You are not logged in.

#101 2011-10-31 07:42:43

sleepforlife

Re: Progress on Unity under Arch Linux!

PranavG wrote:

can anyone please post the step wise instructions for installing unity or unity-2d using the repo ? It will be of a great help to a newbie like me.

+1

#102 2011-10-31 10:18:45

rleyh

Just do a

makepkg -si

in every folder listed in README, from top to bottom.

Once every package has been built sucessfully, you should be able to select Unity in you login manager (gdm/kdm/lightdm/...).

You can even automate the compiling process by executing this in Unity-for-Arch directory:

cat README | grep "^[[:digit:]][[:digit:]]:" | sed -e 's/^..:\ \(.*[a-z0-9]\)\ .*->.*$/\1/g' > pkglist
for i in $(cat pkglist) ; do cd $i ; makepkg -si ; cd ../ ; done

Last edited by rleyh (2011-11-07 20:56:02)

#103 2011-10-31 14:03:53

chenxiaolong

rleyh wrote:

Just do a

makepkg -si

in every folder listed in README, from top to bottom.

Once every package has been built sucessfully, you should be able to select Unity in you login manager (gdm/kdm/lightdm/...).

You can even automate the compiling process by executing this in Unity-for-Arch directory:

cat README | grep "^[[:digit:]][[:digit:]]:" | sed -e 's/^..:\ \(.*[a-z0-9]\)\ .*->.*$/\1/g' > pkglist
for i in $(cat pkglist) ; do cd $i ; makepkg -si ; cd ../ ; done

Spot on big_smile To check for updates, you can run:

git pull

to update the PKGBUILD's and then:

./What_can_I_update\?.sh

to see which packages have later versions.

itsme wrote:
chenxiaolong wrote:

However, thanks to L42y, I will be able to host a package repository for all the packages (i686 and x86_64).

When approximately will be ready repository for x86_64?

It will probably take a few days. I'm going to start compiling today.

#104 2011-10-31 20:27:14

itsme

chenxiaolong wrote:
itsme wrote:
chenxiaolong wrote:

However, thanks to L42y, I will be able to host a package repository for all the packages (i686 and x86_64).

When approximately will be ready repository for x86_64?

It will probably take a few days. I'm going to start compiling today.

It would be great. Thanks.

#105 2011-10-31 22:47:28

chenxiaolong

Anybody here experiencing this bug: https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+sour … bug/877064 ? It's very annoying...

#106 2011-11-01 09:07:25

Ptiwee

Here are the packages for x86-64 (compiled yesterday) : http://www.megaupload.com/?d=U5URXPM7

Really good work, but I think some packages are missing (Like empathy with ubuntu patches or localisation, I'm french and Unity is in english sad)

#107 2011-11-01 14:08:01

chenxiaolong

Ptiwee wrote:

Here are the packages for x86-64 (compiled yesterday) : http://www.megaupload.com/?d=U5URXPM7

Really good work, but I think some packages are missing (Like empathy with ubuntu patches or localisation, I'm french and Unity is in english :()

Wow, that was quick! I'm still setting up a chroot to compile :P

If you have a list of packages that need Ubuntu patches, I'd be glad to package them. Do you know if Unity is translated in Ubuntu (is Unity translated into French when you're running Ubuntu)? If yes, I'll try to find out which package contains those files.

#108 2011-11-01 15:33:57

thn81

chenxiaolong wrote:

Do you know if Unity is translated in Ubuntu (is Unity translated into French when you're running Ubuntu)? If yes, I'll try to find out which package contains those files.

The localization files are mostly in the language-pack-XX-base and language-pack-gnome-XX-base packages (where XX is the language code). I have made an Arch package for german locales (for me, that is smile), but it is neither universal for other languages nor included in my released package collection. I could create some language packs and add them to my PKGBUILDS if anyone is interested.

#109 2011-11-01 16:02:20

chenxiaolong

thn81 wrote:
chenxiaolong wrote:

Do you know if Unity is translated in Ubuntu (is Unity translated into French when you're running Ubuntu)? If yes, I'll try to find out which package contains those files.

The localization files are mostly in the language-pack-XX-base and language-pack-gnome-XX-base packages (where XX is the language code). I have made an Arch package for german locales (for me, that is smile), but it is neither universal for other languages nor included in my released package collection. I could create some language packs and add them to my PKGBUILDS if anyone is interested.

Thanks for the info! I've reported a bug at Launchpad: https://bugs.launchpad.net/unity/+bug/884784 Hopefully, they will include the translations with the Unity source code.

