You are not logged in.

#601 2012-06-03 20:52:14

chenxiaolong

Re: Progress on Unity under Arch Linux!

Red_Raven wrote:

aight! thanks pal! i'll play around with it for a moment.

No problem! I hope you have fun with it smile

#602 2012-06-09 11:33:02

flamelab

pekmop1024 wrote:

http://unity.xe-xe.org/ for those who wants to try but did not want to build smile

Could you add most "unity" packages in a "unity" group so that they'll be installed all along with their dependencies ? I followed the simple guidelines on the site, but most packages weren't downloaded/installed tongue

#603 2012-06-09 15:33:00

chenxiaolong

flamelab wrote:
pekmop1024 wrote:

http://unity.xe-xe.org/ for those who wants to try but did not want to build smile

Could you add most "unity" packages in a "unity" group so that they'll be installed all along with their dependencies ? I followed the simple guidelines on the site, but most packages weren't downloaded/installed tongue

I originally added certain packages to the "unity" group, so that if the group is removed, there wouldn't be any dependency problems. If I added all the packages, any someone decides that he/she decides to remove unity, the system would be left broken (without Xorg, GNOME, etc.) big_smile

I can, however, add all the packages to another group, like "unity-environment" smile It's a bit too long though, any suggestions?

#604 2012-06-09 19:25:23

kuglee

flamelab wrote:
pekmop1024 wrote:

You can always use "pacman -S $(pacman -Slq repo)" command.

#605 2012-06-12 22:38:48

andy_v

Just wanted to say a big thank you to chenxiaolong for writing and maintaining the PKGBUILDs for Unity and all the other projects! smile

Unity, Unity-2D, Compiz - all work well on my system! Some packages failed to compile for some reason ('gtk3-ubuntu' and 'unity-lens-video'), but I checked the date of upload/commit to the git repo against that in http://unity.xe-xe.org/x86_64 and decided to download the packages from http://unity.xe-xe.org/x86_64. It was quite late already and I forgot to copy the outputs of makepkg hmm, although I believe the error in 'unity-lens-video's case had something to do with setup.py not executing properly. Might have been an issue with some unmet dependencies or a broken package (python2?) on my system, though I believe I used the '-s' option with makepkg. Then again, it was late and I was kind of sleepy at that point. big_smile

I have an AMD HD5830 graphics card and I use their proprietary driver, so I went with 'xorg-server-ubuntu-1.11' first. I had to edit the PKGBUILDs for 'unity' and 'unity-2d', since they both depend on 'xorg-server>=1.12.0-100'. The packages compiled and installed perfectly, but for some reason the input devices failed to work after I had rebooted the system. Luckily the Catalyst 12.6 beta works well with xorg-server-1.12, so I compiled and installed 'xorg-server-ubuntu' instead and recompiled/reinstalled 'unity' and 'unity-2d'. Now everything's just fine and dandy! big_smile

#606 2012-06-13 06:20:55

chenxiaolong

andy_v wrote:

Just wanted to say a big thank you to chenxiaolong for writing and maintaining the PKGBUILDs for Unity and all the other projects! smile

You're welcome! I'm glad you enjoy it smile

andy_v wrote:

Unity, Unity-2D, Compiz - all work well on my system! Some packages failed to compile for some reason ('gtk3-ubuntu' and 'unity-lens-video'), but I checked the date of upload/commit to the git repo against that in http://unity.xe-xe.org/x86_64 and decided to download the packages from http://unity.xe-xe.org/x86_64. It was quite late already and I forgot to copy the outputs of makepkg hmm, although I believe the error in 'unity-lens-video's case had something to do with setup.py not executing properly. Might have been an issue with some unmet dependencies or a broken package (python2?) on my system, though I believe I used the '-s' option with makepkg. Then again, it was late and I was kind of sleepy at that point. big_smile

I'll see if I can reproduce the gtk3-ubuntu issue. As for unity-lens-video, well...let's just say I'm not very experienced with python, but I'll definitely take a look at it smile

andy_v wrote:

I have an AMD HD5830 graphics card and I use their proprietary driver, so I went with 'xorg-server-ubuntu-1.11' first. I had to edit the PKGBUILDs for 'unity' and 'unity-2d', since they both depend on 'xorg-server>=1.12.0-100'. The packages compiled and installed perfectly, but for some reason the input devices failed to work after I had rebooted the system. Luckily the Catalyst 12.6 beta works well with xorg-server-1.12, so I compiled and installed 'xorg-server-ubuntu' instead and recompiled/reinstalled 'unity' and 'unity-2d'. Now everything's just fine and dandy! big_smile

I'm assuming that's because the Xorg drivers in the Arch repository are compiled for xorg-server 1.12. And as always, if you find any problems, feel free to post them here tongue

EDIT: I didn't realize how many smiley faces were in this post smile (and there's one more)

Last edited by chenxiaolong (2012-06-13 06:22:36)

#607 2012-06-13 12:31:31

blue

hey,

i tried to install unity via repository, but after successfull installation and reboot, unity does not start
Is there something like a log where i could find some errors?
thx

by the way, next i tried to compile some unity dependency packages from github and at gtk2-ubuntu i got an error

makepkg
==> Erstelle Paket: gtk2-ubuntu 2.24.10.0ubuntu6-101 (Mi 13. Jun 12:23:31 UTC 2012)
==> Prüfe Laufzeit-Abhängigkeiten...
==> Prüfe Buildtime-Abhängigkeiten...
==> Empfange Quellen...
  -> gtk+-2.24.10.tar.xz gefunden
  -> gtk+2.0_2.24.10-0ubuntu6.debian.tar.gz gefunden
  -> xid-collision-debug.patch gefunden
  -> fix-ubuntumenuproxy-build.patch gefunden
==> Überprüfe Gültigkeit der Quell-Dateien mit sha512sums...
    gtk+-2.24.10.tar.xz ... Durchgelaufen
    gtk+2.0_2.24.10-0ubuntu6.debian.tar.gz ... Durchgelaufen
    xid-collision-debug.patch ... Durchgelaufen
    fix-ubuntumenuproxy-build.patch ... Durchgelaufen
==> Entpacke Quellen...
  -> Entpacke gtk+-2.24.10.tar.xz mit bsdtar 
  -> Entpacke gtk+2.0_2.24.10-0ubuntu6.debian.tar.gz mit bsdtar 
==> Entferne existierendes pkg/ Verzeichnis...
==> Beginne build()...
patching file gdk/x11/gdkxid.c
patching file gtk/gtkmenushell.h
patching file gtk/gtkfilesel.c
The next patch would create the file gtk/stock-icons/ximian-icons.h,
which already exists!  Skipping patch.
1 out of 1 hunk ignored
==> FEHLER: Ein Fehler geschah in build().
    Breche ab ...

nevertheless, its a great project !

#608 2012-06-13 14:42:54

quiro91

hey guys, Does this work properly? I really would like to try it

#609 2012-06-13 15:28:20

chenxiaolong

blue wrote:

hey,

i tried to install unity via repository, but after successfull installation and reboot, unity does not start
Is there something like a log where i could find some errors?
thx

by the way, next i tried to compile some unity dependency packages from github and at gtk2-ubuntu i got an error

gtk2-ubuntu build output

nevertheless, its a great project !

Thanks smile Could you log in to the Unity session and then post the ~/.xsession-errors log? It should contain any error messages that happen during the login process.

As for gtk2-ubuntu, you should be able to build after removing the src/ and pkg/ directories:

rm -rvf pkg/ src/

#610 2012-06-13 21:28:33

phinux

chenxiaolong, you are a hero!

I'd like to verify andy_v's experience: gtk3-ubuntu and unity-lens-video both failed to compile for me.  I've lost the error messages, but I'm rebuilding them right now.  Are there any log files that would be helpful diagnosing the problem?

I also had to build fixesproto-ubuntu, libxfixes-ubuntu, and xorg-server-ubuntu before installing gtk2-ubuntu and gtk3-ubuntu to avoid getting an error message:

gtk-query-immodules-2.0: error while loading shared libraries: libXfixes.so.3: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory

Once I got Unity-2D running I ran into an issue where I couldn't open the system settings, but the following seemed to work:

$ MALLOC_CHECK_=1 gnome-control-center

So I've added

export MALLOC_CHECK_=1

to my ~/.xprofile and this seems to fix the problem.

The only issue I have right now is an inability to get the power indicator to run (I'm on a netbook, so this is kind of important...).  I'm not quite sure where to start on this one.  Thoughts?

