You are not logged in.

#1026 2012-09-18 14:45:53

b9anders

Re: Progress on Unity under Arch Linux!

any idea when features like this will hit us archers?

Ubuntu 12.10 to Feature Innovative Web App Integration

Never thought I'd say this, but I am actually considering moving to Ubuntu. It's genuinely progressive and has loads of apps and features you just can't get outside of their ecosystem (or not very easily, for average joe users like me). Just discovered everpad which looks like the note program I've been waiting for for a long time.

I'd probably end up cursing the lag and resource-creep and how it discourages personal control, but it sure is looking tastier and tastier these days.

#1027 2012-09-18 14:59:21

oi_wtf

chenxiaolong wrote:

That's weird. I have the Ubuntu help patch disabled for nautilus-ubuntu. Is the same menu shown when a nautilus window is focused?

No, just normal nautilus help, like "Search for files" or "sorting files", an About-dialog, etc...

Laptop:   Arch Linux (x86_64) and Win10 (x86_64);  Intel Core i7-3630QM @ 2.40GHz, 8 GiB RAM, NViDiA GeForce GT 650M w/ 2 GiB
Desktop: Arch Linux (x86_64) and Win10 (x86_64);  Intel Core i7-4771  @ 3.50GHz, 32 GiB RAM, AMD Radeon RX 480 w/ 8 GiB

#1028 2012-09-18 16:13:38

chenxiaolong

franzor wrote:
chenxiaolong wrote:

Thanks for the information! I'll add metacity-ubuntu to the compiz conflicts array in its PKGBUILD, so that they cannot be installed together smile If you'd like me to add this to the README as well, I can do that.

franzor wrote:

Btw Chenxiaolong if you want to put out precompiled packages I can give you some webspace! (just mail me!)

Thanks for the offer! pekmop1024 is already hosting a repo for Unity-for-Arch and he is usually very quick to update the packages (and sometimes updates them before I do big_smile).

Oh and thank you so much for all the work you are putting into this, i love archlinux and the unity DE is my favourite, wasnt quite sure what to put on my new pc... (ubuntu/arch) you made the decision clear!

thanks a lot

I'm glad you enjoy Unity on Arch! big_smile

#1029 2012-09-18 16:15:09

chenxiaolong

oi_wtf wrote:
chenxiaolong wrote:

That's weird. I have the Ubuntu help patch disabled for nautilus-ubuntu. Is the same menu shown when a nautilus window is focused?

No, just normal nautilus help, like "Search for files" or "sorting files", an About-dialog, etc...

Ahh...I can see it now. I accidentally had Linux Mint's nautilus fork running and that was drawing my desktop, instead of nautilus.

EDIT: "Ubuntu Help" removed smile

Last edited by chenxiaolong (2012-09-18 16:53:01)

#1030 2012-09-18 16:45:13

kladd

Before there was a problem with Ambiance and Radiance themes not working "gtk-window-decorator theme 'Ambiance' not found" (or some similar error) which was solved by installing metacity-ubuntu. Now that extra/metacity is the necessary package for window decorations is there a more recent fix for the two Ubuntu themes? I do have both themes installed as well.

#1031 2012-09-18 16:56:18

chenxiaolong

kladd wrote:

Before there was a problem with Ambiance and Radiance themes not working "gtk-window-decorator theme 'Ambiance' not found" (or some similar error) which was solved by installing metacity-ubuntu. Now that extra/metacity is the necessary package for window decorations is there a more recent fix for the two Ubuntu themes? I do have both themes installed as well.

Unfortunately, Compiz is no longer compatible with the metacity-ubuntu in the AUR. franzor found that this was due to an API (or is it ABI?) change.

Ubuntu's developers probably already know about this as they haven't updated to Compiz 0.9.8.2 yet.

#1032 2012-09-18 16:59:09

chenxiaolong

BKLive wrote:

I have some system hangs with unity lens. Specifically, I will minimize/unminimize a window to the tool bar (left) and a flickering right arrow will show, followed by sluggish behavior. This will cause unity to hang indefinitely, especially if I open the lense while that arrow flickers.

Also, in Ubuntu the desktop is the default 'window' that the unity shell decorates. So if there is no program open, the top bar will show desktop menus. This isn't happening after I open a window. The last window is the menu bar that will remain until I open another.

The flickering bug has just been fixed in the upstream bzr repository. I'll see if I can backport the patch to Compiz 0.9.8.2.

EDIT: Fixed smile

Last edited by chenxiaolong (2012-09-18 17:07:10)

#1033 2012-09-18 19:40:49

oddfox
Website

chenxiaolong wrote:
BKLive wrote:

I have some system hangs with unity lens. Specifically, I will minimize/unminimize a window to the tool bar (left) and a flickering right arrow will show, followed by sluggish behavior. This will cause unity to hang indefinitely, especially if I open the lense while that arrow flickers.

