You are not logged in.

#2451 2014-01-03 00:01:33

LouisDK

Re: Progress on Unity under Arch Linux!

I've installed Unity and it works quite well. Thank you for taking your time to port Unity over to Arch.

However I do have some issues:

1. Many native Gnome apps does not have a tittle bar. In Gnome Shell you can fix this by installing this extension: https://extensions.gnome.org/extension/ … _titlebar/

Is there a hack for Unity?

2. Some Unity specific settings like week date in calender and date and weekday next to the clock can't be customized because you can't change this from the Gnome Control Center.

Could it be an idea to include gnome-control-center-unity in the repo or the upcoming  unity-control-center?

3. If you use Chrome/Chromium under Ubuntu with Unity it'll automatically integrate with the appmenu (top menu).

Why does it do that under Unity in Arch? Does it need a hack?

#2452 2014-01-04 00:42:46

midfingr

LouisDK wrote:

I've installed Unity and it works quite well. Thank you for taking your time to port Unity over to Arch.

2. Some Unity specific settings like week date in calender and date and weekday next to the clock can't be customized because you can't change this from the Gnome Control Center.

Could it be an idea to include gnome-control-center-unity in the repo or the upcoming  unity-control-center?

Hi,
You can adjust the clock settings with unity-tweak-tool. You can get it via pacman, however you may need the packages from git as well:
https://github.com/freyja-dev/unity-tweak-tool
Download the zip file, extract, run tweak tool from a terminal.

#2453 2014-01-04 01:53:22

LouisDK

midfingr wrote:
LouisDK wrote:

Hi,
You can adjust the clock settings with unity-tweak-tool. You can get it via pacman, however you may need the packages from git as well:
https://github.com/freyja-dev/unity-tweak-tool
Download the zip file, extract, run tweak tool from a terminal.

I've installed Unity Tweak Tool from the Unity-for-Arch-Extra repo however I can't find the application on my system or in the terminal. However I tweaked the clock settings with dconf-editor.

UPDATE:

Downloaded all files in this directory: https://github.com/chenxiaolong/Unity-f … tweak-tool except compare_versions.sh and build unity-tweak-tool with makepkg -si and now it can be launched both from the dash and the terminal. Seems like the binary package is broken. may you should rebuild it chenxiaolong?

Last edited by LouisDK (2014-01-04 02:08:53)

#2454 2014-01-04 18:10:05

denysonique

LouisDK wrote:

However I do have some issues:

3. If you use Chrome/Chromium under Ubuntu with Unity it'll automatically integrate with the appmenu (top menu).

Why does it do that under Unity in Arch? Does it need a hack?

You are right it does need a hack. Ubuntu distributes patched versions of  Chromium, Firefox and Thunderbird. Currently I am running Unity on Gentoo (haven't installed Arch yet) and here you can see  the patches being applied https://github.com/shiznix/unity-gentoo … p01.ebuild

#2455 2014-01-06 19:50:07

Riley88

okay so i managed to get everything working i got unity-tweak installed but it dosnt work i was wondering if there was another way to change the side bar icon size  thats the only thing thats really bugging me atm

Last edited by Riley88 (2014-01-07 04:10:51)

HARDWARE ASUS K55A-RBR6 LAPTOP
Arch Linux 64bit Awesome WM
My setup http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8il5sR9fxBM

#2456 2014-01-06 19:54:44

darkshines

Riley88 wrote:

okay so i managed to get everything working i got unity-tweak installed but it dosnt work i was wondering if there was another way to get change the side bar icon size  thats the only thing thats really bugging me atm

Start "ccsm" (if you don't know what that is: it's the settings manager for the compositing manager compiz) and click on "Ubuntu Unity Plugin" under "Desktop". Under the "Launcher" tab there is a setting at the bottom called "Launcher icon size", which is the droid you are looking for wink

Unity for Arch! Check it out https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/unity

#2457 2014-01-06 20:08:44

Riley88

darkshines wrote:
Riley88 wrote:

okay so i managed to get everything working i got unity-tweak installed but it dosnt work i was wondering if there was another way to get change the side bar icon size  thats the only thing thats really bugging me atm

Start "ccsm" (if you don't know what that is: it's the settings manager for the compositing manager compiz) and click on "Ubuntu Unity Plugin" under "Desktop". Under the "Launcher" tab there is a setting at the bottom called "Launcher icon size", which is the droid you are looking for wink

thx man that fixed now i just need to get the lense to desktop mode instead of full screen and ill be set