#611 2012-06-13 22:26:54

phinux

Here's where the error shows up when building gtk3-ubuntu

make  install-exec-hook
make[5]: Entering directory `/home/--/Unity-for-Arch/gtk3-ubuntu/src/gtk+-3.4.1/gtk'
/bin/sh ../sanitize-la.sh /home/--/Unity-for-Arch/gtk3-ubuntu/pkg/usr/lib/libgtk-3.la
make[5]: Leaving directory `/home/--/Unity-for-Arch/gtk3-ubuntu/src/gtk+-3.4.1/gtk'
/home/--/Unity-for-Arch/gtk3-ubuntu/pkg/usr/share/themes/Default/gtk-3.0
make[4]: /home/--/Unity-for-Arch/gtk3-ubuntu/pkg/usr/share/themes/Default/gtk-3.0: Command not found
make[4]: *** [install-data-local] Error 127
make[4]: Leaving directory `/home/--/Unity-for-Arch/gtk3-ubuntu/src/gtk+-3.4.1/gtk'
make[3]: *** [install-am] Error 2
make[3]: Leaving directory `/home/--/Unity-for-Arch/gtk3-ubuntu/src/gtk+-3.4.1/gtk'
make[2]: *** [install-recursive] Error 1
make[2]: Leaving directory `/home/--/Unity-for-Arch/gtk3-ubuntu/src/gtk+-3.4.1/gtk'
make[1]: *** [install] Error 2
make[1]: Leaving directory `/home/--/Unity-for-Arch/gtk3-ubuntu/src/gtk+-3.4.1/gtk'
make: *** [install-recursive] Error 1
==> ERROR: A failure occurred in package().
    Aborting...

#612 2012-06-13 23:12:36

chenxiaolong

phinux wrote:

chenxiaolong, you are a hero!

I'd like to verify andy_v's experience: gtk3-ubuntu and unity-lens-video both failed to compile for me.  I've lost the error messages, but I'm rebuilding them right now.  Are there any log files that would be helpful diagnosing the problem?

I also had to build fixesproto-ubuntu, libxfixes-ubuntu, and xorg-server-ubuntu before installing gtk2-ubuntu and gtk3-ubuntu to avoid getting an error message:

gtk-query-immodules-2.0: error while loading shared libraries: libXfixes.so.3: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory

Hmm...that's strange. The regular libxfixes package contains the libXfixes.so.3 file in /usr/lib, just like libxfixes-ubuntu.

phinux wrote:

Once I got Unity-2D running I ran into an issue where I couldn't open the system settings, but the following seemed to work:

$ MALLOC_CHECK_=1 gnome-control-center

So I've added

export MALLOC_CHECK_=1

to my ~/.xprofile and this seems to fix the problem.

Thanks! I'll that that to the README file smile

phinux wrote:

The only issue I have right now is an inability to get the power indicator to run (I'm on a netbook, so this is kind of important...).  I'm not quite sure where to start on this one.  Thoughts?

Could you post the package list for indicator-power

pacman -Ql indicator-power

and also the ~/.xsession-errors log?

#613 2012-06-13 23:38:12

phinux

chenxiaolong wrote:

Hmm...that's strange. The regular libxfixes package contains the libXfixes.so.3 file in /usr/lib, just like libxfixes-ubuntu.

It's entirely possible that I didn't have the regular libxfixes installed to begin with.

chenxiaolong wrote:

$ pacman -Ql indicator-power
indicator-power /usr/
indicator-power /usr/lib/
indicator-power /usr/lib/indicators3/
indicator-power /usr/lib/indicators3/7/
indicator-power /usr/lib/indicators3/7/libpower.so
indicator-power /usr/share/
indicator-power /usr/share/glib-2.0/
indicator-power /usr/share/glib-2.0/schemas/
indicator-power /usr/share/glib-2.0/schemas/com.canonical.indicator.power.gschema.xml

~/.xsession-errors

#614 2012-06-13 23:41:59

chenxiaolong

gtk3-ubuntu and unity-lens-video can build correctly now big_smile

gtk3 had a problem in the build system where the "mkdir_p" variable was undefined, so instead of creating a directory, it tried running the directory as a command.

unity-lens-video just depended on the wrong python-distutils-extra package (python 3 instead of python 2).