#110 2011-11-04 21:32:08

thn81

New Unity-for-Arch package version (1.2.2). It contains mainly updated pkgbuilds and a new PKGBUILD for a small settings application for Unity2D (unity2d-settings). I also added some localization packages for language support other than english and the compiz packages that can be used for Unity(3D). XInput2.1 support was removed completely from Unity and Unity2D, the mtdev and utouch-* packages have thus been removed; they are not necessary anymore. Download link below.

Have fun
thn81

http://www.mediafire.com/?k6b461z9hqez33l

Edit: Upload package again because some download links were broken

Last edited by thn81 (2011-11-12 14:30:57)

#111 2011-11-07 01:56:43

chenxiaolong

thn81 wrote:

New Unity-for-Arch package version (1.2.2). It contains mainly updated pkgbuilds and a new PKGBUILD for a small settings application for Unity2D (unity2d-settings). I also added some localization packages for language support other than english and the compiz packages that can be used for Unity(3D). XInput2.1 support was removed completely from Unity and Unity2D, the mtdev and utouch-* packages have thus been removed; they are not necessary anymore. Download link below.

Have fun
thn81

http://www.mediafire.com/download.php?fl4pe4nl6r0hnhl

Nice! The localization packages must have taken awhile tongue

#112 2011-11-07 02:02:51

chenxiaolong

I've just added gconf-ubuntu to my git repository. It contains Ubuntu patches which allow setting GConf settings to a default value. So, the Unity and MT Handlers plugin in Compiz no longer need to be enabled manually. That is taken care of by GConf.

I've also fixed the Xorg packages in my repository, so the uTouch stack works now. Unfortunately, Ubuntu's Xorg version is behind (ABI changes), so the Xorg drivers will need to be compiled too. I currently have the following Xorg drivers in my repo:

xf86-input-evdev-ubuntu
xf86-input-synaptics-ubuntu
xf86-video-intel-ubuntu
xf86-video-nouveau-ubuntu
xf86-video-ati-ubuntu

I can package more drivers if needed. Once the Xorg Edgers Launchpad PPA contains uTouch patches for the current Arch Linux Xorg version (1.11.1), the official drivers in the repo will work fine.

#113 2011-11-07 15:01:31

unformatt

isn't it possible to upload it on aur?
There is a package there https://aur.archlinux.org/packages.php?ID=42311 but it's very old.

#114 2011-11-07 17:17:23

chenxiaolong

unformatt wrote:

isn't it possible to upload it on aur?
There is a package there https://aur.archlinux.org/packages.php?ID=42311 but it's very old.

Unfortunately not. Up to 83 packages need to be compiled and I don't maintain very many of those packages in the AUR. I will be providing binary packages soon, now that I've finally solved the problem with the Unity panel and dash not showing up by default.

If anyone has any good guides on setting up a chroot for compiling (preferably using Arch Linux tools), I'd appreciate it. I will need to create an x86_64 chroot (same as host architecture) and also a i686 chroot (cross compiling).

#115 2011-11-07 17:57:29

rleyh

This might be a stupid answer, but...

What about just creating another primary partition (might even be on some usb media), then booting from archiso 32bit and installing to that partition?
You should be able to chroot into this partition after you're done

Last edited by rleyh (2011-11-07 18:04:08)

#116 2011-11-07 18:31:35

chenxiaolong

rleyh wrote:

This might be a stupid answer, but...

What about just creating another primary partition (might even be on some usb media), then booting from archiso 32bit and installing to that partition?
You should be able to chroot into this partition after you're done

Nice idea, but I'm not sure if it'll work. I'm currently running Arch on an encrypted software RAID 0 and RAID 1. One tiny change to the partition structure and I'll need to reset the UEFI firmware for my laptop to boot again.

I'll try the USB media, though the UEFI firmware probably will refuse to boot from it sad

Last edited by chenxiaolong (2011-11-07 18:33:34)

#117 2011-11-07 18:46:42

rleyh

hm you do not need to boot from it, just install arch. you can even copy the finished arch installation to some folder on your hard disk, maybe fixing some stuff in /etc.
Also it should be possible to just grab the root-image.fs.sfs from an archlinux.iso and uncompress it to some random folder, but i cant manage to get the uncompressing part working :-P
For my sheeva plug they provide a rootfs.tar.gz for installation, but that's compiled for arm..

Last edited by rleyh (2011-11-07 19:10:52)

#118 2011-11-07 18:58:46

chenxiaolong

rleyh wrote:

hm you do not need to boot from it, just install arch. you can even copy the finished arch installation to some folder on your hard disk, maybe fixing some stuff in /etc.
Also it should be possible to just grab the root-image.fs.sfs from an archlinux.iso and uncompress it to some random folder, but i cant manage to the uncompressing part working :-P
For my sheeva plug they provide a rootfs.tar.gz for installation, but that's compiled for arm..