HARDWARE ASUS K55A-RBR6 LAPTOP
Arch Linux 64bit Awesome WM
My setup http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8il5sR9fxBM

#2458 2014-01-08 03:29:31

LouisDK

denysonique wrote:

You are right it does need a hack. Ubuntu distributes patched versions of  Chromium, Firefox and Thunderbird. Currently I am running Unity on Gentoo (haven't installed Arch yet) and here you can see  the patches being applied https://github.com/shiznix/unity-gentoo … p01.ebuild

Interesting. That sounds pretty logical since Chromium is open source and can be patched, however Google Chrome is not and If I install the deb for Google Chrome from Google on Ubuntu the appmenu is automatically supported. However if I install Google Chrome for AUR, there is no support for appmenu. I don't understand this since the PKGBUILD also uses the deb-file. I've looked in the PKGBUILD, content of deb and settings of Google Chrome I can't find anywhere to enable/disable appmenu support.

Last edited by LouisDK (2014-01-08 03:32:12)

#2459 2014-01-09 11:35:22

darkshines

Is there any progress on fixing the missing decorations in nautilus, system settings, etc. ?

#2460 2014-01-15 15:36:56

gauravpadia

Hi, I think lighdm-ubuntu stopped working after upgrade of libgcrypt package to 1.6.0. Is there anybody having issue with lightdm-ubuntu ?

#2461 2014-01-15 15:38:12

darkshines

@gauravpadia: Yes, I had the same issue. I installed lightdm-ubuntu from the AUR and now it works.

#2462 2014-01-15 18:08:18

gianluca.pettinello

darkshines wrote:

@gauravpadia: Yes, I had the same issue. I installed lightdm-ubuntu from the AUR and now it works.

+1. Recompiled from source solved the problem.

#2463 2014-01-27 20:51:54

timde9

installed unity as per the wiki instructions using testing repo.  When trying to start unity from lightdm nothing happens and the screen flashes black and lightdm comes up again.  Tried to start unity with "unity" command and it gave me error about display variable.  I tried google and searched the forums and I saw it mentioned somewhere in this thread on page 56 i think but nobody ever answered the question.

the error starts like this

WARNING: no DISPLAY variable set, setting it to :0

edit: got into unity after installing cinnamon but there is no panel windows or anything. i get stuck and have to restart

Last edited by timde9 (2014-01-27 21:27:41)

#2464 2014-02-02 12:31:07

gianluca.pettinello

timde9 wrote:

installed unity as per the wiki instructions using testing repo.  When trying to start unity from lightdm nothing happens and the screen flashes black and lightdm comes up again.  Tried to start unity with "unity" command and it gave me error about display variable.  I tried google and searched the forums and I saw it mentioned somewhere in this thread on page 56 i think but nobody ever answered the question.

the error starts like this

WARNING: no DISPLAY variable set, setting it to :0

edit: got into unity after installing cinnamon but there is no panel windows or anything. i get stuck and have to restart

Try compiz.reset from cinnamon. Then from ccsm enable unity plugin

#2465 2014-02-14 16:19:34

chenxiaolong

This is awesome news for us smile http://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?page=n … px=MTYwNDE

Unity started getting more and more dependent on Upstart, but it looks like they'll have to revert all that now.

#2466 2014-02-16 12:20:18

mieLouk

Hi, I want to install UfA alongside XFCE, but I ran into a few problems.

~ $ LANG=C sudo pacman -S $(pacman -Slq Unity-for-Arch)
warning: downgrading package libdbusmenu-glib (12.10.3daily13.11.25-100 => 12.10.2-3)
warning: libdbusmenu-gtk2-12.10.3daily13.11.25-100 is up to date -- reinstalling
warning: downgrading package libdbusmenu-gtk3 (12.10.3daily13.11.25-100 => 12.10.2-3)
warning: libindicate-12.10.1-110 is up to date -- reinstalling
resolving dependencies...
looking for inter-conflicts...
warning: removing 'dee' from target list because it conflicts with 'dee-ubuntu'
:: gsettings-desktop-schemas-ubuntu and gsettings-desktop-schemas are in conflict. Remove gsettings-desktop-schemas? [y/N] y
:: gtk3-ubuntu and gtk3 are in conflict. Remove gtk3? [y/N] y
:: gtk2-ubuntu and gtk2 are in conflict. Remove gtk2? [y/N] y
:: network-manager-applet-ubuntu and network-manager-applet are in conflict. Remove network-manager-applet? [y/N] y
:: qt4-ubuntu and qt4 are in conflict. Remove qt4? [y/N] y
:: zeitgeist-ubuntu and zeitgeist are in conflict (zeitgeist-datahub). Remove zeitgeist? [y/N] y
error: failed to prepare transaction (could not satisfy dependencies)
:: libdbusmenu-gtk2: requires libdbusmenu-glib=12.10.3daily13.11.25
:: libindicate: requires libdbusmenu 

Is it safe to change these packages? How do I circumvent the libdbusmenu downgrade?