#615 2012-06-13 23:50:55

chenxiaolong

phinux wrote:
chenxiaolong wrote:

It's entirely possible that I didn't have the regular libxfixes installed to begin with.

chenxiaolong wrote:

$ pacman -Ql indicator-power
indicator-power /usr/
indicator-power /usr/lib/
indicator-power /usr/lib/indicators3/
indicator-power /usr/lib/indicators3/7/
indicator-power /usr/lib/indicators3/7/libpower.so
indicator-power /usr/share/
indicator-power /usr/share/glib-2.0/
indicator-power /usr/share/glib-2.0/schemas/
indicator-power /usr/share/glib-2.0/schemas/com.canonical.indicator.power.gschema.xml

~/.xsession-errors

Hmm...I'm not sure then. I just tried logging into Unity 2D and it seems that nothing useful is logged. Do you know if the power indicator works in Unity 3D? Also, if you open dconf-editor, does "com->canonical->indicator->power->icon-policy" say "present"?

#616 2012-06-14 00:07:03

phinux

chenxiaolong wrote:

Hmm...I'm not sure then. I just tried logging into Unity 2D and it seems that nothing useful is logged. Do you know if the power indicator works in Unity 3D? Also, if you open dconf-editor, does "com->canonical->indicator->power->icon-policy" say "present"?

Nope, it doesn't show up in Unity 3D either.  And it does say "present" in dconf-editor.  The xsession-errors log is similarly unhelpful.

I'm not sure if this is helpful or not, but it looks like indicator-multiload segfaults when I try to run it from the terminal.

$ indicator-multiload      
/usr/share/indicator-multiload/preferences.ui

** (indicator-multiload:6431): CRITICAL **: multi_load_indicator_construct: assertion `datadirectory != NULL' failed

** (indicator-multiload:6431): CRITICAL **: multi_load_indicator_add_icon_data: assertion `IS_MULTI_LOAD_INDICATOR (self)' failed

** (indicator-multiload:6431): CRITICAL **: multi_load_indicator_add_icon_data: assertion `IS_MULTI_LOAD_INDICATOR (self)' failed

** (indicator-multiload:6431): CRITICAL **: multi_load_indicator_get_icon_datas: assertion `IS_MULTI_LOAD_INDICATOR (self)' failed
[1]    6431 segmentation fault  indicator-multiload

#617 2012-06-14 00:25:22

chenxiaolong

phinux wrote:
chenxiaolong wrote:

Nope, it doesn't show up in Unity 3D either.  And it does say "present" in dconf-editor.  The xsession-errors log is similarly unhelpful.

I'm not sure if this is helpful or not, but it looks like indicator-multiload segfaults when I try to run it from the terminal.

$ indicator-multiload      
/usr/share/indicator-multiload/preferences.ui

** (indicator-multiload:6431): CRITICAL **: multi_load_indicator_construct: assertion `datadirectory != NULL' failed

** (indicator-multiload:6431): CRITICAL **: multi_load_indicator_get_icon_datas: assertion `IS_MULTI_LOAD_INDICATOR (self)' failed
[1]    6431 segmentation fault  indicator-multiload

The indicator-multiload crash seems to be an upstream bug that happens in Ubuntu too: https://answers.launchpad.net/indicator … ion/189960

Unfortunately, I don't know of a way to find out how indicator-power crashes sad

EDIT: As a temporary workaround, you could try disabling appindicator support and use the regular systray icons instead. You can do this by recompiling gnome-settings-daemon like this:

/path/to/Unity-for-Arch
cp -rv gnome-settings-daemon-ubuntu/ gnome-settings-daemon-ubuntu.systray/
cd gnome-settings-daemon-ubuntu.systray/
sed -i 's|./configure|./configure --enable-appindicator=no|' PKGBUILD
makepkg -si

Last edited by chenxiaolong (2012-06-14 00:36:20)

#618 2012-06-14 19:22:41

quiro91

I'm getting an error installing compiz-decorator-gtk-devel, should I install compiz-decorator-gtk instead? I can't find compizconfig-backend-gconf-devel too

Last edited by quiro91 (2012-06-14 19:48:52)

#619 2012-06-14 23:24:02

qiuwei

Can't get ibus to work here.
IBus-indicator never shows up. If I do ibus-daemon -rd after login, the indicator would show up. However, I can only input in GTK applications.
Another annoying thing, in most of gtk applications, the gtk-error-bell is used. So my laptop often beeps when a type error is made.