Also, in Ubuntu the desktop is the default 'window' that the unity shell decorates. So if there is no program open, the top bar will show desktop menus. This isn't happening after I open a window. The last window is the menu bar that will remain until I open another.

The flickering bug has just been fixed in the upstream bzr repository. I'll see if I can backport the patch to Compiz 0.9.8.2.

The flickering is definitely fixed but now there seems to be a new issue rising.  When the Unredirect option is on it's very likely that animations and transitions don't happen gracefully.  I'm left with artifacts of other windows not going away when I attempt to minimize them, it's kind of like there's a redraw that never happened and only happens with some prodding by, say, attempting to move the window around by grabbing it from the top Unity bar.  When the Unredirect option is off, I still get occasional redrawing issues.  Screen content that was there shows up momentarily and then is gone again.  Really strange stuff and kind of disorienting!  Anyways, another detail is that when Unredirect is enabled things like Expo/Overview/etc don't show up at all.  I can't click the icons on the Unity panel to switch between multiple windows of the same app because the screen doesn't render the scale-down overview.  I can tell that my input was accepted, but there's nothing drawn, whatever window was open and visible stays open and visible.  I'm trying to hunt down any related bug report right now on Launchpad but haven't had success just yet.

Last edited by oddfox (2012-09-18 19:53:22)

#1034 2012-09-18 21:17:33

chenxiaolong

b9anders wrote:

any idea when features like this will hit us archers?

Ubuntu 12.10 to Feature Innovative Web App Integration

Never thought I'd say this, but I am actually considering moving to Ubuntu. It's genuinely progressive and has loads of apps and features you just can't get outside of their ecosystem (or not very easily, for average joe users like me). Just discovered everpad which looks like the note program I've been waiting for for a long time.

I'd probably end up cursing the lag and resource-creep and how it discourages personal control, but it sure is looking tastier and tastier these days.

Unity Webapps is mostly packaged now. I won't be able to package the rest until GNOME 3.6 is released as many of Unity's features require it now (Unity photos lens, Unity Webapps, new messages indicator, new power indicator, new ido, etc).

Btw, I'll package Everpad right now smile

EDIT: Packaged smile

EDIT2: The dependencies take a long time to compile sad

Last edited by chenxiaolong (2012-09-19 00:08:40)

#1035 2012-09-18 21:23:24

pekmop1024
Website

python-polib is not building with

==> Starting package()...
Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "setup.py", line 27, in <module>
    ''' % (open('README.rst').read(), open('CHANGELOG').read())
  File "/usr/lib/python3.2/encodings/ascii.py", line 26, in decode
    return codecs.ascii_decode(input, self.errors)[0]
UnicodeDecodeError: 'ascii' codec can't decode byte 0xc3 in position 542: ordinal not in range(128)
==> ERROR: A failure occurred in package().
    Aborting...

EDIT: when forced to use python2 in PKGBUILD, all ok.
EDIT2: seems that all unity-webapps needs python2?

Last edited by pekmop1024 (2012-09-18 21:40:23)

ArchLinux x86_64 (passively cooled): Xeon E3 1230v2 - 32GB - GTX1050Ti KalmX - Samsung 850 EVO 1TB - 3x2TB Seagate - Creative X-Fi Titanium - Cheiftec GPS-500C
ArchLinux x86_64 (FrankenPad T420): i7 2720QM - 16GB - NVS 4200M - Samsung 840 EVO 1TB - FullHD IPS mod - Intel 7260AC - Sierra Wireless MC7304

#1036 2012-09-18 21:30:38

franzor

kladd wrote:

I solved it by installing gnome-tweak-tool and setting the themes with it

Desktop PC: AMD Phenom XII 965-Black 8GB-Ram Ge-Force GTX-560ti Corsair Force GT/Crucial M4 Arch-Linux/Windows 7
Gaming Laptop: Intel-I7 2630QM 8GB-Ram Ge-Force GT-540m Ubuntu 12.04
Work Laptop: Intel-I3 2350 8GB-Ram Intel HD-Graphics Arch-Linux

#1037 2012-09-18 21:34:16

pekmop1024
Website

franzor wrote:

Great news. Is it need to be logged in to gnome shell session to do this?

ArchLinux x86_64 (passively cooled): Xeon E3 1230v2 - 32GB - GTX1050Ti KalmX - Samsung 850 EVO 1TB - 3x2TB Seagate - Creative X-Fi Titanium - Cheiftec GPS-500C
ArchLinux x86_64 (FrankenPad T420): i7 2720QM - 16GB - NVS 4200M - Samsung 840 EVO 1TB - FullHD IPS mod - Intel 7260AC - Sierra Wireless MC7304

#1038 2012-09-18 21:51:26

chenxiaolong

pekmop1024 wrote:

UnicodeDecodeError: 'ascii' codec can't decode byte 0xc3 in position 542: ordinal not in range(128)
    Aborting...