Debian/Ubuntu switching to systemd is really great big_smile

#2467 2014-02-16 19:09:13

chenxiaolong

mieLouk wrote:

Hi, I want to install UfA alongside XFCE, but I ran into a few problems.

~ $ LANG=C sudo pacman -S $(pacman -Slq Unity-for-Arch)
warning: downgrading package libdbusmenu-glib (12.10.3daily13.11.25-100 => 12.10.2-3)
warning: libdbusmenu-gtk2-12.10.3daily13.11.25-100 is up to date -- reinstalling
warning: downgrading package libdbusmenu-gtk3 (12.10.3daily13.11.25-100 => 12.10.2-3)
warning: libindicate-12.10.1-110 is up to date -- reinstalling
resolving dependencies...
looking for inter-conflicts...
warning: removing 'dee' from target list because it conflicts with 'dee-ubuntu'
:: gsettings-desktop-schemas-ubuntu and gsettings-desktop-schemas are in conflict. Remove gsettings-desktop-schemas? [y/N] y
:: gtk3-ubuntu and gtk3 are in conflict. Remove gtk3? [y/N] y
:: gtk2-ubuntu and gtk2 are in conflict. Remove gtk2? [y/N] y
:: network-manager-applet-ubuntu and network-manager-applet are in conflict. Remove network-manager-applet? [y/N] y
:: qt4-ubuntu and qt4 are in conflict. Remove qt4? [y/N] y
:: zeitgeist-ubuntu and zeitgeist are in conflict (zeitgeist-datahub). Remove zeitgeist? [y/N] y
error: failed to prepare transaction (could not satisfy dependencies)
:: libdbusmenu-gtk2: requires libdbusmenu-glib=12.10.3daily13.11.25
:: libindicate: requires libdbusmenu 

Is it safe to change these packages? How do I circumvent the libdbusmenu downgrade?

Debian/Ubuntu switching to systemd is really great big_smile

Ah, yes. In /etc/pacman.conf, you'll need to move the Unity-for-Arch repos above the community repo. Even though I provide newer package versions, pacman will choose the older ones in [community] because it's listed first smile

#2468 2014-02-17 16:36:42

mieLouk

Ah, yes. In /etc/pacman.conf, you'll need to move the Unity-for-Arch repos above the community repo. Even though I provide newer package versions, pacman will choose the older ones in [community] because it's listed first smile

Thx, that helped. I should have got this on my own hmm

There's some odd behavior now, which seems to influence the launcher in Unity and the startup in XFCE?
The launcher doesn't react when I strike the winkey under Unity, after starting any programm it reacts normally. On my laptop with only Unity, this doesn't happen.
There are a few seconds delay after starting up XFCE. After I'm able to start programms (10 seconds), launching the appfinder takes about 4 seconds, each time. Which package could have influenced this?

EDIT: Solved the problem in Unity with installing the whole Extra repo.

Last edited by mieLouk (2014-02-17 17:23:05)

#2469 2014-02-19 16:24:20

mieLouk

What is the proper command/procedure to remove Unity for Arch?

EDIT: Got the Extra packages off the system, but when I try to do the same with the main repo. After removing Extra, no keybindings in XFCE work anymore, at all!! Not even Alt+Tab!

Dee is taken off the list while installing UfA, but it's still a dependency. Each time I try to remove all of it, always is dee or dee-ubuntu in the way.

Packages that depend on [dee-ubuntu]
  bamf
  hud
  indicator-appmenu
  libunity
  libunity-webapps
  nautilus-ubuntu
  unity
  unity-lens-applications
  unity-lens-files
  unity-lens-music
  unity-lens-photos
  unity-lens-video
  unity-scope-home
  unity-scopes

Packages that depend on [dee]
  unity-lens-photos
  unity-lens-video
  unity-scope-home
  unity-scopes

EDIT2: Got it removed the hard way -Rdd and reinstalling gtk2 gtk3 qt4 and gsettings-desktop-schemas. Still left with a crippled XFCE, do I have to add that I'm more than pissed?