#620 2012-06-14 23:48:47

oldtimeyjunk
Website

qiuwei wrote:

...in most of gtk applications, the gtk-error-bell is used. So my laptop often beeps when a type error is made.

Download "gnome-alsa-mixer" from the repo. From there, you can slide the "Beep" slider to zero, which will turn off that horrid beep.

Not sure if you can do this in Unity's volume control... it's been a while since I've used Ubuntu.

"... being a Linux user is sort of like living in a house inhabited by a large family of carpenters and architects. Every morning when you wake up, the house is a little different. Maybe there is a new turret, or some walls have moved. Or perhaps someone has temporarily removed the floor under your bed." - Unix for Dummies, 2nd Edition

#621 2012-06-15 00:40:31

chenxiaolong

qiuwei wrote:

IBus-indicator never shows up. If I do ibus-daemon -rd after login, the indicator would show up. However, I can only input in GTK applications.
Another annoying thing, in most of gtk applications, the gtk-error-bell is used. So my laptop often beeps when a type error is made.

You should be able to get the ibus indicator by installing my ibus-ubuntu package in the AUR. For Qt applications, just install ibus-qt.

As for the beep issue, just run "alsamixer", press F6, choose your sound card, find the "Beep" meter, press M, press Escape, then run "alsactl store" as root.

Hope this helps smile

#622 2012-06-15 05:48:03

qiuwei

chenxiaolong wrote:
qiuwei wrote:

You should be able to get the ibus indicator by installing my ibus-ubuntu package in the AUR. For Qt applications, just install ibus-qt.

As for the beep issue, just run "alsamixer", press F6, choose your sound card, find the "Beep" meter, press M, press Escape, then run "alsactl store" as root.

Hope this helps :)

Thanks.

I thought it was a problem related to unity, since there is no beep under gnome or KDE. The alsamixer workaround doesn't work for me. Then I removed pcspkr module. Now it works like a charm.

It was problem with the starting method of ibus. It seems the system default way is to start it using gnome-session-properties. It doesn't work for me with both ibus and ibus-ubuntu. But now it works after I put it into .profile.
Anyway, ibus-ubuntu's indicator looks much better than the original one. The space between icons is equal now.

Thank you, chenxiaolong. Excellent work:) For me unity is more mature and the user experience is now better than gnome, cinnamon, KDE. Hope your work can be merged into the official repository.

#623 2012-06-17 15:24:57

qiuwei

One tweak to make it more "arch"

Put this line in the PKGBUILD

sed -i "78s/Ubuntu/Archlinux/" plugins/unityshell/src/PanelMenuView.cpp 

Then unity will show "Archlinux Desktop" instead of "Ubuntu Desktop" on the panel. smile

#624 2012-06-17 19:06:00

chenxiaolong

qiuwei wrote:

Thank you, chenxiaolong. Excellent work:) For me unity is more mature and the user experience is now better than gnome, cinnamon, KDE. Hope your work can be merged into the official repository.

You're welcome! I hope you enjoy it smile I don't think Unity will ever be in the official repository until all the patches are accepted upstream though.

qiuwei wrote:

One tweak to make it more "arch"

Put this line in the PKGBUILD

sed -i "78s/Ubuntu/Archlinux/" plugins/unityshell/src/PanelMenuView.cpp 

Then unity will show "Archlinux Desktop" instead of "Ubuntu Desktop" on the panel. smile

Done big_smile

#625 2012-06-20 03:22:21

pekmop1024
Website

http://unity.xe-xe.org repo is rebuilt today with fresh Arch environment.
thanks again for pkgbuilds, chenxiaolong smile

ArchLinux x86_64 (passively cooled): Xeon E3 1230v2 - 32GB - GTX1050Ti KalmX - Samsung 850 EVO 1TB - 3x2TB Seagate - Creative X-Fi Titanium - Cheiftec GPS-500C
ArchLinux x86_64 (FrankenPad T420): i7 2720QM - 16GB - NVS 4200M - Samsung 840 EVO 1TB - FullHD IPS mod - Intel 7260AC - Sierra Wireless MC7304

Board footer