All of them should be using Python 3. That error is caused because LANG is not set to "en_US.UTF-8". I've worked around this in the PKGBUILD smile

#1039 2012-09-18 22:10:32

franzor

pekmop1024 wrote:
franzor wrote:

nope works with the normal unity session!

Desktop PC: AMD Phenom XII 965-Black 8GB-Ram Ge-Force GTX-560ti Corsair Force GT/Crucial M4 Arch-Linux/Windows 7

#1040 2012-09-18 22:57:17

franzor

Sorry for double posting!

But i have a little problem I cant quite fix...

1.) I cant move the close,minimize,maximize buttons to the left (/apps/metacity/button_layout is set to minimize,maximize,close: and suddenly the value is read-only?!)
2.) The indicator-datetime only shows "Time" instead of the real time. I'm quite sure i configured the time right (this is not my first arch install) I'm using localtime (since i have a windows 7 dualboot) but I also tried ntpd.
Strange thing is when i add a second time it shows in the drop down of the datetime indicator (both times are correct).

The second issue would be nice if someone knows whats wrong i went to bed at 5:00 a.m. today because I had no clock and time flew by ^^

#1041 2012-09-19 00:43:01

chenxiaolong

franzor wrote:

Sorry for double posting!

But i have a little problem I cant quite fix...

1.) I cant move the close,minimize,maximize buttons to the left (/apps/metacity/button_layout is set to minimize,maximize,close: and suddenly the value is read-only?!)

You can move the buttons by changing (in dconf-editor) org.gnome.desktop.wm.preferences.button-layout. Or you can run the following to set it to Ubuntu's defaults:

gsettings set org.gnome.desktop.wm.preferences button-layout "close,minimize,maximize:"

By the way, gconf will probably won't ever be used again in Ubuntu's software smile

franzor wrote:

2.) The indicator-datetime only shows "Time" instead of the real time. I'm quite sure i configured the time right (this is not my first arch install) I'm using localtime (since i have a windows 7 dualboot) but I also tried ntpd.
Strange thing is when i add a second time it shows in the drop down of the datetime indicator (both times are correct).

For this, just add your timezone to /etc/timezone smile The wiki page is here: https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Sy … tion_files You might as well create the other configuration files too as rc.conf will be deprecated with both systemd and SysVInit.

franzor wrote:

The second issue would be nice if someone knows whats wrong i went to bed at 5:00 a.m. today because I had no clock and time flew by ^^

big_smile big_smile

Last edited by chenxiaolong (2012-09-19 00:43:59)

#1042 2012-09-19 01:13:12

franzor

Once again you fixed my stuff! Thanks

I'll lay down now, kinda tired smile

#1043 2012-09-19 03:00:05

LinuxFrenzy

Loving XFCE but I am seriously considering using Unity.Now I can have Unity without having to install Ubuntu.Will try it out tonight.Once again thanks for the work you put in to bring Unity to Arch.

#1044 2012-09-19 05:14:34

chenxiaolong

oddfox wrote:
chenxiaolong wrote:
BKLive wrote:

The flickering is definitely fixed but now there seems to be a new issue rising.  When the Unredirect option is on it's very likely that animations and transitions don't happen gracefully.  I'm left with artifacts of other windows not going away when I attempt to minimize them, it's kind of like there's a redraw that never happened and only happens with some prodding by, say, attempting to move the window around by grabbing it from the top Unity bar.  When the Unredirect option is off, I still get occasional redrawing issues.  Screen content that was there shows up momentarily and then is gone again.  Really strange stuff and kind of disorienting!  Anyways, another detail is that when Unredirect is enabled things like Expo/Overview/etc don't show up at all.  I can't click the icons on the Unity panel to switch between multiple windows of the same app because the screen doesn't render the scale-down overview.  I can tell that my input was accepted, but there's nothing drawn, whatever window was open and visible stays open and visible.  I'm trying to hunt down any related bug report right now on Launchpad but haven't had success just yet.

I'd suggest compiling this bzr branch:

https://code.launchpad.net/~vanvugt/compiz/fix-unredirect-flicker

. The unredirect option fixes are not complete yet and that branch will get the latest commits.

I can write a PKGBUILD if you'd like smile

#1045 2012-09-19 05:15:07

chenxiaolong

franzor wrote:

Once again you fixed my stuff! Thanks

I'll lay down now, kinda tired smile

You're welcome! Good night smile

#1046 2012-09-19 05:15:57

chenxiaolong

LinuxFrenzy wrote:

Loving XFCE but I am seriously considering using Unity.Now I can have Unity without having to install Ubuntu.Will try it out tonight.Once again thanks for the work you put in to bring Unity to Arch.