Last edited by mieLouk (2014-02-23 16:17:31)

#2470 2014-02-24 17:34:15

oi_wtf

just go through the README-list backwards,
if its a package replacing an arch package, install the arch package
if it's not, remove it.

Laptop:   Arch Linux (x86_64) and Win10 (x86_64);  Intel Core i7-3630QM @ 2.40GHz, 8 GiB RAM, NViDiA GeForce GT 650M w/ 2 GiB
Desktop: Arch Linux (x86_64) and Win10 (x86_64);  Intel Core i7-4771  @ 3.50GHz, 32 GiB RAM, AMD Radeon RX 480 w/ 8 GiB

#2471 2014-02-26 08:15:28

Tarr

Just installed unity from the dropbox repositories and it works quite smoothly, thanks alot for the work! I'm quite impressed by the whole thing.

Issues I've encountered so far:

- Something is wrong with the display detection and settings, Settings->Display comes up with "Could not get screen information". And when the system wakes up from suspend after I drove to work, where the monitor is smaller than the one I've got at home, the display stays blacks. Not sure what could cause this, anyone got a hint?

- In some settings dialogs the background is transparent instead of solid, kind of confusing, any ideas?

- Setting up telepathy was somewhat un-intuitive as it requires alot of optional deps to actually be of use (but after all this is arch .)

- Minimize of vmware-workstation 10 doesn't really work all that well, it causes a massive lag spike

- Nedit (motif based build) search dialog keeps shrinking when opened repeatedly, I've seen that on ubuntu 13.10 too, gonna dig into it.

But all in all, very nice, definitly a great DE.

#2472 2014-02-26 09:16:03

Tarr

The shrinking of windows is related to https://bugs.launchpad.net/compiz/+bug/1238111, but the compiz version in the dropbox is probably not recent enough to contain the fix.

The patch associated to the bug above works just fine with compiz 0.9.10 (It seems someone tried to optimize things which should not be optimized, just a few lines that need changing), I've uploaded it on pastebin as http://pastebin.com/GJXbimDh

Last edited by Tarr (2014-02-26 10:46:43)

#2473 2014-02-28 22:08:23

agszepp

I get the following error when I try to run pacman -Syu:

:: Synchronizing package databases...
 core is up to date
 extra is up to date
 Unity-for-Arch            14.8 KiB   314K/s 00:00 [######################] 100%
error: failed retrieving file 'Unity-for-Arch.db' from dl.dropbox.com : The requested URL returned error: 404 NOT FOUND
error: failed to update Unity-for-Arch (download library error)
 community is up to date
 multilib is up to date

Here's my pacman.conf:

#[testing]
#Include = /etc/pacman.d/mirrorlist

[core]
Include = /etc/pacman.d/mirrorlist

[extra]

#[community-testing]

[Unity-for-Arch]
SigLevel = Optional TrustAll
Server = http://dl.dropbox.com/u/486665/Repos/Unity-for-Arch/$arch

[Unity-for-Arch]
SigLevel = Optional TrustAll
Server = http://dl.dropbox.com/u/486665/Repos/Unity-for-Arch-Extra/$arch

[community]

# If you want to run 32 bit applications on your x86_64 system,
# enable the multilib repositories as required here.

#[multilib-testing]

[multilib]

Is there a fix for this?

EDIT: I solved it. I had Unity-for-Arch twice in there, so I replaced the second one with Unity-for-Arch-Extra.

Last edited by agszepp (2014-03-01 03:37:06)

#2474 2014-03-05 22:20:11

agszepp

I am trying to change the background, but I can't access my Pictures folder. None of the folders were created that are created on Ubuntu and other distros when I instaled Unity, except the Desktop folder. They also don't have proper icons. Here's the message that I get when I try to access my Pictures folder: http://i.imgur.com/LT6GCXb.png. What should I do?

#2475 2014-03-10 09:52:46

cguenther

i did a full system upgrade today an i can't Boot anymore to the unity desktop. my dmesg shows "compiz[6556]: segfault at 0 ip 00007f7b9b0711ad sp 00007fff95614740 error 4 in libunityshell.so[7f7b9aeac000+483000]". Also a second line with segfaul of compiz inside libunityshell follows. I tried the compiz.reset, but the step 3 gives an error for creating the commandline.  What can I do to geht a real clean unity compiz? I also tried uninstalling all unity arch packages and reinstalled them. But it does not fixed it.

Board footer