
Website

Should we change the unity's wiki page? I mean, it's pointing to install unity the old-AUR-based way.

#393 2012-03-17 01:22:49

chenxiaolong

mr_comic wrote:

Should we change the unity's wiki page? I mean, it's pointing to install unity the old-AUR-based way.

I think we should just post a link to this forum topic. City-Busz's packages in the AUR are follow the Arch way (least amount of patches to make the package work) and his packages work for Unity 2D. Also, all my work is based off of his, so I think it would be very impolite to remove the instructions on how to install his packages.

EDIT: By the way, City-Busz is a TU now, so we might see some Unity/Ayatana packages pop up in the Community repo smile

Last edited by chenxiaolong (2012-03-17 01:23:32)

#394 2012-03-17 05:36:37

mr_comic
Website

chenxiaolong wrote:

I think we should just post a link to this forum topic. City-Busz's packages in the AUR are follow the Arch way (least amount of patches to make the package work) and his packages work for Unity 2D. Also, all my work is based off of his, so I think it would be very impolite to remove the instructions on how to install his packages.

EDIT: By the way, City-Busz is a TU now, so we might see some Unity/Ayatana packages pop up in the Community repo smile

Yeah, that seems nice I though about it because of the people who arrive at this topic cause they tried to instal unity via AUR and failed, so the links seems like a nice option.

Also I don't quite know what's going on but since the X update installing everything required by unity breaks my system and I can enter to GDM but it fails to enter to any DE

#395 2012-03-17 06:52:05

chenxiaolong

mr_comic wrote:
chenxiaolong wrote:

Yeah, that seems nice I though about it because of the people who arrive at this topic cause they tried to instal unity via AUR and failed, so the links seems like a nice option.

Also I don't quite know what's going on but since the X update installing everything required by unity breaks my system and I can enter to GDM but it fails to enter to any DE

Good point. We can put a notice that says anyone what wants to install Unity 3D can visit this topic.

Could you post your ~/.xsession-errors file after trying to log in to Unity and another DE?

# From a TTY
# Login to Unity
cp ~/.xsession-errors ~/xsession-errors.unity
# Login to another DE
cp ~/.xsession-errors ~/xsession-errors.anotherde

Thanks!

#396 2012-03-17 14:27:53

mr_comic
Website

chenxiaolong wrote:

Could you post your ~/.xsession-errors file after trying to log in to Unity and another DE?

# From a TTY
# Login to Unity
# Login to another DE

Thanks!

Ok, leme install unity again and i'll post it also i'm almost sure the package that is causing the weird "icon-in-a-box" look is gdk-pixbuf2

#397 2012-03-17 17:04:41

chenxiaolong

mr_comic wrote:
chenxiaolong wrote:

# From a TTY
# Login to Unity
# Login to another DE

Thanks!

Ok, leme install unity again and i'll post it also i'm almost sure the package that is causing the weird "icon-in-a-box" look is gdk-pixbuf2

Yeah, unfortunately, we have to have the GNOME 3.2 and GNOME 3.3/3.4 mix to use the Ubuntu 12.04 Unity. Otherwise, we would have to revert back to the buggy Ubuntu 11.10 Unity sad

#398 2012-03-17 17:30:25

mr_comic
Website

chenxiaolong wrote:

Yeah, unfortunately, we have to have the GNOME 3.2 and GNOME 3.3/3.4 mix to use the Ubuntu 12.04 Unity. Otherwise, we would have to revert back to the buggy Ubuntu 11.10 Unity sad

About that I have a quick question, today afte uninstalling unity I switched to [gnome-unstable] repo that has 3.4beta2 on it. Should I revert before installing unity?

#399 2012-03-17 18:13:02

chenxiaolong

mr_comic wrote:
chenxiaolong wrote:

About that I have a quick question, today afte uninstalling unity I switched to [gnome-unstable] repo that has 3.4beta2 on it. Should I revert before installing unity?

Actually, if you don't mind testing, it should work better than GNOME 3.2 smile Ubuntu 12.04 is already at GNOME 3.4beta2.

#400 2012-03-18 08:14:49

mr_comic
Website

chenxiaolong wrote:

Actually, if you don't mind testing, it should work better than GNOME 3.2 smile Ubuntu 12.04 is already at GNOME 3.4beta2.

Awesome, I'll test it smile Any advice or package chang while doing this? Also if there's any way I could help with Unity I'll help smile