I hope you enjoy Unity on Arch! If you there are any problems, please let me know smile

#1047 2012-09-19 05:45:59

oddfox
Website

A PKGBUILD would be awesome, I'm still a greenhorn when it comes to writing PKGBUILD files.  I pretty much know enough to add/remove patches and other small things but beyond that I start getting confused.  smile

#1048 2012-09-19 06:23:43

chenxiaolong

oddfox wrote:

A PKGBUILD would be awesome, I'm still a greenhorn when it comes to writing PKGBUILD files.  I pretty much know enough to add/remove patches and other small things but beyond that I start getting confused.  smile

Done smile Just update the git repo and run:

makepkg -p PKGBUILD-fix-unredirect-flicker

in the compiz-ubuntu directory. The latest commit shown here (https://code.launchpad.net/~vanvugt/com … ct-flicker) will be built (so a rebuild will update the package).

If you want to go back to the stable version, just install compiz-ubuntu again smile

Last edited by chenxiaolong (2012-09-19 06:24:09)

#1049 2012-09-19 10:15:23

roi.dm

chenxiaolong wrote:
pekmop1024 wrote:

Aborting...

All of them should be using Python 3. That error is caused because LANG is not set to "en_US.UTF-8". I've worked around this in the PKGBUILD smile

changing the PKGBUILD with this works fine

build() {
  cd "${srcdir}/polib-${pkgver}"
  python setup.py build
}

package() {
  cd "${srcdir}/polib-${pkgver}"
  python setup.py install --root="${pkgdir}/" --optimize=1
}

Last edited by roi.dm (2012-09-19 11:00:03)

#1050 2012-09-19 13:22:43

qiuwei

franzor wrote:
pekmop1024 wrote:
franzor wrote:

nope works with the normal unity session!

But i can't even get gnome-tweak-tool running here.  Always got this error:

WARNING : Shell not running
  File "/usr/lib/python2.7/site-packages/gtweak/tweaks/tweak_shell.py", line 59, in __init__
    self._shell = GnomeShellFactory().get_shell()
  File "/usr/lib/python2.7/site-packages/gtweak/utils.py", line 38, in getinstance
    instances[cls] = cls()
  File "/usr/lib/python2.7/site-packages/gtweak/gshellwrapper.py", line 143, in __init__
    proxy = _ShellProxy()
  File "/usr/lib/python2.7/site-packages/gtweak/gshellwrapper.py", line 44, in __init__
    result, output = self.proxy.Eval('(s)', js)
  File "/usr/lib/python2.7/site-packages/gi/overrides/Gio.py", line 148, in __call__
    kwargs.get('flags', 0), kwargs.get('timeout', -1), None)
  File "/usr/lib/python2.7/site-packages/gi/types.py", line 43, in function
    return info.invoke(*args, **kwargs)
GError: GDBus.Error:org.freedesktop.DBus.Error.ServiceUnknown: The name org.gnome.Shell was not provided by any .service files
WARNING : Could not list shell extensions
  File "/usr/lib/python2.7/site-packages/gtweak/tweaks/tweak_shell.py", line 64, in __init__
    extensions = self._shell.list_extensions()
AttributeError: ShellThemeTweak instance has no attribute '_shell'
INFO    : Missing gsettings org.gnome.shell.clock (key show-date)
INFO    : Missing gsettings org.gnome.shell.clock (key show-seconds)
INFO    : Missing gsettings org.gnome.shell.calendar (key show-weekdate)
INFO    : Missing gsettings org.gnome.shell.overrides (key button-layout)
INFO    : Missing gsettings org.gnome.shell.overrides (key workspaces-only-on-primary)
  File "/usr/bin/gnome-tweak-tool", line 76, in <module>
    MainWindow()
  File "/usr/lib/python2.7/site-packages/gtweak/mainwindow.py", line 44, in __init__
    model)
  File "/usr/lib/python2.7/site-packages/gtweak/tweakview.py", line 40, in __init__
    self._model.load_tweaks()
  File "/usr/lib/python2.7/site-packages/gtweak/tweakmodel.py", line 135, in load_tweaks
    mods = __import__("gtweak.tweaks", globals(), locals(), tweak_files, 0)
  File "/usr/lib/python2.7/site-packages/gtweak/tweaks/tweak_shell.py", line 239, in <module>
    StaticWorkspaceTweak(size_group=sg)),
  File "/usr/lib/python2.7/site-packages/gtweak/tweaks/tweak_shell.py", line 208, in __init__
    settings = GSettingsSetting(self.DYNAMIC_SCHEMA, **options)
  File "/usr/lib/python2.7/site-packages/gtweak/gsettings.py", line 91, in __init__
    raise GSettingsMissingError(schema_name)
gtweak.gsettings.GSettingsMissingError: org.gnome.shell.overrides

Board footer