You are not logged in.

#1 2011-08-28 18:34:26

M4he

HDA NVidia - crackling sound only when CPU load is low

Very weird problem here on my hp mini 311 with hda nvidia sound chip (loaded through snd_hda_intel)

If I play sound via alsa only (removing /etc/asound.conf which contains pulse links) I get massive crackling and popping through speakers/headphones.
If i play sound via pulseaudio (restoring the conf and setting music player to pulse) the crackling and popping isn't as bad but still noticeable.

Now the quirk: If I turn my CPU on high load (yes > /dev/null) the crackling completely disappears in both cases. As soon as I kill the process the crackling reappears immediately.

Please help!

Last edited by M4he (2011-08-30 11:36:05)

Arch - makes me feel right at /home

#2 2011-08-28 19:27:16

brebs

Re: HDA NVidia - crackling sound only when CPU load is low

Try setting processor.max_cstate.

#3 2011-08-29 08:17:46

M4he

Thanks for your response brebs!

Today the problem mysteriously disappeared out of the blue.
The only thing I remember changing in comparison to yesterday is deleting the sessions folder from ~/.cache/
I did this merely because I was getting 2 terminal windows on startup everytime because after installing Xfce I did not switch off the session saving at first therefore there was an old session left there all the time.

I now remember having exactly the same sound issue on this machine with xubuntu years ago. I didn't solve it back then.
I'm pondering if there's a connection, because I'm using Xfce now too.

I will continue to observe the sound output. If this problem doesn't reappear, I will mark this as solved soon.

Last edited by M4he (2011-08-30 11:37:47)

#4 2011-08-30 11:42:33

M4he

Today the problem reappeared after putting the laptop into standby and waking it up again.

A restart didn't help. Only turning the laptop completely off and starting it again got rid off the issue for now.

Seems like the issue is related to standby!

Is it possible to reset the audio hardware via cli?
I tried rmmod snd_hda_intel but it says the device is in use; killing pulseaudio and stopping alsa doesn't work either...

Thanks in advance.

Board footer