make[4]: se ingresa al directorio `/home/palahjunkie/Unity-for-Arch/libappindicator/src/libappindicator-0.4.91/build-gtk2/bindings/vala/examples'
/usr/bin/valac --pkg appindicator-0.1 --vapidir=../../../bindings/vala --save-temps -C ../../../../bindings/vala/examples/indicator-example.vala -o indicator-example.c
../../../../bindings/vala/examples/indicator-example.vala:42.18-42.21: error: `Menu' is an ambiguous reference between `GLib.Menu' and `Gtk.Menu'
		var menu = new Menu();
		               ^^^^
../../../../bindings/vala/examples/indicator-example.vala:44.18-44.25: error: `MenuItem' is an ambiguous reference between `GLib.MenuItem' and `Gtk.MenuItem'
		var item = new MenuItem.with_label("Foo");
		               ^^^^^^^^
../../../../bindings/vala/examples/indicator-example.vala:44.7-44.43: error: var declaration not allowed with non-typed initializer
		var item = new MenuItem.with_label("Foo");
		    ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
../../../../bindings/vala/examples/indicator-example.vala:45.3-45.6: error: The name `item' does not exist in the context of `IndicatorExample.main'
		item.activate.connect(() => {
		^^^^
../../../../bindings/vala/examples/indicator-example.vala:48.3-48.6: error: The name `item' does not exist in the context of `IndicatorExample.main'
		item.show();
		^^^^
../../../../bindings/vala/examples/indicator-example.vala:49.15-49.18: error: The name `item' does not exist in the context of `IndicatorExample.main'
		menu.append(item);
		            ^^^^
../../../../bindings/vala/examples/indicator-example.vala:51.13-51.16: error: The name `item' does not exist in the context of `IndicatorExample.main'
		var bar = item = new MenuItem.with_label("Bar");
		          ^^^^
../../../../bindings/vala/examples/indicator-example.vala:51.7-51.49: error: var declaration not allowed with non-typed initializer
		var bar = item = new MenuItem.with_label("Bar");
		    ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
../../../../bindings/vala/examples/indicator-example.vala:52.3-52.6: error: The name `item' does not exist in the context of `IndicatorExample.main'
		item.show();
		^^^^
../../../../bindings/vala/examples/indicator-example.vala:53.3-53.6: error: The name `item' does not exist in the context of `IndicatorExample.main'
		item.activate.connect(() => {
		^^^^
../../../../bindings/vala/examples/indicator-example.vala:56.15-56.18: error: The name `item' does not exist in the context of `IndicatorExample.main'
		menu.append(item);
		            ^^^^
../../../../bindings/vala/examples/indicator-example.vala:58.22-58.25: error: Argument 1: Cannot convert from `GLib.Menu' to `Gtk.Menu?'
		indicator.set_menu(menu);
		                   ^^^^
../../../../bindings/vala/examples/indicator-example.vala:59.43-59.45: error: The name `bar' does not exist in the context of `IndicatorExample.main'
		indicator.set_secondary_activate_target(bar);
		                                        ^^^
Compilation failed: 13 error(s), 0 warning(s)
make[4]: *** [indicator-example.c] Error 1
make[4]: se sale del directorio `/home/palahjunkie/Unity-for-Arch/libappindicator/src/libappindicator-0.4.91/build-gtk2/bindings/vala/examples'
make[3]: *** [all-recursive] Error 1
make[3]: se sale del directorio `/home/palahjunkie/Unity-for-Arch/libappindicator/src/libappindicator-0.4.91/build-gtk2/bindings/vala'
make[2]: *** [all-recursive] Error 1
make[2]: se sale del directorio `/home/palahjunkie/Unity-for-Arch/libappindicator/src/libappindicator-0.4.91/build-gtk2/bindings'
make[1]: *** [all-recursive] Error 1
make[1]: se sale del directorio `/home/palahjunkie/Unity-for-Arch/libappindicator/src/libappindicator-0.4.91/build-gtk2'
make: *** [all] Error 2
==> ERROR: Se produjo un error en build().
    Cancelando...

Error compiling libappindicator

make[4]: se ingresa al directorio `/home/palahjunkie/Unity-for-Arch/mutter-ubuntu/src/mutter-3.2.2/src'
  CC     async-getprop.lo
  CC     bell.lo
  CC     boxes.lo
  CC     cogl-utils.lo
  CC     compositor.lo
  CC     meta-background-actor.lo
compositor/meta-background-actor.c: In function 'meta_background_actor_update':
compositor/meta-background-actor.c:542:7: warning: passing argument 1 of 'cogl_texture_pixmap_x11_new' makes pointer from integer without a cast [enabled by default]
/usr/include/cogl/cogl/cogl-texture-pixmap-x11.h:102:1: note: expected 'struct CoglContext *' but argument is of type 'Pixmap'
compositor/meta-background-actor.c:542:7: error: too few arguments to function 'cogl_texture_pixmap_x11_new'
/usr/include/cogl/cogl/cogl-texture-pixmap-x11.h:102:1: note: declared here
make[4]: *** [meta-background-actor.lo] Error 1
make[4]: se sale del directorio `/home/palahjunkie/Unity-for-Arch/mutter-ubuntu/src/mutter-3.2.2/src'
make[3]: *** [all-recursive] Error 1
make[3]: se sale del directorio `/home/palahjunkie/Unity-for-Arch/mutter-ubuntu/src/mutter-3.2.2/src'
make[2]: *** [all] Error 2
make[2]: se sale del directorio `/home/palahjunkie/Unity-for-Arch/mutter-ubuntu/src/mutter-3.2.2/src'
make[1]: *** [all-recursive] Error 1
make[1]: se sale del directorio `/home/palahjunkie/Unity-for-Arch/mutter-ubuntu/src/mutter-3.2.2'
make: *** [all] Error 2
==> ERROR: Se produjo un error en build().
    Cancelando...

and mutter-ubuntu [hahahahaha sad found a AUR package (muffin-git) which has the same error and it's cause I use gnome-unstable cause of the new version of cogl]

Last edited by mr_comic (2012-03-18 16:33:25)

Board footer