Ahhh...I see. Thanks! I'll try that!

#119 2011-11-10 19:56:41

kuglee

kuglee wrote:
osmano807 wrote:

Application switcher is  behind the windows of the programs
The launcher is behind the windows of the programs.

I had these problems too. I had to restart compiz in order to work normally, but I think the last update had fixed this bug.

I guess I was wrong. This bug is still present, and it's getting really annoying.

#120 2011-11-10 21:29:37

chenxiaolong

kuglee wrote:
kuglee wrote:
osmano807 wrote:

Application switcher is  behind the windows of the programs
The launcher is behind the windows of the programs.

I had these problems too. I had to restart compiz in order to work normally, but I think the last update had fixed this bug.

I guess I was wrong. This bug is still present, and it's getting really annoying.

It's very hard to pinpoint what causes this bug. The same bug probably also causes the alt-tab-making-windows-vanish problem that I have.

#121 2011-11-11 12:51:15

thn81

chenxiaolong wrote:

It's very hard to pinpoint what causes this bug. The same bug probably also causes the alt-tab-making-windows-vanish problem that I have.

I never observed either of those bugs. When do they occur? How do you trigger their behaviour? Is there an entry in the ubuntu launchpad bugtracker?

#122 2011-11-11 14:27:23

chenxiaolong

thn81 wrote:
chenxiaolong wrote:

I never observed either of those bugs. When do they occur? How do you trigger their behaviour? Is there an entry in the ubuntu launchpad bugtracker?

The bug where the dash opens behind all the windows doesn't happen very much to me, so I'm not sure how to reproduce it. For the other bug, if I Alt-Tab and choose "Show Desktop" and then switch back to an application, some or all of the windows (of any app) will disappear.

ps aux

shows that the app is still running and switching to another window manager and then back to compiz will make the windows appear again.

When this happens, compiz outputs this error message:

compiz (core) - Debug: refusing to manage window 0x########

EDIT: I found the Launchpad bug for the first bug: https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+sour … bug/805087 The bug says that's it's fixed, but if you look at the comments, it seems that many people are still having this problem, even on Ubuntu.

Last edited by chenxiaolong (2011-11-11 14:54:44)

#123 2011-11-11 21:40:58

thn81

chenxiaolong wrote:

The bug where the dash opens behind all the windows doesn't happen very much to me, so I'm not sure how to reproduce it. For the other bug, if I Alt-Tab and choose "Show Desktop" and then switch back to an application, some or all of the windows (of any app) will disappear.

ps aux

shows that the app is still running and switching to another window manager and then back to compiz will make the windows appear again.

When this happens, compiz outputs this error message:

compiz (core) - Debug: refusing to manage window 0x########

EDIT: I found the Launchpad bug for the first bug: https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+sour … bug/805087 The bug says that's it's fixed, but if you look at the comments, it seems that many people are still having this problem, even on Ubuntu.

Well, I have spent the last three hours trying to trigger any of those bugs: nada. Everything works as expected for me. However I should note that I am not using the 4.24 version of Unity but a patched one with the latest development code from trunk. This also requires a new version of nux (trunk from launchpad). Maybe the bug 805087 really is fixed now in the development version.
I also doubt that the Alt-Tab-Bug you are experiencing is connected to the former one. It looks more like a communication-problem-bug between compiz and the xserver. Does this bug also occur if you use unpatched xorg packages?

#124 2011-11-12 06:30:29

chenxiaolong

thn81 wrote:

Well, I have spent the last three hours trying to trigger any of those bugs: nada. Everything works as expected for me. However I should note that I am not using the 4.24 version of Unity but a patched one with the latest development code from trunk. This also requires a new version of nux (trunk from launchpad). Maybe the bug 805087 really is fixed now in the development version.
I also doubt that the Alt-Tab-Bug you are experiencing is connected to the former one. It looks more like a communication-problem-bug between compiz and the xserver. Does this bug also occur if you use unpatched xorg packages?

Thanks a lot for your time and effort!

It's great that everything works in the latest development code! I'll look into the Compiz and Xorg packages to try to see what causes it. I have another Arch Linux computer with an unpatched Xorg, so I'll test on that tomorrow.

Last edited by chenxiaolong (2011-11-12 06:42:31)

#125 2011-11-12 10:58:41

maxie

Hi

In a few packages, I get the following error message during installation.

/usr/bin/perl: symbol lookup error: /usr/lib/perl5/site_perl/auto/threads/shared/shared.so: undefined symbol: Perl_Istack_sp_ptr
autoreconf: automake failed with exit status: 127

Is anyone familiar with this problem?

Board footer